Approved second hand from dealer - advice sought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marc

Car
1991 Mercedes 500SEL
As my 91 500SEL bites the dust (see "engines" for thread) I'm now considering approved Mercs.

I've owned an 85 190e and then a 91 500SEL. Both ended up with problems that cost as much as the car to rectify (the 500 possibly making it scrap as I feel spending more on car/repair is possibly mad).

Would I get a decent deal from an approved Merc in terms of price and warranty? I could shell out about £2000 as a deposit.

I have no experience at all with such a deal, all opinions welcome and many thanks for a community that I could turn to on this one!

Naturally you'll pay a bit of a premium on price . . . . have a look at

www.directmercedes.co.uk

for a good selection - this is where I got mine . . . you are at least guaranteed at least a year's warranty + breakdown cover should anything major go - try and negotiate additional warranty.

Plus they will only sell cars with full MB History.

Would I buy from them again . . . . probably not, as I now have a much better idea of what to look out for ; if you're looking for nearly new then they are as good a source as a main dealer - but no cheaper.

S.

Looking for a big (ish) Benz for about £6k cash.

Probably too old from a main dealer I guess?

Seen a nice Mercedes-benz S-Class S320 LIMO [ M Reg , Auto, Dark Blue Grey Leather, MOT-02-2004 etc fully loaded with full MBSH] £5,450.

"Dealer" but no warranty.

Once bitten and all that (just having had a non full SH 500SEL kick the bucket).

APologies if I was/am in cloud cuckoo land re a dealer and warranty for that money!

A man has to dream! _

Thanks - I know about the S-Class (a bit!) having just owned one. The one I've seen for £5450 has air con/climate control/electric seats - front and rear/Full MBSH/2 owners/ 63,000 miles/central locking/leather seats/privacy blind/8 hole alloy wheels/10 CD changer/Air bags/Anti-lock ABS/Traction Control/Cruise control and is a LWB LIMO.

Sounds like an ideal replacement for my cherished yet dead 500SEL - although I'll miss the V8!

No warranty though - and that was my concern, I assume I'd not get an approved 2nd Benz from a dealer with warranty etc. for a similar price? (that was the main point I was asking about - what I could expect from a dealer).

Its hard to believe that mileage on that car and price. Have you seen the car and paperwork....

The other thing is that MB dealers dont sell these on, they go straight to an auction, they are too old for a dealer to sell.

Not seen the car yet, await approval on a loan!

Thanks for the point about MB dealers selling this sort of vehicle on directly at auction (the seller says that's how he got this one).

I've seen one other similar:

"Mercedes-benz S-Class 3.2 S320 , Petrol, L Reg , Automatic, Black Grey Metallic, Saloon, 4 Doors. Adjustable Seat Height, Adjustable Seat Lumbar Support, Adjustable Steering Column, Air Bag, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, Anti-Lock Brakes, Automatic Transmission, Central Door Locking, Cruise Control, Driver Air Bag, Electric Adjustable Mirror, Electric Slide/Tilt Steel Sunroof, Electric Windows, Excellent Condition, Full Main Dealer Service History, Immobilizer, In Car Entertainment, Leather Upholstery, Passenger Air Bag, Power-Assisted Steering.Recent £1000 Mercedes Service £5,995 ".

If it does not come with a warranty have a look at the AA for a Warranty. They cost around £500 but are well worth it. The AA will pay main dealer rates and pay up on claims quite well.

Regards

Tan

p.s. I am with them for my second year now, and they very kindly paid for my new MAS sensor :bannana:

Had a look at http://tinyurl.com/u2xm
which seems very good.

If only... etc when pondering the demise of my current 500SEL.

Awaiting approval of finance then I'm out there looking for a 95-ish S-Class S320 - as loaded as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom