Apple Carplay not planned for C w205

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got a late 2013 S204 with command 4.7 (4.5 MK2 if you will) does this mean there is a way for me to get Apple play?

P.S. Sorry to derail a w205 thread!

I got a 66 plate C250d and needless to say I was disappointed to see CarPlay not fitted. I am sure I read somewhere that it is just not a software update but also a USB has to be configured for it? That is the microphone for Siri commands.

That said I have noticed that the the USB's in the centre box react differently with my iPhone? Noticing this when I press and hold the voice command button Siri works! It only works on one of the USB ports.

So imo it looks like the hardware is ready, I just need the software.

By chance, I found that Siri also works via BT on a 2016 W205. Currently driving an Infiniti Q50 hire car and find some of the BT features to be superior to the MB at home. Most other stuff.....less so! That said, the V6 sounds nice, which is more than I can say for the M274 ICE in the C350e :(

Just noticed that the MB UK car configurators for both C Class and GLC have Apple CarPlay as an option with Audio 20 and the telephone pre wire, i think it was £295 or £395?
Strangely i couldn't see it as an option with Comand and the Premium Plus upgrade.

I would of post a screen shot just incase it disappears overnight.

pp

Just noticed that the MB UK car configurators for both C Class and GLC have Apple CarPlay as an option with Audio 20 and the telephone pre wire, i think it was £295 or £395?
Strangely i couldn't see it as an option with Comand and the Premium Plus upgrade.

I would of post a screen shot just incase it disappears overnight.

On the MB UK configurator you can have Apple CarPlay, choosing this will remove the Premium Plus pack if already selected. It will cost £295

Shame you can't have them both, personally, I'd rather have the PP with Burmester speakers than Apple CarPlay :dk:

On the MB UK configurator you can have Apple CarPlay, choosing this will remove the Premium Plus pack if already selected. It will cost £295

Shame you can't have them both, personally, I'd rather have the PP with Burmester speakers than Apple CarPlay :dk:

I think you'll find that the configurator will remove a package if you select a single option that is part of the package. It deselects the package and adds the option. Car Play is standard on the latest version of Comand in post June 17 E & C Clas

I think you'll find that the configurator will remove a package if you select a single option that is part of the package. It deselects the package and adds the option. Car Play is standard on the latest version of Comand in post June 17 E & C Clas

Ive searched everywhere & can't see anywhere that states CarPlay will be standard on the C Class from June. Apple themselves have provided this list of MB cars which will come with this feature

2016-2017 A-Class
2016-2017 B-Class
2016-2017 CLA-Class
2016-2017 CLS-Class
2016-2017 E-Class Cabriolet
2016-2017 E-Class Coupe
2016-2017 GLA-Class
2016-2017 GLE-Class
2017 E-Class
2017 SL-Class
MG
2016 GT
2016 MG5

I am currently waiting on a new C Class. I speak with the dealer quite often for updates etc, he hasn't made any mention of CarPlay becoming standard on the C Class. As I said earlier I'd love this feature but not at the expense of losing the PP

Test drove the new E class and it had Apple car play, I wasn't fused about having it. The big down side to it is that you need to plug your iPhone into your car for it to work. Apple car play via Bluetooth would of been great. Didn't bother using it after a while as the Mercedes system does just fine.

Test drove the new E class and it had Apple car play, I wasn't fused about having it. The big down side to it is that you need to plug your iPhone into your car for it to work. Apple car play via Bluetooth would of been great. Didn't bother using it after a while as the Mercedes system does just fine.

I haven't driven a car with the Apple CarPlay yet. While it would be great as an included feature, not having it wouldn't be a deal breaker

We've gone through this soooooooo many times. Car play isn't compatible with the operating system in the C Class and GLC. You won't see car play until facelift when it takes NTG 5.5 from the E Class

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've gone through this soooooooo many times. Car play isn't compatible with the operating system in the C Class and GLC. You won't see car play until facelift when it takes NTG 5.5 from the E Class

Hadn't realised that we'd gone through this soooooooo many times, however, thank you for clarifying this issue

Last edited:
Daimler are being taken to court in the U.S over this by very angry 15 onwards C Class owners who were told at the point of sale this would be a software upgrade available to all.
It also appeared in Mercs own promo videos for the new C Class, and was listed in some brochures in the States.

Daimler are being taken to court in the U.S over this by very angry 15 onwards C Class owners who were told at the point of sale this would be a software upgrade available to all.
It also appeared in Mercs own promo videos for the new C Class, and was listed in some brochures in the States.

I visited an MB dealership in the US in April, and was told that CarPlay will be available on the C-Class from MY 2018. There was no mention of possible future upgrade to 2017 cars on sale now. I suppose they are careful....

Went with a friend who currently has a 2-years old BMW (no CarPlay). He is about to change his car and was considering a C43. BMW already have CarPlay on their 4-Series - my friend said that for him CarPlay is a must, no CarPlay no deal... I think MB may have misjudged how important CarPlay is for some owners.

I find this really interesting - not making any comment at all I hasten to add, that someone will dismiss a car because it doesn't offer their favourite infotainment option. Bit like the folk who dislike the 'floating' screen so much they won't buy a car with one. When looking at alternatives recently, I found them different enough that one feature like this wouldn't have been even closer to making the choice for me. Perhaps its more to do with how people pay for cars?

As I say, I'm not passing any kind of judgement, I just find it interesting how different we all are :)

I was vaguely interested in the idea that CarPlay might be an upgrade option but I suppose I've never had it so why would I miss it. I find the COMAND offering plenty good enough but as I say, YMMV, which is all good.

ETA Every manufacturer of everything has a get-out clause for this sort of situation anyway...future features subject to change. Unless someone has a written contract stating the upgrade will be coming then I suspect they aren't likely to get much change, even in an American court. Be interesting to watch though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Said friend is a techie, for many years now, into Apple big time (including smart home managed by Siri voice commands etc), and for him a new car without CarPlay is a big no no....

So it's now available with Garmin. Personally I'd still go for comand and lose out on the CarPlay though

I have Apple CarPlay on my new e-class and find it's useless Andre a gimmick. The big issue is that once in CarPlay mode it overrides the complete command system and you cannot use native functions such as SatNav (which I use a lot). (Can't Enen use the native on the small davhboard screen. There is the option of using Apple maps on CarPlay for navigation but o doubt this is as good as the native system with preloaded maps and poi's etc. For music I find it easier to just use Bluetooth and select the songs from Spotify on my phone and use the selector dial in car to toggle between songsz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom