Apple Carplay & Android Auto not connecting (NTG 5.5)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
We recently got a 2019 S205 with NTG 5.5 and Apple CarPlay / Android Auto. It's under warranty so I can take it to a dealer after they re-open next week, but I'm asking here in case there's anything quick & simple I've missed!

The device list in both ACP and AA shows no devices connected when a phone is hooked up to the USB data socket at the front of the console (next to the wireless charging mat). Nothing happens on the phones when plugged in - they don't even charge (which they do from either of the USB charge sockets under the central armrest). For each one we've tried a couple of different data cables, which work fine for connection to a desktop PC. The data socket is illuminated, so there's power to that area. I've been through the online manual and in-car help ... the phones have compatible versions of iOS and Android, and the Android phone has AA downloaded & installed (and it opens fine).

Is there anything I've missed? One thing is that the car isn't linked to Mercedes Me yet as the VIN needs to be released (again we can't do that until the local service dept. re-opens), but that shouldn't matter? I've had a trawl through the system settings but couldn't spot anything obvious relating to the USB data port. I'm quite happy listening to the radio but Mrs BTB wants to be able to access the libraries on her iPhone!

Many thanks in advance :)

Also - my understanding is that Apple CarPlay requires a one-tome activation - do you know for fact it has been activated on your car?

PS - I agree that it's odd that the USB ports aren't charging - some USB ports don't have sufficient Amps but I wouldn't expect such a port on a 2019 car.

Thanks for the suggestions folks - will have a go. Without Mercedes Me I can't check whether it shows as active, but the fact that the socket doesn't even charge is a bit suspicious (as is the fact that neither phone type works). Worst case I'm sure the local dealer will be able to sort it ... the car is an ex-demonstrator and was sold as having Apple CarPlay and Android Auto on it.

Reactions: Ted
Pretty sure that if it is activated it will show in the display.

Attachments

• 25560EE3-D5FF-4928-903E-F8CBF65B8884.jpeg
    25560EE3-D5FF-4928-903E-F8CBF65B8884.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 12
Thanks, yes both options are there on the 'Connect' menu in the display.

Well, as an IT professional, all I can say is: reboot the iPhone..............

Update on this - it needs a new multimedia module(?) ... on order and due to be fitted Wednesday.

Thought I'd give an update on this in case anyone else gets similar symptoms..

A new media control module fixed the issue short-term, but the problem came back. Intermittently to start with (while driving along Android Auto would repeatedly disconnect/reconnect), then it stopped working completely. The USB data port would charge a phone with the ignition off, but as soon as you started the engine charging stopped.

It went to a local dealer for a recall this week and I asked them to look at the USB device connection issue at the same time. They ordered another media control module and commented on the fact that there was a new part number for this now, suggesting it had been revised. Unfortunately though this hasn't solved the problem so I've left it with them over the weekend for further investigation.

To close this out, the final diagnosis was that it was a 'software issue'. Very helpful dealership (not the one we bought the car from) got a tech to sit in the car on collection and go through everything - no problems since. Only slight inconvenience was that the system had been reset back to initial defaults, so I spent an hour or so re-pairing our phones, setting up home location / favourites / etc. and remembering all the various things I'd tweaked!

Yes, the car is just under 2 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom