Apple CarPlay - C Class 68 Plate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VPatel2707

Car
Mercedes Benz C Class C220D
Hi there
Please can someone help?

I picked up a 68 plate Mercedes Benz C Class 68 plate last week at MB of Leeds - the car was advertised as a Premium so therefore came with wireless charging and smartphone integration.

When I came home, I plugged in my Apple wire using the USB port 0 - it has a picture of a phone/tablet on it. However, nothing was recognised and it didn’t load.

As the car has MB warranty, I took it today to my local dealership (MB of Bolton) and they said that they looked on their systems and my car doesn’t have the Apple CarPlay feature. I explained that it was advertised as that, there is a port in the car and there’s an option on the Comand Online system to operate it. I asked if they could inside the car - they said no and sent me on my way.

I have emailed MB of Leeds to clarify but I am sure that the car does have CarPlay - it’s just that perhaps the USB port is faulty on the car? I’ve tried 5 different wires - although I haven’t yet tried an official MB wire.

I’ve attached a few pictures - one picture shows the port in the car, the other shows the menu option and the other shows a website I’ve used decode the VIN.

Unless I’m missing something - my car has CarPlay. However, does the wire I use have to be the official MB wire?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Vijay

911CF82F-750E-4716-9B26-B459E70D0A06.jpeg7FA464CB-589E-45F5-ADB2-219FEBCC1D64.jpeg55F172DF-38FC-4C6C-9C3A-EFB6BCAB36F8.png

A 68 plate could be a 2018 model year or one of the first 2019 model year?
That would be around the time Apple Car Play was fitted to the C Class, 2019 model year.

Thank you... based on what you’ve seen on the images, do you think it has got it?

Based on 16U & 17U, I would say it should have it.
One other thing, on the US forums, a few had it working then it stopped after their iPhone was updated.
Might be worth deleting and reinstalling your phone?

The C-Class has native support for Apple CarPlay as of the MY 2018 facelift model.

By the looks of it, you car is the facelift model with the native support for Apple CarPlay (option 16U).

That said, on MB cars Apple CarPlay needs to be activated, and there's a small to it because there's a license fee to pay (by MB to Apple).

So the good news is that you 68-plate car has native support for Apple CarPlay, and it can be activated if not already done so.

The question is: Is Apple CarPlay simply not activated, or is it activated but for some reason not working? I would start by getting the dealer to carry-out a software update to your infotainment unit (if they have not done so already), this should be done FOC under warranty.

If all else fails, give your dealer an ultimatum quoting the Consumer Protection Act, and if they fail to sort it out in a timely manner then get www.comandonline.co.uk to do it and then send the bill and report to the dealer and ask for a full refund, including the cost of travel to Lightwater and back (if it can't be done remotely).

Based on 16U & 17U, I would say it should have it.
One other thing, on the US forums, a few had it working then it stopped after their iPhone was updated.
Might be worth deleting and reinstalling your phone?

thanks for your reply, I’ve tried this... still not working

The C-Class has native support for Apple CarPlay as of the MY 2018 facelift model.

By the looks of it, you car is the facelift model with the native support for Apple CarPlay (option 16U).

That said, on MB cars Apple CarPlay needs to be activated, and there's a small to it because there's a license fee to pay (by MB to Apple).

So the good news is that you 68-plate car has native support for Apple CarPlay, and it can be activated if not already done so.

The question is: Is Apple CarPlay simply not activated, or is it activated but for some reason not working? I would start by getting the dealer to carry-out a software update to your infotainment unit (if they have not done so already), this should be done FOC under warranty.

If all else fails, give your dealer an ultimatum quoting the Consumer Protection Act, and if they fail to sort it out in a timely manner then get www.comandonline.co.uk to do it and then send the bill and report to the dealer and ask for a full refund, including the cost of travel to Lightwater and back (if it can't be done remotely).

Thanks for this - I’ve sent a complaint to the MB Customer Services Team, will see what happens next.

I dunno if it helps, but my car is the ‘Premium Package II’ as per the invoice. After doing some research, it should come with CarPlay but you’re right, it may not be activated.

Thanks again!

Thanks for this - I’ve sent a complaint to the MB Customer Services Team, will see what happens next.
I've found they are quite knowledgable, problem is they will probably tell you to go back to the dealer to get it sorted. This is where all the problems come from, for instance, I asked my service advisor if they could get Android Auto working on my SLC300. She said she would check and phone me back. When she did, it was to tell me that she'd asked the parts dept for an Android Auto to be fitted but they had never heard of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom