Apple CarPlay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Storm

Have you chaps seen this?

It looks very cool. Apparently MB will be issuing a press release listing which cars it will be included with this week. As someone who's considering a new car and who is often frustrated about the quality of all in car computer systems I find this quite exciting!

Interesting... hopefully they'll allow you to use other apps, and not force to you be stuck with the woeful maps app...

Will this replace the sound system? I couldn't live with MP3 quality though, and yes, I do realize that my noisy car isn't exactly audiophile heaven... but anything is better than MP3!

M.

It's going to be interesting to see who wins this particular battle....

Indeed - the best solution for the consumer would be for an open standards to be developed, that all manufacturers can use...

Something like bluetooth+

Interesting... hopefully they'll allow you to use other apps, and not force to you be stuck with the woeful maps app...

Will this replace the sound system? I couldn't live with MP3 quality though, and yes, I do realize that my noisy car isn't exactly audiophile heaven... but anything is better than MP3!

M.

It does state that other apps will be supported (and lists a variety of music streaming type apps). The iOS maps app has been much improved of late, but I admit that I do turn to Google's offering more often than not. Either way, it's better than any in-car nav system, which are all woeful in my opinion! My concern would be the requirement of a net connection for navigation - I've come a cropper a few times when trying to navigate away from remote locations only to find I have insufficient signal.

I don't see this system replacing the existing system, I expect it's more likely that it will work alongside it. You'd still need access to Radio/DAB, CD/DVD player, Nav, and of course car options.

Have you considered encoding your mp3s at a higher bitrate (or downloading them from a better quality source)? Most self admitted 'audiophiles' will struggle to hear the difference between a high quality MP3 and CD/Lossless file.

Maybe Richard &/or Alfie will have some "inside" knowledge of what going on....

It does state that other apps will be supported (and lists a variety of music streaming type apps). The iOS maps app has been much improved of late, but I admit that I do turn to Google's offering more often than not. Either way, it's better than any in-car nav system, which are all woeful in my opinion! My concern would be the requirement of a net connection for navigation - I've come a cropper a few times when trying to navigate away from remote locations only to find I have insufficient signal.

I don't see this system replacing the existing system, I expect it's more likely that it will work alongside it. You'd still need access to Radio/DAB, CD/DVD player, Nav, and of course car options.

Have you considered encoding your mp3s at a higher bitrate (or downloading them from a better quality source)? Most self admitted 'audiophiles' will struggle to hear the difference between a high quality MP3 and CD/Lossless file.

With the right speakers, I can happily tell the difference between MP3 and flac... but that's besides the point.

Have you see the cheap chinese android car things? The build quality is crap - but if you put waze on them they should work well as navigators...

M.

Projected mode is the new name for Mirror Link but done through wireless mirror mode as well as wired.
However, Android will never take off, it will be limited to certain devices on certain head units.
I had he latest Alpine with Mirror Link head unit with the latest Xperia Z 1 mirror link phone, it was 3 months of me beta testing for Sony and Alpine, flaky at best.

Then along came 4.3 and broke it!

Too many variables for anyone to take Android seriously for in car hook up, and if you do get it, don't expect to upgrade your handset and it still work with your now 'old' car that you bought 2 years ago.

I have gone back to Apple, purely because in car integration always works for my music, and that is what I care about most.

Press Release:

Apple Rolls Out CarPlay Giving Drivers a Smarter, Safer & More Fun Way to Use iPhone in the Car
CarPlay Premieres with Leading Auto Manufacturers at the Geneva International Motor Show
GENEVA?March 3, 2014?Apple® today announced that leading auto manufacturers are rolling out CarPlay, the smarter, safer and more fun way to use iPhone® in the car. CarPlay gives iPhone users an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music and access messages with just a word or a touch. Users can easily control CarPlay from the car’s native interface or just push-and-hold the voice control button on the steering wheel to activate Siri® without distraction. Vehicles from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo will premiere CarPlay to their drivers this week, while additional auto manufacturers bringing CarPlay to their drivers down the road include BMW Group, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai Motor Company, Jaguar Land Rover, Kia Motors, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan Motor Company, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota Motor Corp.
“CarPlay has been designed from the ground up to provide drivers with an incredible experience using their iPhone in the car,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of iPhone and iOS Product Marketing. “iPhone users always want their content at their fingertips and CarPlay lets drivers use their iPhone in the car with minimized distraction. We have an amazing lineup of auto partners rolling out CarPlay, and we’re thrilled it will make its debut this week in Geneva.”
Apple has led consumer technology integration in the car for more than a decade. CarPlay brings your car and iPhone together for a thoughtful experience that lets drivers focus on driving, while also tapping into everything they want to do with their iPhone.
Once iPhone is connected to a vehicle with CarPlay integration, Siri helps you easily access your contacts, make calls, return missed calls or listen to voicemails. When incoming messages or notifications arrive, Siri provides an eyes-free experience by responding to requests through voice commands, by reading drivers’ messages and letting them dictate responses or simply make a call.
CarPlay makes driving directions more intuitive by working with Maps to anticipate destinations based on recent trips via contacts, emails or texts, and provides routing instructions, traffic conditions and ETA. You can also simply ask Siri and receive spoken turn-by-turn directions, along with Maps, which will appear on your car’s built-in display.
CarPlay gives drivers access to all of their music, podcasts, audiobooks and iTunes Radio? with easy navigation through listening choices from the car’s built-in controls or simply by asking Siri to pull up what you’d like to hear. CarPlay also supports select third-party audio apps including Spotify and iHeartRadio, so you can listen to your favorite radio services or sports broadcast apps while driving.
Pricing & Availability
Apple CarPlay is available as an update to iOS 7 and works with Lightning-enabled iPhones, including iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5. CarPlay will be available in select cars shipping in 2014.
Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices with iPad.

Projected mode is the new name for Mirror Link but done through wireless mirror mode as well as wired.
However, Android will never take off, it will be limited to certain devices on certain head units.
I had he latest Alpine with Mirror Link head unit with the latest Xperia Z 1 mirror link phone, it was 3 months of me beta testing for Sony and Alpine, flaky at best.

Then along came 4.3 and broke it!

Too many variables for anyone to take Android seriously for in car hook up, and if you do get it, don't expect to upgrade your handset and it still work with your now 'old' car that you bought 2 years ago.

I have gone back to Apple, purely because in car integration always works for my music, and that is what I care about most.

With respect that's rubbish. Android has just under 80% of the mobile market share. Google will address these issues and eventually become the market leader with this technology, far too many users to all flood back to Apple

Its going to be a sorry state of affairs if your choice of car is dictated by your phone. + touch screens in a car? Terrible terrible distracting idea.

Another thing, will Apple convert the menus for RHD drivers? Doubt it.

The rate of development of android software and hardware far exceeds the other available platforms.

This last year I have started noticing more and more friends and family ditching their iphones. For some of them, they have relied on their iPhone for the past 4 or 5 years.

I always ask if they regret the change. Only one lad does, I guess he's just too thick to adapt.

Our clients are holding on to their iPhones (having reluctantly given-up their Blackberrys).

Android resresents only a tiny minority of the handsets in use across our customer base.

I agree that the Andriod OS and Andriod-related hardware are ahead of iOS, which is to be expected given the vast resources (both commercial and open-source) behind it, and I personally use mostly Android devices.

But based on my experience I would say that most business users seem quite happy with their iPhones.

Yup, happy with apple. I'm always up for a change though, and wouldn't object to trying android...but I assume I would lose all the connectivity with my other apple devices? Or am I missing a trick?

You would be able to connect and sync with anything without the need for that god awful itunes.

With respect that's rubbish. Android has just under 80% of the mobile market share. Google will address these issues and eventually become the market leader with this technology, far too many users to all flood back to Apple

Its going to be a sorry state of affairs if your choice of car is dictated by your phone. + touch screens in a car? Terrible terrible distracting idea.

Another thing, will Apple convert the menus for RHD drivers? Doubt it.

Well, it may have 80% of the market share, but what percentage of that is 4.2, 4.3, 4.4?
What percentage of those on 4.2 are on a Samsung S3, or S4, or Xperia Z, or maybe Z1, then how many are on 4.3 or 4.4.

The variables are too big for it to work.
Alpine pretty much said they are giving up, by the time they developed their head units to work with the S3 the S4 was out, meaning those that wanted to use their head unit had to use a 2 year old phone, and the fact they were buying the latest and greatest head unit meant that they were the sort of people who probably wanted the latest and greatest phone.

Unless Android start tightening up how their handsets act in certain situations, like when plugged into a car, then it will never work properly.
Legally they can't just mirror the phone on a head unit for safety reasons, that is why Car Mode was introduced through the Mirror Link Consortium, to allow a universal interface that was safe to use in cars.

However, even though all the main players have jumped on board we have been limited to the Galaxy S3, Xperia Z (older version not the Z1) and the Galaxy Note II working with the Mirror Link units from manufacturers.
Sony have now added the Z1 in the latest firmware, but it has taken over 6 months and is flaky at best.

Sony eSupport - Compatible Devices Equipped with MirrorLink™ Feature

Advertising this connection as Android compatible is very, very misleading, I loved the look of it and put in a £1000 head unit and bought a £500 Xperia Z1.
It didn't work and no one wanted to know, Sony said it was not their fault and so did Alpine.
There are many owners out there that didn't even realise there was only 2 devices that worked on them, they had HTC's, Nexus etc. They bought the Mirror Link Head units and they are useless.

Mercedes can't even get music to play through their cars on Android devices when hooked up to USB to show your Artists, Playlists etc.
And even in USB Transfer mode it doesn't see 80% of phones even as a hard drive or USB stick, with the hundreds of variations of each Android device do you really think a company like Merc will test them all and release firmwares for them all to work in their car??
Of course they won't.

Android is great, just not at working with other kit imho.

Your experience is reflected in the fact you were using a Sony phone.

Its a bit like saying cars are rubbish after testing a Rover metro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom