applying for a job vacancy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricardo62

Car
e320
Hi all im posting this thread to let you people know of my annoyance and frustration in applying for a car sales vacancy with a main dealership.
Last week I applied on the careers section on there webpage ,unfortunately for some reason it would not let me send my c/v with my short covering letter, so I rang the head office and explained the situation and the lady in the H R dept said send it personally to her email ad which I duly did.
Igave it a few days after hearing nothing and sent a further email just enquiring if she had received said e mail and c/v , still no e mail back ,I then rang the local dealership and explained the situation ,and they said ring head office again and leave a answerphone message and they will ring back , alas no call back ,I rang again today and spoke to a lady in H R dept and was told to resend e mail and c/v again which I did .
Checked my emails today and nothing ! now is it me or does this smack of incompetence of said company after all there advertising for sales execs and my c/v is relevant for the job , just wanted your thoughts on this .

Sadly the world is full of incompetent folk.

However, keep your cool and persist. After all you are selling yourself so treat the whole experience as one long interview. If you can't sell yourself then they may feel you can't sell their cars!

If all else fails turn up for work on Monday morning telling them that HR had appointed you!

Good luck wwith the job hunting. Keep at it. You'll get there in the end.

Never mind a job there, you should hear some of the stories of people waiting for phone calls about them buying cars from main dealers!

Sadly the world is full of incompetent folk.

However, keep your cool and persist. After all you are selling yourself so treat the whole experience as one long interview. If you can't sell yourself then they may feel you can't sell their cars!

If all else fails turn up for work on Monday morning telling them that HR had appointed you!

Good luck wwith the job hunting. Keep at it. You'll get there in the end.
Thank you for prompt reply , er I take it you were joking about the turning up for work bit? , but yes I obviously cant be irate over the phone with them as im trying to get a job with them , but I just find it very unproffesional .. on a note is it me being cynical and thinking it might be ageism as im not a 20 something fresh out of uni go getter ?

Last edited:
Thank you for prompt reply , er I take it you were joking about the turning up for work bit? , but yes I obviously cant be irate over the phone with them as im trying to get a job with them , but I just find it very unproffesional .. on a note is it me being cynical and thinking it might be ageism as im not a 20 something fresh out of uni go getter ?

Well I was joking about turning up for work. However, the more I think about it the more I like the idea!

Brace yourself now for a stiff talking to from a well meaning friend

Yes, I believe you are being cynical. Companies need as many older, stable employees as young high fliers only there for the training and then they are off!!!

Don't waste time chatting on here. Get back on that bloody phone and don't stop till you get that interview!

All the best.

A further development , I rang again just 5 minutes ago , and yes they have received my e mail , I then explained that I also have a profile on linked in ? its a networking site for professional people , and if they would care to look me up on said site then will find further information on my career to date , and guess what she put the phone down on me!!!! I kid you not , do I persevere or if im going to not get anywhere is your advice to burn my bridges and ring them and tell them to forget it and give them some advice on acting proffesionaly ? bearing in mind I will get the satisfaction of venting my anger but will do myself out of any chance of employment with them..

Also to add in a large organistation a week is not a long time to wait to return an email or to call. The saying is bad news always travels fastest and I have always found this to be true.

To give you an example of my own personal experience. Quite a few years ago I applied for a job, had 3 interviews and was offered the position. Terms were agreed over the phone, salary, holidays, bonus, car allowance, private health etc.

It took almost 2 months from that conversation for me to turn up to work. Not including arriving on the monday only to be told there weren't expecting me until the following week. Which I did get paid for thankfully.

The whole process form applying for the job to starting work. 3 months.

This was a big swedish telecoms company.

So stick with it.

I also use LinkedIn so know what you mean.

Don't always assume people hang up. All kinds of things can disconnect a phone call. They clearly have your details so just sit back and wait. No point venting anger. Perhaps call again in a few days and ask if they've considered your application. Don't burn bridges as you never know when they'll be needed!
Try other local dealerships. if only for the experience of application and interview

I once flew to Cape Town for a job interview,was told yes we have a job for you when you come out here to live.Few weeks later i arrived at the showroom to be told nothing here!
I took out a 1/4 page ad in the newspaper offering myself,nothing.I went banging on doors and got a job selling new Jags,they thought an british accent would go down well.
7 months later i was branch manager.

Maybe they don't like your hair style.

Just kidding.

Don't always assume people hang up. All kinds of things can disconnect a phone call. They clearly have your details so just sit back and wait. No point venting anger. Perhaps call again in a few days and ask if they've considered your application. Don't burn bridges as you never know when they'll be needed!
Try other local dealerships. if only for the experience of application and interview
Thank you a nice Campari and soda is the remedy to my frustration , and soothes the nerves sipping as I text! yes your right I will await hopefully a response from said company .
no point in winning the battle but losing the war , and yes linkedin is a help at least it does no harm in having a profile on there and letting members know I am in the market so to speak .

Also to add in a large organistation a week is not a long time to wait to return an email or to call. The saying is bad news always travels fastest and I have always found this to be true.

To give you an example of my own personal experience. Quite a few years ago I applied for a job, had 3 interviews and was offered the position. Terms were agreed over the phone, salary, holidays, bonus, car allowance, private health etc.

It took almost 2 months from that conversation for me to turn up to work. Not including arriving on the monday only to be told there weren't expecting me until the following week. Which I did get paid for thankfully.

The whole process form applying for the job to starting work. 3 months.

This was a big swedish telecoms company.

So stick with it.
NOKIA ? or are they a different Scandinavian company

I once flew to Cape Town for a job interview,was told yes we have a job for you when you come out here to live.Few weeks later i arrived at the showroom to be told nothing here!
I took out a 1/4 page ad in the newspaper offering myself,nothing.I went banging on doors and got a job selling new Jags,they thought an british accent would go down well.
7 months later i was branch manager.
now that's what I call inniative , sorry not sure if that's the right spelling?

these days the only people that will get replies for normal jobs are those short listed for interview - nobody cares about niceities anymore - also its who you know rather than what you know - dads mates and all that - only other way is to follow the example of geoff19 - thats the bottom line - sad to say

that's reality i'm afraid - don't tear yourself up about rejections, you'll only get depressed - direct your energies at knocking on doors - u may not get a job straightaway - but at least your face will be known - and if it fits u may get an offer if someone leaves

Last edited:

Feel free to look my profile up on linkedin and see my credentials if you so wish .
Ricardo Roadnight , and yes that is my real name I was born with!

these days the only people that will get replies for normal jobs are those short listed for interview - nobody cares about niceities anymore - also its who you know rather than what you know - dads mates and all that - only other way is to follow the example of geoff19 - thats the bottom line - sad to say
That does not bode well for me then as my father is no longer with me , mind you he was my mentor he worked his way up from salesman to become a sales director of Toshiba tec ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom