Apple iPhone Pic quality and Dual Sim cards from O2?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

My dad currently looking to change his phone, He has a Nokia somethng or other now with Orange (apparently the only people that do a dual sim with the same number?) His Merc has the holder for a 6310i which he just keeps in their with the Sim. Other sim in the phone he takes with him.

So...

Do O2 do a similar dual sim? with the same number so he can do the same?

What do people who have the Apple iPhone think of it? Has anyone developed a picture and at normal 6*4 or 5*8 is the quality ok? He likes the idea of an all in one gadget...(if it did TomTom so would I)

The 3G surfing etc is this good? How does this work abroad to you pay more?

Thanks in advance

A word of warning that 3G coverage is not as good as telephony I believe. Abroad Apple iPhones are tied to other networks--- Orange in France I believe and Tmobile in the Netherlands so may not work abroad??

A word of warning that 3G coverage is not as good as telephony I believe. Abroad Apple iPhones are tied to other networks--- Orange in France I believe and Tmobile in the Netherlands so may not work abroad??

Will it if its unlocked. I was able to use mine in Barbados recently. As to picture quality, not good at all except in bright daylight.

My 16gb iphone (acquired as an upgrade on my O2 account last week) is both a delight and infuriating in equal amounts..

The camera is 2mp, has no flash, no autofocus and although it looks fine for pics I've taken on the iphone screen, I've read its rubbish in low light.

I can't get my email to behave predictably, sometimes its there, sometimes not although I suspect the fault is user related in how I've set it up...

Not used the 3g much as the phone picks up my home or office wifi which works very well.

The touch screen is brilliant and infuriating at first - it requires several actions to get to things a normal phone has a button for which has required a little user retraining - just about got my head round it now.

The screen is great. I like having all my photos to hand, music is a bonus (my ipod now lives in the car), the web browsing is pretty good considering how small the screen is. I picked up a chess programme for 59p which is pretty good.

I find the lack of cut and paste a bit irritating (apparently to be sorted soon) and you can't fiddle with stuff like on a computer - can't rotate pics for example although no doubt there is an app out there which will enable this for a small fee...

Costs £3 per MB of data in Europe, £6 elsewhere (checked this yesterday).

As per the reviews I've read, if you want a nicely packaged gadget its great. If you want something more business orientated the equivalent Blackberry is probably better.

No idea about dual sim.

Overall I feel a bit like I've been sucked into to a bit of Apple slick marketing, but generally happy as I don't need an email burner but use the bigger screen a lot - which is good as I'm now stuck with it for 18 months..

HTH

Ade

Nokia 5800 is similar in design but beats the iphone in many technical ways including its camera, its also half the price from carphone warehouse, obviously its not an iphone so not as fashionable.

Nokia 5800 is similar in design but beats the iphone in many technical ways including its camera, its also half the price from carphone warehouse, obviously its not an iphone so not as fashionable.

I must admit, I didn't look at much competition as my current network, 02 offered me a decent deal on either an iphone or a blackberry curve. I doubt I would have got one had it not been put on a plate so to speak..

Ade

I have a 5800, wanted it sim free and they had them advertised at 279.99, when i went into the shop they instead sold me an O2 PAYGO version for £230 but the phone is unbranded and unlocked for any network, i bought an O2 iphone PAYGO sim off ebay for the free internet and have been really happy with it so far, the screen is bigger and higher res than an iphone, it doesn't have the 2 touch screen ability but i personally dont miss that, it has tactile feedback though which is a fair swop i think. :)

gotta be worth looking at anyway, phones are as much about personal taste as anything i think, the iphone got marketed really well and a lot of non techy customers assumed it was a really good phone i think.

iPhone FTW. Rumour has it that there's a new version coming in July though.

How does the free surfing sim work? can I have my current number with one? would it work in my Orbit for 02...

I think going back to the topic, dad has ipod integration in car and house so being an iphine with his tunes would help having less kit. Camera doesn't sound good though...

Re: the Camera, terrible compared to recent Nokia's.

obviously different people have different experiences of the iphone but I've got one and I think it's great. I'll happily admit that many phones beat it in technical specification, I haven't used a 5800 bit I have used things like the N95 and 96 etc.

for me, while these other phones beat the iphone on paper, it's real world usage that the iphone does well with. the interface is incredibly slick and I find it to be very usable. the camera isn't brilliant, there's currently no cut and paste and it currently doesn't send MMS's (the latter two due to be fixed) but I find that the flaws don't bother me too much. I've rarely needed to cut and paste and while my phone doesn't send MMS's, it does send and receive pictures via email.

I've had phones with web and email clients on them before, but they were so terrible, and clunky, I never ever used them. I use the email client on my iphone all the time (not allowed to read my webmail at work) and the web browser is surprisingly good.

the downloadable apps range from rubbish to very polished and there's several I've paid for.

I'd recommend playing with one in the shop and see how you feel. for me, there's no other phone on the market I'm remotely interested in atm, and I ain't no fashionista (as anyone who has seen my dress-sense will attest!)

dave

However great an iPod is, is it really practical for real world useage?

I have dropped my N82 countless times over the past year, and although there are scratches it still works fine. With the iPhone, one drop and its a gonna surely???

3573826.jpg

That's off my iPhone, not great, bit of a token gesture function really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom