Apple iPhone question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks, it's not a matter of saving a few quid, it just makes it easier to put one of our t-mobile business sims and keep all our phone costs to one bill.

I found this site which looks like it could do the trick....

http://www.unlockiphonehq.com/

I am a bit wary so if anyone has more info I'm listening. Thanks

Mark.

I'd be very wary - most of these sites usually have some repackaged form of the free tool which the original creators made.

I also believe that you can use a turboSIM with a 3G to get it unlocked, but not 100% on that one.

Be careful with unlocking iPhones - it's not unusual for apple to "brick" (i.e. break and render useless) any unlocked phones with updates...

Has anyone tried V2.2.1 S/W from apple yet with the HFP cradle?

Please do keep us updated, I'm curious to know if you can port a number to that "contract". If so, I'm definetly buying one!

M.
Here's the online form to do just that - Transfer your O2 Pay & Go mobile number to your new Pay & Go SIM card

I just clicked 'Buy it now' on one myself, so I'm wondering if I can transfer not just my old number to the new SIM but also vice versa (so the old SIM I have can be donated to one of my kids for cheaper calling between us).
Guess I'm better off doing it by phone to achieve that without issue.

My son has just bought a nearly new 8Gb 3G iPhone off a friend. All legit - nothing dodgy. Honest.
Its still locked to O2 as originally supplied and he wants to keep it that way.
Now he has to find the cheapest way of using all its functions including web browsing and email.

He was told about these................

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/O2-3G-Sim-PAY...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1308

Does anybody have any experience of using one of these?
Using one of these on a PAYG basis seems to be alot cheaper than taking out a contract with O2.
Comments and suggestions please................
Thank you in advance.

I beieive that if you buy a PAYG iphone from O2 you get free web access for a year anyway, so I am sure you could just buy the sim card legit from O2

I beieive that if you buy a PAYG iphone from O2 you get free web access for a year anyway, so I am sure you could just buy the sim card legit from O2
These SIMs are from iPhones, probably ones that have been unlocked and sold on separately.

If you think O2 will sell them, I challenge you to provide a link to one on the O2 shop.
Ain't gonna happen. :p

Anyone know if these SIM's will work in other unlocked phones? could do with the cheap web access and im already on O2 anyway but i'm i'd rather not downgrade to an iphone.

Anyone know if these SIM's will work in other unlocked phones? could do with the cheap web access and im already on O2 anyway but i'm i'd rather not downgrade to an iphone.

Downgrade????? From what?

They SHOULD do.
Important word is should.
But they are only guaranteed to work with the apple iPhone.
However I dont know of anyone who has bought one and found it doesnt work on other web enabled phones that are O2 capable.
Its only £12 (or £11 if you live near Birmingham) either way and worth a punt surely.
Here is a new link and according to this particular seller, he states it WILL work in other phones.............so there you go.........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/O2-3G-SIM-CAR...ryZ29779QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:

That probably sounded more snooty than it was meant to, i have a Nokia 5800 which does pretty much everything the iphone does but has much better media capabilities and the sound and screen quality is better, plus being an S60 based phone it has lots more free software, also much better for piccies and video and it was half the price, i think the only thing the iphone beats it on is the iphone touch screen can sense two fingers on the screen at once which i can live without.

They SHOULD do.
Important word is should.
But they are only guaranteed to work with the apple iPhone.
However I dont know of anyone who has bought one and found it doesnt work on other web enabled phones that are O2 capable.
Its only £12 (or £11 if you live near Birmingham) either way and worth a punt surely.
Here is a new link and according to this particular seller, he states it WILL work in other phones.............so there you go.........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/O2-3G-SIM-CAR...ryZ29779QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cheers, might as well give it a whirle, its hardly a crisis if it dont work. :)

As far as I am aware , if you currently have an original iPhone on contract , which I do , you can upgrade to a 3G model and they give you one of these PAYG cards for your old iPhone .

My 18 month contract must be up fairly soon ( can't remember when but I got the iPhone on the Saturday of the launch weekend ) , I'd also imagine that I'd have the opportunity to change over to PAYG then .

I have thus far held back from changing to 3G as the only advantage for me would be the GPS feature - only there is no useable car navigation package ! I'm not bothered about faster browsing as I'm usually not far from a computer and at a hotspot the 2G iPhone is just as fast over wi-fi ; the very odd time I need internet or email out in the middle of nowhere the 2G speeds are adequate . At present I am still using my Treo 650 with TT Navigator 5 for navigation alongside the iPhone for everything else . The other bugbear is that the 3G iPhone is slightly bigger and does not fit in the Thb Bury cradle and I would have to buy yet another cradle for the new phone - WHY !

I really like the iPhone because of the seamless integration with my Macs ( as soon as I make a diary entry in iCal it is mirrored across the iPhone , Powerbook and the G5 in the house ) likewise my Mac.com email syncs instantly across all three devices , ditto Safari bookmarks - I never had this level of integration with Palm OS .

If they don't release a 'proper' satnav app for the iPhone soonish , I won't be upgrading to the 3G and will instead look at something like a Treo 680 , which is still Palm OS but , I think has wi-fi ( the only feature my 650 is lacking ) and stick my iPhone sim in it . This saddens me as a Mac user of some 20+ years standing . While I have no gripe with O2 , the only thing keeping me on that network would be the 'free' wi-fi included in the iPhone tariff - otherwise I'd go back to Orange , with whom I was for about 20 years before getting the iPhone ( only changed networks as I had no choice in order to get the iPhone ) .

Last edited:
I've just come back to O2 from Orange due the the rubbish signal where i live and the appaling customer service, O2 is working out slightly cheaper as well for me.

Mine arrived today, so I should be able to confirm shortly.
I'm looking to port my old number to this SIM and then vice versa, so I'll report back when I know how it goes. :)
My Samsung Omnia?
Can't say I'd be too happy to lose my camera quality and functions, MMS, full Bluetooth stack or the ability to cut, copy and paste, to name but a few things... let alone being locked into a proprietary OS platform. :p

Okay. A few teething troubles.
Apparently, you have to change the access point name from mobile.o2.co.uk to payandgo.o2.co.uk
You might also have to change the username and password to vertigo and password, respectively.
I didn't want to lose my old settings, just in case, so I set up a new connection for this.

I've managed to successfully connect to Google Maps and do the GPS XTRA data download but can't get Opera or IE to work yet.
Anyone whose done it successfully care to share your method and/or settings?

[edit] Oh and 3G is working, too. Might have to video call my son later! :D

Ha! Sussed it. :rock:

Needed to go into the settings of the browser and change connection from WAP to Internet (or whatever you put the settings under).

Best £12 I've spent in a while. :bannana:

Bear in mind though, after 12 months it'll start charging you a tenner a month until you cancel (and buy another SIM ;)).

Bought mine off this seller, they've got one up currently for £8.99 + 99p P&P, if you're quick (2 available). :cool:

Well i ordered mine yesterday evening, so we'll see if it works in my Nokia as well as it does in your Samung soon as it gets here. :D

I know what you mean about the Iphone's shortcomings, reminds of the old saying, "nice legs, shame about the face"

Cant take away the fact its a pretty snazzy phone, and very fashionable, but it definately looks better than it goes as they say. ;)

Last edited:
Got mine up and running in my Nokia, all my applications that need the internet can connect ok and i have my MMS working now, haven't tried the wifi yet as i havent been anywhere to test it.

I also brought one of these SIM's all works ok in my Palm Treo 750, however the only worrying thing is that it says that the free internet bolt on expires on Feb 24th. I am starting to think that may be I have been done.

Is there a way to use the free WiFi bit on my Ipod Touch?

Thanks

Tan

The bolt on renews itself automatically each month for a year - you'll get another text message on 24th Feb to say that it's renewed till 24th March, etc.

Something to know is that if you port a number to one of these SIMs, the bolt ons might get kicked off and you need to speak to iPhone cs to get them added back on (happened to me yesterday).

When you first access The Cloud wi-fi from the iPod Touch, just follow the links from the sign on page as if you have an iPhone and put your O2 mobile number in. Should work, but the access will be registered to the device you use (I guess by MAC address).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom