Apple Car play on new E Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pepi1677

Car
E Class
This is my first post so I hope I'm not breaking any rules. I am considering the new E Class estate. The I had a quick look around the entertainment system, it appears that when you have an iPhone paired using CarPlay, it then does not allow you to use the car's navigation systems. I was only able to with to radio. Is this correct?

Yip! When you switch to AirPlay a load of comand features become unavailable, including Nav. A bit frustrating!!

Thanks for responding, the odd thing is I've looked at the Volvo V90 and the new 5 Series and the opposite is true. In both cases you can have it connected to Apple CarPlay and then still use the car's media and navigation features.

I was hoping that either it was not true or it had been fixed.

I don't use CarPlay but I do use SIRI. If you long press the voice button on the steering wheel, SIRI answers. That is quite handy sine the "Read Text" command works but neither write or reply are allowed in Comand. The ICE/electronics is not perfect but overall, I love my W213.

I do like the look and feel of it but it's a shame this functionality is not available. Could be a deal breaker for mr as I'm a heavy podcast user.

I don't use podcasts but I would think that you can play them through the media system just like music. If you can ask SIRI to play a particular podcast it should work fine.

I've never had a "Perfect " vehicle, there are always a few compromises. This one, comfort and suspension great, performance great, economy pretty good, toys loads and media OK. I suppose you pays your money and makes your choice.

You say you've never had the perfect veh and list the good stuff, what's not so good? Which spec do you have?

I picked up my E350d Premium Plus (with 360 cameras, widescreen cockpit & metallic paint) at midnight 1st March from Mercedes Southend, who are great BTW. Faults that were not addressed immediately, none.

Disappointing:
Unable to load Personal POI's ( Safety camera warnings) like I had on my XF.
Can't upload music to Hard Drive but have 2 USB ports and an SD Card slot so not really a problem.
Parktronic is a little strange. It only beeps while car is in motion. Just not what I am used to.
Comand will read texts but not write or reply on iPhone. However, SIRI will, so that's OK.
Comand can be a little "fiddley" to use at times but is functional.

Pleasing:
Build quality is superb.
Service from dealership outstanding.
Central support (Mercedes Me) really impressive.
Ride, especially with Air, far better than competitors.
Performance exhilarating!

Be aware that if you want a drivers car, then I would say the XF is better. If you want comfort it's the E class. If you want an expensive badge that is neither, then a 5 Series IMO.

Thanks, sounds like overall you are happy. I am due to test drive one next week so it will interesting to see how I get on.

>> Unable to load Personal POI's ( Safety camera warnings) like I had on my XF.

Are you sure? This is certainly possible on Comand version 4.7. Your new E class will have Comand 5 and it looks from the online manual as though loading Personal POIs from SD card is still supported. If that's true, I wrote a freeware program to load speed camera data which you can download here:

http://www.freepoc.org/download/SpeedCam100.zip

Might be worth a try.

Regards,
Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to import them. There are other threads about this here. It appears that W213 has NGT5.5 which is different. If however you have any suggestions, I would really like to hear them.

Edit:
I just looked at the download and the instructions show screens that I don't have. Nowhere are Personal POI's mentioned!!

Last edited:
Ah, that's a shame. Maybe the online manual is for the previous version. If the option isn't there, then there's nothing else I can suggest. It's a pity they removed the functionality.

It's a pity doesn't really cover it. It is really annoying that this functionality should just be dropped without warning.

I noticed that SCDB has it listed on their site as working but the instructions are a bit strange? I tried to contact them but they only accept enquiries from paid up customers. I would of course pay if they can do it but paying just to ask is crazy!

You are right - 'really annoying' is a better description. I just looked at the SCDB site and they have a note to say that Comand 5.5 on the Mercedes E Class isn't supported. So I guess that's a definite no then. Sorry not to be able to help after all.

malbry said:
You are right - 'really annoying' is a better description. I just looked at the SCDB site and they have a note to say that Comand 5.5 on the Mercedes E Class isn't supported. So I guess that's a definite no then. Sorry not to be able to help after all.

But if you look up Comand 5.5 on their site it actually gives you instructions on how to do it! OK, they are wrong..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom