Applying protective film to CLS wheelarch - any tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk208

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS
Hi folks,

My CLS being prefacelift had the 4 pieces of clear plastic film on it as standard (2 on rear wheel arches, 2 on rear doors) to protect against stonechips.

At some point in the car's history one of these (nearside wheel arch piece) was removed and it has picked up a couple of stone chips in this area.

I bought another film from MB to apply to the arch to stop and further chips etc.

I'm looking for tips/guidance on attaching this to the body as professionally as possible. Are these things super tacky and you only get one go to attach?

It's a fairly complex piece which wraps from the wheelarch into the door shut.

Will post a photo later if nobody knows what I am on about..

Make you it is clean

Dewax it

Apply but take time not to get air under it

If it's the sort of 3M protective film that I've applied on motorcycles in the past, my advice would be don't attempt to apply it at current ambient temperatures unless you're in a heated workshop as it will likely not go well.

When you do apply it, you will need a trigger spray bottle of water with a few drops of washing up liquid in it, and a firm but flexible squeegee.

First make sure that the paint surface is scrupulously clean, then mist the area that you're applying the film to with the trigger spray. Peel the backing off the film, and mist the adhesive side of it with the spray too. Gently apply the film to the car body and the soapy water will allow you to slide the film to into the correct position. Working from the centre of the film towards the edges, use the squeegee to gently expel the soapy water and any air bubbles. If you see any evidence of foreign matter (dust or grit, etc.) under the film stop immediately and carefully peel it back. Remove the offending object and thoroughly mist both the bodywork and the film again before using the squeegee again.

Don't waste your time trying to do the wheelarch one, it's a nightmare job due to the creases in the door joint and the multiple contours it has to follow, you'll also need a heat gun to soften and stretch it or you won't get anywhere.

Best bet is to pop into your local MB repair shop and talk nicely to them.

It's odds on that it was removed to do a body repair so check the panel carefully before you do anything.

If it was the one on the door it's quite simple following the advice above.

What Phil has said above.

I've been thinking of getting a film applied to my E55 front bumper and maybe front section of bonnet. There's quite a few vids showing how to do it. Of course it looks pretty easy but......:dk:

Here's a cringey vid but there are lots of others:thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY_Rd6xur_I

Thanks folks, saved me wasting a good replacement foil. Argh looks like a professional only job then. Tricky as driving it somewhere and asking if someone will apply for some ready cash would necessitate them cleaning it again so not a 5 min job. SWMBOs Yaris having a smart repair done soon, might see if smart repair guy fancies having a go at the film whilst here.

Thanks folks, saved me wasting a good replacement foil. Argh looks like a professional only job then. Tricky as driving it somewhere and asking if someone will apply for some ready cash would necessitate them cleaning it again so not a 5 min job. SWMBOs Yaris having a smart repair done soon, might see if smart repair guy fancies having a go at the film whilst here.

Hi,
I just got my rear windows tinted in my CLS, and asked him to put some clear wrap on my N/S wheel arch as mine was missing to, he only charged me an extra £20 inc. the clear wrap.
I would just take your car to a window tinting company and ask if one of the guys would do it for you for a drink after all you are supplying the foil.
I expect I may get the OEM foil for mine as the clear film he put on my car is very thin and can hardly be seen, though this may just be because the edge of my original one has a fine layer of dirt on its edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom