Approved Used Cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossh

Car
Looking for an ML
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and currently looking for an ML W164.

We have seen one at a Mercedes dealer thats the spec and price we like, but it's a bit far for us to travel from Essex at over 200 miles away.

Does anyone know if the local Mercedes dealer to us would be able to get hold of the cars based at other dealers if they are part of the approved used network? If not, could they value our car for part-ex and pass that on to the other dealer?

Also, what's the usual sort of deal you could expect to get from a Mercedes dealer when buying used?

Thanks in advance,

Great forum by the way :thumb:

Ross

Last edited:
I've heard of new cars being swapped between dealers, and new and used cars being delivered to customers at the opposite end of the country, but I can't recall an approved used car being transferred.

Unless it's an exceptional car, I can't imagine there being much of a incentive for either dealer to transfer a used car unless you as the customer pick up the cost of doing so.

Have a chat to your local dealer, you never know they may be up for it if they think there's ongoing business off the back of it, but they'll probably try and get you into one of their own cars.

The tyre kicking that goes on when valuing a part-ex is mainly for show once it has been ascertained that there's no visible problems, as most stock will go straight to non-franchised dealers who underwrite the purchase, and that will all be done based upon book price.

So all of that said, it's probably best to speak to the dealer who has it at the moment, and see what they can do for you. They may be willing to hold it - with or without a deposit, but make sure it's refundable first! - but if you do, I would suggest doing almost all of the negotiation over the phone, and make it clear that you expect them to cover your travel costs if there are any discrepancies in condition or service history. Once you've travelled 200 miles you're not in a strong negotiating position!

We travelled 200 miles to view a W164 ML at Mercedes-Benz of Exeter and it was as far away from described as possible. We walked away, but only the first few steps, not all 200 miles. :D

I would work on £1k plus discount on sticker price but there are so many variables it's difficult to say, ie valuation on your px, finance or cash, additional purchases like gap cover, performance against targets, length of time they had it in stock, how many similar cars they have in stock, etc.

Ross.

Find out if the dealer is part of a network. If so, do you have a local dealership ?

If that is the case then you are in a decent position. Go in, tell them you have seen a car that their sister dealership has and let them have a look at your car.

Screw them into a deal dependent on seeing the car you fancy and get it shipped over for your evaluation.

It's your deal to walk away from ...

Welcome Ross,

My local MB dealer was prepared to get vehicles from other dealers but only if within the same group, and I believe this isn't unusual elsewhere, though typically groups are only regional.

I bought my Used Approved from Brooklands- 250 miles away- and everything including my p/ex went exactly to plan, being completed within 7 days of first contact, having had much discussion over the phone and with emailed photos.
On the way down I was doubting my wisdom, but I ended up delighted, and have seen several other forum members share similar experiences. But of course there is a risk of disappointment and a wasted day.

My folks bought their E class over the phone from Mercedes of Edinburgh.

Obviously they'd seen the pics online but had a lengthy chat with the salesman to ascertain the exact condition of the car. The price including a discount plus the value of their p/ex was again agreed over the phone.

The car was fully serviced then delivered the following week with the driver taking their p/ex away. This was all done on the understanding that should the vehicle not be as described or they weren't happy in any way they would receive a full refund. Luckily they were over the moon with the car and its not put a foot wrong in the 18 months they've owned it.

It was the first time they'd done anything like this and understandably were a little nervous. The car now even goes to Mercedes of Coldstream (part of the same group) for its servicing rather than use the local dealership given the experience the folks had when trying to buy a car there.

I bought my Used Approved from Brooklands- 250 miles away- and everything including my p/ex went exactly to plan, being completed within 7 days of first contact, having had much discussion over the phone and with emailed photos.

I meant to mention that over the phone I'd paid a deposit (can't remember if £500 or £1000)- fully refundable if I decided not to proceed for whatever reason- and the price to change was agreed, dependent on the condition of the vehicles being as expected. So although neither party was committed to proceed, they'd got the car taxed and prepped all the paperwork, which reassured me somewhat that they were confident I'd want the deal.

Hi,

Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated. I will get in touch with the dealer and see what options are available for us to either view the car or purchase over the phone (including part-ex).

I will keep you posted on their response.

Thanks again,

Ross

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and currently looking for an ML W164.

We have seen one at a Mercedes dealer thats the spec and price we like, but it's a bit far for us to travel from Essex at over 200 miles away.

Does anyone know if the local Mercedes dealer to us would be able to get hold of the cars based at other dealers if they are part of the approved used network? If not, could they value our car for part-ex and pass that on to the other dealer?

Also, what's the usual sort of deal you could expect to get from a Mercedes dealer when buying used?

Thanks in advance,

Great forum by the way :thumb:

Ross

I bought from a dealer 180 miles away from where I live because they had the car I wanted. My dealer wanted 3K more for a similar car.

I called them and negotiated a price over the phone including part ex. I gave them a 1K refundable deposit on my credit card. I drove to them over the weekend and checked the car and negotiated further. I was happy with the car so I bought it. Car was delivered to me a week after and the driver took the part ex.

There were a couple of issues with the car when I got it due to poor preparation by the dealer. I had to go back to get them sorted on a Saturday but I got them to do the next service FOC. Everything else has been sorted under warranty on my local dealer so happy days.

My folks bought their E class over the phone from Mercedes of Edinburgh.

Obviously they'd seen the pics online but had a lengthy chat with the salesman to ascertain the exact condition of the car. The price including a discount plus the value of their p/ex was again agreed over the phone.

The car was fully serviced then delivered the following week with the driver taking their p/ex away. This was all done on the understanding that should the vehicle not be as described or they weren't happy in any way they would receive a full refund. Luckily they were over the moon with the car and its not put a foot wrong in the 18 months they've owned it.

It was the first time they'd done anything like this and understandably were a little nervous. The car now even goes to Mercedes of Coldstream (part of the same group) for its servicing rather than use the local dealership given the experience the folks had when trying to buy a car there.

I spoke to the dealer today and they said they can do the exact same thing as this. I have given them the details of my car and they are working on a deal for me now. He said they do a few long distance deals so always have plenty of pictures etc.

If the price if right and the misses is happy we might just go for it.

Ross

I have bought a couple of my cars from MB like this and their direct network are good at this as they can get motors from their other locations. I believe you are also protected by the distnace selling regs too which effectively gives you more rights, if for some reason something isnt right.

My current car was bought up from Brooklands to the midlands took them a while to get it transported but I saw it straight after delivery before it was cleaned and serviced and it was fine. Gives you a good indication of its previous life before they get it sorted inmho.
Also picked up my E55 from Portsmouth a few years ago and hadnt seen it until the day of picking it up and they had even transferred the plate by then. Get loads of pictures and ask lots of question on email so you have a record. I have yet to be dissappointed buying a used MB through their network.
Hope it goes well for you
Cheers
Glyn

Its good to see the positive experiences, personally i had to send my car back 6 times as my approved used car was not in a approved used state. scratches on paintwork which were promised to be repaired which were not, interior seat needed some work which was not completed, full valet which a 10 year old could have done better, crack in windscreen. and this was from the flagship branch. If it wasnt for the car i wouldnt have bought from there as the attitude of the sales guy was poor!

most were resolved but wasted alot of time and fuel and the car went back and forth 6 times in total!

anyway, that was my experience and i would always check the car out in person as not everything can be seen in pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom