Apple laptop or desktop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swl

My cousin just started on an architecture course at Man Uni. A guy who has been on that course for a year recommended that he buys an Apple computer rather than one that runs on Windows OS. The guy suggested the new G5.

Looking at the products at the Apple store below,
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore
the speed seems rather slow compared to Windows product.

Staying at the halls of residence, as a safety precaution, he can lock up a laptop when he is finished with it. Looking at the difference in speed, should he opt for the G5 desktop instead of the much slower G4 laptop and hope that it doesn't get nicked?

Tia.

swl

Last edited:

The qustions is should he be buying an Apple at all. It would depend on what software he will need to run on it during his course and maybe even after he's finished. Surely?
Rgds
Les

Processor speeds

Mac's have always lagged behind in processor speeds, however the internals of the processor is quite a bit different from Intel processors so running the same application on a mac and pc and using simular file sizes the mac usually outperforms the pc. Photoshop is a good example.
This is not true all of the time of course, Mac's tend to be better at Graphics/DTP/Design/Modelling type applications, pc's better in other areas. Quark now have a Xpress for the PC, it crashes just the same though - :crazy:

It maybe that this course uses an application that is widely available on the Mac platform, Mac OS 10 has Unix under the fancy gui.

I've used both mac's and pc's, I tend to favour the mac but you can't blag as much "free" (uh huh) software as the pc. Don't think of a Mac as direct competitor to the desktop pc, it's more of a power workstation, well the price suggests it's so.

If your cousin is at college, try your local Apple store, Apple used to have a Student purchase assist program in the dim distant past - it may still exist.

Buy a laptop, you can take it with you wherever - just make sure you get the extended warranty with it, just in case you drop it/sit on it/spill beer over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom