• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Apple CarPlay issues 2022 Vito (W447)

Ant, which versions of iOS are each phone running? You can find it by selecting Settings > General > About.

The selections may be slightly different on older weakens of iOS, say on your iPhone 7, but it will be very similar.
My old iPhone 7 is running 15.3.1

Daughters iPhone 11 is running 16.1.1

Not sure what those numbers mean tbh. :D

From memory, a very long time ago when CarPlay was new, there was a requirement that the vehicle head unit provided the GPS signal to the CarPlay system. This changed at some point in iOS history (I think when Wireless CarPlay became a thing), that meant the phone GPS/GNSS/Galileo signal could be used. I have a feeling that if the unit can play media etc. without a problem, that there is some buffer overrun or interrupt request clashing between the vehicle GPS provision and the iPhone GPS provision...

I am by no means an expert on this, but I read a fair bit about how it works from the Apple support documents back in 2015 or so and it just struck me that this could be an issue.

This, sadly, won't be of much use to you, as this can only be changed by software updates on the Mercedes side of things. However, what I find seriously odd, is that other Mercedes head units (i.e not in Vito vans) or other Vito van units work fine, suggesting something extremely odd in your particular set up, even though Apple gave it the all clear.

Another hunch, which I think you mentioned having tried, was regarding using a brand new genuine Apple lightning cable connection, rather than anything aftermarket (even approved ones), as perhaps they don't hold up under high bandwidth conditions, such as delivering the visual, the audio, and the gps data to/from the head unit.

Also, IT being IT, it might be worth doing a full reset and erase of the phone, and rather than loading data from a backup, start the device as if it were new, and sync contacts etc via the cloud - just don't pull them all from a backup (save your photos first as not using a backup will mean losing them unless you use the iCloud photo saving option). I had something like this on my very old iPhone 5 on a SEAT system, and a full phone erase and loading the device as if it were new did the trick. Lots of faff, and extremely annoying how this is always the advice from any engineer as it takes absolutely hours, but might be worth it just to have everything clean and to rule it out. Before trying this, perhaps try erasing all network settings as that only loses all the wifi memory (and potential wired network?! memory), and takes minutes, not hours.

Hope you get a solution soon, as I couldn't use my car without CarPlay anymore. It's such a convenient upgrade.

From memory, a very long time ago when CarPlay was new, there was a requirement that the vehicle head unit provided the GPS signal to the CarPlay system. This changed at some point in iOS history (I think when Wireless CarPlay became a thing), that meant the phone GPS/GNSS/Galileo signal could be used. I have a feeling that if the unit can play media etc. without a problem, that there is some buffer overrun or interrupt request clashing between the vehicle GPS provision and the iPhone GPS provision...

I am by no means an expert on this, but I read a fair bit about how it works from the Apple support documents back in 2015 or so and it just struck me that this could be an issue.

This, sadly, won't be of much use to you, as this can only be changed by software updates on the Mercedes side of things. However, what I find seriously odd, is that other Mercedes head units (i.e not in Vito vans) or other Vito van units work fine, suggesting something extremely odd in your particular set up, even though Apple gave it the all clear.

Another hunch, which I think you mentioned having tried, was regarding using a brand new genuine Apple lightning cable connection, rather than anything aftermarket (even approved ones), as perhaps they don't hold up under high bandwidth conditions, such as delivering the visual, the audio, and the gps data to/from the head unit.

Also, IT being IT, it might be worth doing a full reset and erase of the phone, and rather than loading data from a backup, start the device as if it were new, and sync contacts etc via the cloud - just don't pull them all from a backup (save your photos first as not using a backup will mean losing them unless you use the iCloud photo saving option). I had something like this on my very old iPhone 5 on a SEAT system, and a full phone erase and loading the device as if it were new did the trick. Lots of faff, and extremely annoying how this is always the advice from any engineer as it takes absolutely hours, but might be worth it just to have everything clean and to rule it out. Before trying this, perhaps try erasing all network settings as that only loses all the wifi memory (and potential wired network?! memory), and takes minutes, not hours.

Hope you get a solution soon, as I couldn't use my car without CarPlay anymore. It's such a convenient upgrade.
Thank you so much for that. I really appreciate your time and effort.

The van does't have GPS so unsure of any connection to your points (forgive me if I've misunderstood.)

Yes, I purchased a genuine lightning cable from the Apple Store. Unfortunately made no difference at all. I could try your suggestion regarding setting up the phone from new without back-up but as you say, a faff but something I can try when I've got the time. Worth ruling it out. Yes, I love the CarPlay set up, it's very handy.

Just got the van back. The CarPlay disconnected within a few minutes of getting on the motorway. My daughter was sat in the passenger seat recording so good to have 2 clips to send to them as proof of the issue. I'm always paranoid that they think I'm making it up.

So hopefully they'll request a retrofit Sat Nav (the £400.00 option I didn't tick) to MBUK. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Sure it a pain in the backside to get it sorted, but hopefully once it’s sorted, the aggro will have been forgotten.

FWIW ... we had similar problems with our 2019 C Class (COMAND NTG 5.5), where the data cable connection for both Apple Carplay (Mrs BTB) and Android Auto (me) only worked randomly/occasionally. I also noticed that the phones didn't even charge when the connection had dropped. Car went back a couple of times for a new module ('media control?') and then a software upgrade and a reset ... been OK since then.

Hope you manage to get yours sorted. We still use 'old tech' in our Vito - a TomTom on the dash :D

Hope you manage to get yours sorted. We still use 'old tech' in our Vito - a TomTom on the dash :D
We've still got our stick-on Garmin as well. 9 times out of 10 it works better than built in systems in both our cars (MB and SEAT)

Hi guys,

Any updates with regards to this issue?

It does seem to be fairly random as to who does have the issue and who doesn't

My Vito is due to be delivered in the next few weeks so if there were any fixes i could try and get them done before i collected.

Hi guys,

Any updates with regards to this issue?

It does seem to be fairly random as to who does have the issue and who doesn't

My Vito is due to be delivered in the next few weeks so if there were any fixes i could try and get them done before i collected.
Morning Jason,

Absolutely no fix as of yet. It’s crazy that a corporation the size of MB can’t (be bothered to) get this sorted. 😤

My request to have Sat Nav retrofitted has gone without reply. Seems us minions will just have to suck it up eh?

Cheers.

After digging around a bit more, it appears that it could be down to Apple, in so much they no longer support these radios, as i am guessing MB are now concentrating on the newer MBUX units that are now installed in the new Citans etc and are no really concerned too much.

Having said that, i thought it was down to the Car makers to inform Apple of what ones they want included.

It does seem to be a bit hit and miss with who has the issues or not, as there isn't too much out there covering the problem.

Thank you so much for that. I really appreciate your time and effort.

The van does't have GPS so unsure of any connection to your points (forgive me if I've misunderstood.)

Yes, I purchased a genuine lightning cable from the Apple Store. Unfortunately made no difference at all. I could try your suggestion regarding setting up the phone from new without back-up but as you say, a faff but something I can try when I've got the time. Worth ruling it out. Yes, I love the CarPlay set up, it's very handy.
The vehicle does have GPS.

I bought a brand new facelifted Vito (W447) with the entry level unit fitted. This has GPS. The antenna is in the drivers door mirror housing.

My Apple CarPlay / Android Auto is a bit hit and miss to, but then I have fiddled (a lot) with the firmware ;-) It doesnt bother me at the moment but at some point I'll get round to fixing it properly.

The vehicle does have GPS.

I bought a brand new facelifted Vito (W447) with the entry level unit fitted. This has GPS. The antenna is in the drivers door mirror housing.

My Apple CarPlay / Android Auto is a bit hit and miss to, but then I have fiddled (a lot) with the firmware ;-) It doesnt bother me at the moment but at some point I'll get round to fixing it properly.
Thanks for that Alfie.

It bothers me a lot. I can go to multiple addresses per day. Having no navigation is a pest, especially on a brand new (expensive?) van on which I fully expect Apple CarPlay to work perfectly (as it’s done on all my previous (non MB vehicles).

I can’t see how Apple can be at fault as my phone works perfectly on every system in every other car. It’s certainly something with the Vito system.

...I can’t see how Apple can be at fault as my phone works perfectly on every system in every other car. It’s certainly something with the Vito system.

I think that what jasons6930 was trying to say, is that the issue might be with Apple the company, not specifically with your Apple iPhone. I.e., there's an issue with the way that Apple implemented the Apple CarPlay software for the Vito's infotainment system.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. Im not good at explaining things!

So, has anyone retrofitted an aftermarket unit in theirs?

Personally, i don't mind paying for an upgrade, but i would want something decent like a Pioneer or similar, and would also want it to retain any car specific menus (if that is a thing on them).

Thanks Mark. Im not good at explaining things!

So, has anyone retrofitted an aftermarket unit in theirs?

Personally, i don't mind paying for an upgrade, but i would want something decent like a Pioneer or similar, and would also want it to retain any car specific menus (if that is a thing on them).
I’ll be getting something like this if they don’t come up with a fix:

Looks good Ant, but ouch!

Though I would expect the original unit is worth a few bob that you can sell to recoup some of the outlay...?.

Looks good Ant, but ouch!

Though I would expect the original unit is worth a few bob that you can sell to recoup some of the outlay...?.
I know mate. It REALLY annoys me especially after forking out for a brand new van. 😤

But seeing as MB aren’t agreeing to retrofit if the Sat Nav I need to do something.

Good call on selling the MB head unit. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom