Approved Used CLS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paddcomp, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Paddcomp

Paddcomp Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E320CDI Avantgarde Estate S211
    I getting close to deciding on a CLS from Mercs Approved Used network.

Question is other than negotiate a price, what else is worth asking for. My thoughts so far in order of preference.

1. Comand map update (car 2010)
    2. Discount on a set of winter wheels and tyres (Merc £2200, Alloywheels Direct and My Tyres £1500)
    3. Next service depending on req'mt.
    4. Additional tier 1 warranty

I'm looking to px my C220, and then paying the difference in cash. Can dealers get any of the above cheap enough to offer either free or low cost, or should I just get more money off?

2. mickl

mickl Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK280 W209
    may as well go for the jugular and ask for freebies and money off. They can only say no. Do this at the end of the month or end of the year when they have their quota and bonus to consider.

1 person likes this.
  3. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I wish.
    It's still worth checking the car out.

Evidently 'Approved Used' doesn't really mean jack sht other than they might have washed it...

4. joecash

joecash Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S320 CDI
    I would tend to agree - the "approved used" warranty may be good as a back up for the mechanicals - but go over it with a fine tooth comb and inspect it underneath as well as bodywork is not normally covered

5. Sambo

Sambo Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2 x MB
    The margins are so slim on the approved used scheme because the re con costs are so high.

Winter wheels/ mats / fuel / money off all comes out of the same pot.

If your enquiring on a particular used vehicle it's either the right spec or a good price to start with. In terms of a deal, don't expect much more than a token gesture as if the car is that good, they won't need to distress it. And if it's that bad, you won't want to buy it anyway.

6. OP
    OP
    Paddcomp

Car:
    I was under the impression that Approved Used went through a series of checks and were refurbished to meet a standard. I also thought that the warranty was tier 1.

7. OP
    OP
    Paddcomp

Car:
    On the flip side, the subsidies on new also make selling used difficult. I'm under no pressure to change so the deal will have to suit me to make it work.

8. GordonTarling

GordonTarling Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2007 E63 AMG V8 Estate
    That's what they want you to believe. The reality is that the quality of the checks all come down to the supplying dealer. I've bought two approved used cars from MB - the first couldn't have been checked at all, as I got a low oil warning within 100 miles of collecting it. The second was from a different dealer and a totally different experience - was very pleased with the whole process until some scrotes nicked it!

9. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Possibly.

The reality I suspect is that at best most cars are given a quick look over to check they're presentable for sale.

Then it's sold.

If the customer finds anything then the AUC warranty kicks in and stuff gets sorted.

The AUC scheme is really about confidence and comeback.

Tags: