Apple iPhone question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
My son has just bought a nearly new 8Gb 3G iPhone off a friend. All legit - nothing dodgy. Honest.
Its still locked to O2 as originally supplied and he wants to keep it that way.
Now he has to find the cheapest way of using all its functions including web browsing and email.

He was told about these................

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/O2-3G-Sim-PAYG-iPhone-10-Credit-1-year-Unltd-Internet_W0QQitemZ130277673649QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV?hash=item130277673649&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

Does anybody have any experience of using one of these?
Using one of these on a PAYG basis seems to be alot cheaper than taking out a contract with O2.
Comments and suggestions please................
Thank you in advance.

Never heard of them before, but just bought one - will let you know how I get on. I intend to port the number of my daughter's existing iPhone 2G as well - should be interesting to see if O2 question the new sim card or not.

This is the second I have heard of this.... the guy seems to have sold several of them since end of last year and all with poisitive feedback.... maybe worth a try?

I am on vodafone, so have my iphone unlocked... but need to remain on vodafone!

He was told about these................

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/O2-3G-Sim-PAY...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1308

Does anybody have any experience of using one of these?
Using one of these on a PAYG basis seems to be alot cheaper than taking out a contract with O2.
Comments and suggestions please................

Potential 'catches':

1) There is a low 'fair use' restriction on the amount of data - I've seen some of the PAYG SIMs reported as 250MB. This may not be a problem with iPhone but isn't enough for many users using a laptop and mobile broadband.

2) Call charges?

3) Watch out for a minimum monthly call top up.

Apart from that if it works then it's not a huge amount to dabble with to get the phone operational and see how you use it.

He is not the only guy on ebay selling these. There are usually 3 or 4 others - and all have +ve feedback.

Potential 'catches':

1) There is a low 'fair use' restriction on the amount of data - I've seen some of the PAYG SIMs reported as 250MB. This may not be a problem with iPhone but isn't enough for many users using a laptop and mobile broadband.

2) Call charges?

3) Watch out for a minimum monthly call top up.

Apart from that if it works then it's not a huge amount to dabble with to get the phone operational and see how you use it.

I believe there is a "fair use" download policy in operation which I THINK is limited to about 0.5Gb a month. This is not a problem as he only wants it for browsing. He can download anything he wants at home where I have unlimited downloads with BT.
There is no minimum monthly top-up for the first 12 months. After 12 months you need to top-up with a minimum of £10 a month. But that £10 is only for calls and text useage. Not internet access, which is still "free".
Call charges are free to other O2 users and no more than the usual PAYG rates from other providers.
All in all, there doesnt appear to be a downside to it.
But being the cynic I am, I remain to be convinced.

Probably nothing wrong with them tbh, the cheapest way to buy a new iPhone is to buy pay as you go and then either stick your o2 contract sim in it or unlock it to use in other networks.

I have a iPhone pay as you go sim as that's how I bought mine, if I could remember where it was - you could have it.

Never heard of them before, but just bought one - will let you know how I get on. I intend to port the number of my daughter's existing iPhone 2G as well - should be interesting to see if O2 question the new sim card or not.

Please do keep us updated, I'm curious to know if you can port a number to that "contract". If so, I'm definetly buying one!

M.

Please do keep us updated, I'm curious to know if you can port a number to that "contract". If so, I'm definetly buying one!

M.
Me too.
Posting to subscribe to this thread...

I've got a sim-free Samsung Omnia with an O2 payg sim in it.
Would happily pay £20 for a year's internet access on it but would like to keep my existing number (or maybe divert it if that's the only option).

Me too.
Posting to subscribe to this thread...

I've got a sim-free Samsung Omnia with an O2 payg sim in it.
Would happily pay £20 for a year's internet access on it but would like to keep my existing number (or maybe divert it if that's the only option).

The divert would probably cost more than t'internet!

The divert would probably cost more than t'internet!
Really?
I figured O2 to O2 would be cheap or free. :confused:
Will have to look into it...

[edit]
If you can’t answer your mobile, you can divert your calls to another number of your choice. It won’t cost you a thing to set up a divert, but you will be charged for the diverted calls according to your usual tariff. For example, if you divert to another O2 phone you’ll be charged at your O2 to O2 rate, and so on.

Last edited:
Sim card arrived this morning in a sealed package - same as if it had been bought from an O2 shop, together with a £10 paid top up voucher - so far so good!

Haven't tried it yet - soon as I have, will post again......

Just received mine as well.
Number one son has now put it in his iPhone and is happily tapping away and browsing facebook.
So it all seems to be fine.
Not bad eh.........£10 for a years internet............
Certainly a tad cheaper than a 02 contract...........

OK - SIM card in the iPhone, all works perfectly. Rang O2 to transfer the number from the old iPhone PAYG SIM to the new one and that was done this morning.

All perfect. Even tranferred the old credit balance over (although that means I lost the new £10 top up that comes with the SIM)

Result!:D

Slightly OT but my daughter has just bought one (iPhone3G) on PAYG, our contracts are all t-mobile, can the iPhone be used on t-mobile by unlocking? If so how is it done?

Thanks

Mark.

can the iPhone be used on t-mobile by unlocking? If so how is it done?

Thanks

Mark.

Hi Mark yes you can, search youtube for 'iphone jailbreak' for step by step instructional vids. make sure you check your software version is the same as the one on the vid.
on the iphone- Settings > General > About

OK - SIM card in the iPhone, all works perfectly. Rang O2 to transfer the number from the old iPhone PAYG SIM to the new one and that was done this morning.

All perfect. Even tranferred the old credit balance over (although that means I lost the new £10 top up that comes with the SIM)

Result!:D

Update: They automatically put the credit on as well, so I kept the £10 that came with the new sim card, plus the credit that was on the old sim card :)

Slightly OT but my daughter has just bought one (iPhone3G) on PAYG, our contracts are all t-mobile, can the iPhone be used on t-mobile by unlocking? If so how is it done?

Thanks

Mark.

Be warned. Apple are in the process of doing something which COULD render all unlocked/jailbroken iPHONES unusable.
Read this.............
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/28/iphone-update-facts-and-fiction/

I know this article is now a year or two old, but apple seem intent on carrying on down this route.
I for one, would not want to end up risking getting my iPhone barred or bricked for the sake of saving a few quid.

Be warned. Apple are in the process of doing something which COULD render all unlocked/jailbroken iPHONES unusable.
Read this.............

I know this article is now a year or two old, but apple seem intent on carrying on down this route.
I for one, would not want to end up risking getting my iPhone barred or bricked for the sake of saving a few quid.

Thanks, it's not a matter of saving a few quid, it just makes it easier to put one of our t-mobile business sims and keep all our phone costs to one bill.

I found this site which looks like it could do the trick....

http://www.unlockiphonehq.com/

I am a bit wary so if anyone has more info I'm listening. Thanks

Mark.

Read this.............

Whoaaaaaaaa, that is very old news!

I believe the current state of affairs with regard to iPhone unlocking is as follows:

1st Gen (2G): No problem, easily unlocked
2nd Gen (3G): Has been unlocked but not fully reliable yet. Google 'yellowsn0w'

What usually happens is that the phone is unlocked, apple patch it, dev team finds a way around that, rinse lather repeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom