• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Apple CarPlay issues 2022 Vito (W447)

Wow that is completely different.

Mines been solid so far using any of the map apps etc.

I guess we might assume that Mercedes will now update your firmware or if not, replace your complete head unit with the latest version?
That’s great news Jason.

Hope it continues to behave. 🤞

Hopefully a simple software update will give me the same result. 👌

Fingers crossed mate, keep us updated.
Aye, I’ve emailed the supplying dealer your head unit numbers next to mine. Hopefully it’ll prompt a simple software update. 🤞
Have you tried the car play wireless adapter yet?
Yes. Tried it all yesterday. Very impressed and well worth the £58.00

Instant connection to phone on start up and phone can stay in my pocket.

Dinny want to speak too soon but it’s not once disconnected whilst using AppleCarplay and maps. 🫣😳

Even if yours is perfect I’d still recommend buying one. Saves messing around with leads. 👌

Aye, I’ve emailed the supplying dealer your head unit numbers next to mine. Hopefully it’ll prompt a simple software update. 🤞

Dinny want to speak too soon but it’s not once disconnected whilst using AppleCarplay and maps. 🫣😳

Even if yours is perfect I’d still recommend buying one. Saves messing around with leads. 👌

Well i suppose if the dealer doesn’t sort you out, at least you have that to keep you connected!

Must admit I do prefer to keep mine plugged in anyway as I need as much charge as poss when I’m out of the van.

I have mine booked in for a speaker and amp upgrade and shark fin aerial installation in a few weeks and if this is a good improvement I might just keep the merc head unit.

Whilst I like the idea of a better head unit, I am struggling to justify the money.

One thing I do miss from the VW radios is you can set a max on volume and also have auto volume control with speed which is bloody handy and i don’t think the kenwood or any of the others offer this option. I did read through the Kenwood manual and it made no mention of this function being available.

Well i suppose if the dealer doesn’t sort you out, at least you have that to keep you connected!
Yeah. But still be nice to get the update so it works with lead.
Must admit I do prefer to keep mine plugged in anyway as I need as much charge as poss when I’m out of the van.
It’s a good point. Obviously the wireless adapter uses the top USB. I’ve now got a 2nd lead for charging as and when.
I have mine booked in for a speaker and amp upgrade and shark fin aerial installation in a few weeks and if this is a good improvement I might just keep the merc head unit.
I’d be really interested to see how you get on with that. I really do fancy upgrading speakers at least. PleSe keep me posted.
Whilst I like the idea of a better head unit, I am struggling to justify the money.
Agreed, given how much we’ve shelled out for the purchase. 🙄
One thing I do miss from the VW radios is you can set a max on volume and also have auto volume control with speed which is bloody handy and i don’t think the kenwood or any of the others offer this option. I did read through the Kenwood manual and it made no mention of this function being available.
Yep. Another failure on MB’s part. Daughters 16 year old poverty spec mini has AVC. 😤

Oing I do miss from the VW radios is you can set a max on volume and also have auto volume control with speed which is bloody handy and i don’t think the kenwood or any of the others offer this option. I did read through the Kenwood manual and it made no mention of this function being available.
Kenwoods used to have that function (called GALA and a blue wire IIRC), but maybe that was only in VeeDubs ?
I had a Kenwood motorised screen system in the last VW T4 I ran.

Fingers crossed mate, keep us updated.
A big thanks to you Jason. I sent the supplying dealership the details of both our head units as proof that there has been a change (for the good) as your CarPlay works perfectly.

They have ordered the relevant module and having it sent to MB Carlisle. Once in they’ll contact me to arrange fitting.

🤞

Really appreciate your help with this mate. 👍

A big thanks to you Jason. I sent the supplying dealership the details of both our head units as proof that there has been a change (for the good) as your CarPlay works perfectly.

They have ordered the relevant module and having it sent to MB Carlisle. Once in they’ll contact me to arrange fitting.

🤞

No worries Ant, although maybe hold fire on the thanks until it really has been sorted!

Good luck mate.

🤞

Hi mate,

Just properly read your reply and you said the supplying dealer are ordering the part and sending it to MB Carlisle which I assume is a local dealer to you?

Wouldn’t Carlisle just have dealt with it all as they are dealing with it under warranty?

Or don’t MB cover warranty issues via the dealer network regardless of which dealer supplies the vehicle?

With VAG, any local dealer will repair stuff under warranty, even if you bought the vehicle from a dealer 500 miles away.

Hi mate,

Just properly read your reply and you said the supplying dealer are ordering the part and sending it to MB Carlisle which I assume is a local dealer to you?

Wouldn’t Carlisle just have dealt with it all as they are dealing with it under warranty?

Or don’t MB cover warranty issues via the dealer network regardless of which dealer supplies the vehicle?

With VAG, any local dealer will repair stuff under warranty, even if you bought the vehicle from a dealer 500 miles away.
Aye. I agree there Jason.

Tbh MB Carlisle have been fab in trying to fix the CarPlay issue. (Without success up to last visit). They had it in multiple times including a brand new replacement head unit.

I then requested they take the matter up with MBUK at which point they requested I suggest that to the supplying dealer in the Midlands.

To be fair to MB Midlands (Midlands Truck and van centre) they have been really good. At one point they offered to have a loan van brought to me and collect my van for a few weeks to try and solve the issue. Then return my van to me and collect the loan van. A very generous offer which I politely declined due to my van being 100% kitted out for work with tools and stock. Roof rack with ladder’s attached and a tow bar to drag my tipping trailer around. Loan van would have been a right ole pest.

Anyhow. I’ve continued contact with supplying dealer since and they’ve liaised with MB Carlisle regarding the parts and fitting.

Had an email from both saying they’ll be in touch when parts are in.

Meanwhile that wireless CarPlay dongle has worked perfectly. But still be glad to have the option of a hard wired connection. 🤞👌

How’s things with yours Jason? All good?

Aye. I agree there Jason.

Tbh MB Carlisle have been fab in trying to fix the CarPlay issue. (Without success up to last visit). They had it in multiple times including a brand new replacement head unit.

I then requested they take the matter up with MBUK at which point they requested I suggest that to the supplying dealer in the Midlands.

To be fair to MB Midlands (Midlands Truck and van centre) they have been really good. At one point they offered to have a loan van brought to me and collect my van for a few weeks to try and solve the issue. Then return my van to me and collect the loan van. A very generous offer which I politely declined due to my van being 100% kitted out for work with tools and stock. Roof rack with ladder’s attached and a tow bar to drag my tipping trailer around. Loan van would have been a right ole pest.

Anyhow. I’ve continued contact with supplying dealer since and they’ve liaised with MB Carlisle regarding the parts and fitting.

Had an email from both saying they’ll be in touch when parts are in.

Meanwhile that wireless CarPlay dongle has worked perfectly. But still be glad to have the option of a hard wired connection. 🤞👌

How’s things with yours Jason? All good?
Ah ok fair enough.

Yes all good with still no issues since delivery!

Another thing I have found is that you can’t dim the radio screen without dimming the Speedo dials at night, meaning having maps open at night, and the dimmer set to medium so that I can read the dials, is waaaaay too bright.

Using the dimming function in the radio settings or the little twirly dial by the Speedo, does exactly the same thing without independent control.

Ah ok fair enough.

Yes all good with still no issues since delivery!

Another thing I have found is that you can’t dim the radio screen without dimming the Speedo dials at night, meaning having maps open at night, and the dimmer set to medium so that I can read the dials, is waaaaay too bright.

Using the dimming function in the radio settings or the little twirly dial by the Speedo, does exactly the same thing without independent control.
Yeah. I noticed this annoyance on my way home after collection. 🫣🥴🙄

Yep. Another failure on MB’s part. Daughters 16 year old poverty spec mini has AVC. 😤
Don’t the MB systems use the internal microphones to detect cabin noise and adjust the volume? So not speed related volume adjustment but cabin noise?

I can’t remember where I read that, but it would be odd for MB not to have a function I had in a 1998 VW Passat!!

Which wireless adaptor is it you have? Thinking of getting one but want one I’ve heard is reliable!

Don’t the MB systems use the internal microphones to detect cabin noise and adjust the volume? So not speed related volume adjustment but cabin noise?

I can’t remember where I read that, but it would be odd for MB not to have a function I had in a 1998 VW Passat!!
I’m not sure why but there’s certainly no AVC within the van. 👎
I have a separate display brightness and instrument cluster brightness. That not an option on the vans?
It seems not.
Which wireless adaptor is it you have? Thinking of getting one but want one I’ve heard is reliable!
This one:

Wireless Carplay Adapter for iPhone, Wireless CarPlay Dongle Adapter, Bluetooth CarPlay Adapter Convert OEM Wired CarPlay to Wireless for Audi Porsche https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C534TX3R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_EHEVHSFJekhQl

I 100% recommend it. 👌

Well, new discovery today with the Audio30.

It does in fact switch between DAB and FM, but it takes forever. And i mean forever.

I was sat in trafiic down a narrow village high street with a local station, and it lost signal. So, having had it do this before, i sat in silence, when all of a sudden, i noticed on the display the word 'acquiring' and then lo and behold, it tuned into the FM station with the word 'analogue' and resumed playing. However, what was interesting is that when it got back into DAB range, it smoothly switched back with about a millisecond delay.

Aside from that, the trouble i have is that i live on a county border and so any dab will constantly try to switch between ensembles when i am back and forth and if not, drop in to the FM broadcast until it can latch onto a stronger DAB signal, but most newer radios do this without giving any interruptions, or with it barely being noticeable.

Anyhoo, its still crap so it's going to be changed anyway as i cant stand the stupidly bright screen at night so the Kenwood is going in at some point in the next few weeks.

Well, new discovery today with the Audio30.

It does in fact switch between DAB and FM, but it takes forever. And i mean forever.

I was sat in trafiic down a narrow village high street with a local station, and it lost signal. So, having had it do this before, i sat in silence, when all of a sudden, i noticed on the display the word 'acquiring' and then lo and behold, it tuned into the FM station with the word 'analogue' and resumed playing. However, what was interesting is that when it got back into DAB range, it smoothly switched back with about a millisecond delay.

Aside from that, the trouble i have is that i live on a county border and so any dab will constantly try to switch between ensembles when i am back and forth and if not, drop in to the FM broadcast until it can latch onto a stronger DAB signal, but most newer radios do this without giving any interruptions, or with it barely being noticeable.

Anyhoo, its still crap so it's going to be changed anyway as i cant stand the stupidly bright screen at night so the Kenwood is going in at some point in the next few weeks.
All in all not good Jason. Not what you expect from a relatively newly designed head unit. Seems MB got this one very wrong.

Have you managed to source a Kenwood that will work in conjunction with the MB reversing camera?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom