apple car play W204 is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasons

SUPPORTER
Car
w204 c220 cdi sport
hi i have a W204 2012MY and i was thinking of getting apple car play installed i have the audio 20 unit with the becker map pilot,has anybody got any links to a system they have got or used i plan on keeping the car for a while is it a worthwhile upgrade i looked on command online and braybrooks and it seems rather expensive to have it fitted.

hi i have a W204 2012MY and i was thinking of getting apple car play installed i have the audio 20 unit with the becker map pilot,has anybody got any links to a system they have got or used i plan on keeping the car for a while is it a worthwhile upgrade i looked on command online and braybrooks and it seems rather expensive to have it fitted.
Its expensive because the W204 was never available with factory Apple CarPlay / Android Auto. So, it requires a third party interface to be integrated into the current system. Its much more work than retrofitting factory Apple CarPlay / Android Auto.

You could opt for a Chinese 10.25" Android unit (which will have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto built-in), but these are Marmite - some like them, some don't.

Price-wise, they will be somewhat cheaper than the British-made add-on that Alfie mentioned, and will cost around ~£300 (plus fitting).

Personally, I prefer keeping the original look-and-feel, so didn't fit one of these.

It's useful to have, particularly if you want to be 'legal' and avoid touching your phone while on the move. The main things are access to playlists if you use your phone for music, and having free navigation apps like Waze or Google Maps available on the car screen (always up to date, usually show speed cameras, and tend to have the most reliable live traffic data). Whether it's worthwhile or not depends on the cost and how much you will use these things.

I also have W204 MY2012 and fitted a unit from Road Top

They’re available on Amazon UK but I opted to buy direct as was much cheaper - I had no import costs, postman just delivered as normal.

Hardest part was fitting the T harness behind the existing HU (I have Comand) as was really tight with all the wiring, but I placed the unit itself behind the carpet in the passenger footwell/central tunnel area without much problem.

Plenty of YouTube videos showing the fitting and usage is very straight forward.

Whereabouts in Suffolk are you? I live in Norfolk but work in Martlesham so am happy to show you the system in use.

I also have W204 MY2012 and fitted a unit from Road Top

They’re available on Amazon UK but I opted to buy direct as was much cheaper - I had no import costs, postman just delivered as normal.

Hardest part was fitting the T harness behind the existing HU (I have Comand) as was really tight with all the wiring, but I placed the unit itself behind the carpet in the passenger footwell/central tunnel area without much problem.

Plenty of YouTube videos showing the fitting and usage is very straight forward.

Whereabouts in Suffolk are you? I live in Norfolk but work in Martlesham so am happy to show you the system in use.
that's very kind of you to offer,i am in red lodge near newmarket so a bit far from martlesham although I know martlesham quite well I used to work there many years agony am still undecided on what I am going to do.

that's very kind of you to offer,i am in red lodge near newmarket so a bit far from martlesham although I know martlesham quite well I used to work there many years agony am still undecided on what I am going to do.
No problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom