Approved used E63 with expired road tax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheLegacy

Car
BMW X3
Good evening everyone.

Currently hoping to join the AMG family with an E63.

I was ready to place a deposit on this specific car tomorrow morning: mercedes

After a plate check i did tonight on totalcarcheck.co.uk i have found out something really puzzling.

The cars road tax has been expired since October 2019 and not only that but that the car has been advertised previously on November 2019 having a mileage of 4002 miles. This means that in the previous 8 months the car has only done 1 mile and that they havent been able to sell this car since then? Could anyone even test drive this car with out valid road tax?

Before finding this out, i have heard 2 different stories about the past of this car. One that the car is an ex-demonstrator and the second was that the car is an ex MB-Management car.

I would really appreciate your insight since i will not be able to visit the dealership to physically inspect the car, since i live in Cyprus and the car would be exported here.

I was unimaginably excited to complete my order tomorrow but now its fair to say i'm really really worried....

Last edited:
The car is a Dec. 2018 with last V5 issued Dec. 2018.

I wouldn't worry, last shown as 4049 miles at Mercedes.

Cars in the trade are not required to have road tax. It sounds to me as though the dealer acquired the car in November 2019 but it didn't sell from their first ad, so they took it off sale and it's been in their stock, off the road, ever since. Whether it was previously a staff car or demonstrator isn't really a factor with that sort of mileage. I don't think there's anything sinister there.

If you are happy with the price I'd say the car is fine.
BUT that Chelsea dealership is closing under MB rationalisation.
So who is selling you the car?
Can you get warranties and after sales validated for Cyprus?
Can you get a bigger discount?

The sale is being handled by Mercedes-Benz Hemel-Hempstead. Unfortunately the warranty for Mercedes cars in Cyprus, and in many other European countries, is for 2 years instead of 3 that you get in the UK. So i would only get factory warranty until December 2020 and after that i guess i am on my own.... :oops: Hoping i won't be running into major issues in the future since the mileage on this car is so low and the M177/8 engine seems pretty reliable by now.

In regards to the discount what would you guys expect on this car?

The sale is being handled by Mercedes-Benz Hemel-Hempstead. Unfortunately the warranty for Mercedes cars in Cyprus, and in many other European countries, is for 2 years instead of 3 that you get in the UK. So i would only get factory warranty until December 2020 and after that i guess i am on my own.... :oops: Hoping i won't be running into major issues in the future since the mileage on this car is so low and the M177/8 engine seems pretty reliable by now.

In regards to the discount what would you guys expect on this car?
No idea about achievable discount. Make a cheeky offer and see what happens. Most dealers need cash right now. The market has tanked. My local BMW dealer has more stock than a car supermarket.

Can’t comment on the specific history of that car, as I don’t know it but if it’s on the original V5 then it’s clearly one owner, the mileage data will probably not have been updated since the car was appraised and/or taken into stock. What with the Covid-19 lockdown it’s quite possible that’s it has sat around for a few months, that in itself doesn’t set alarm bells ringing. As said already, the dealer won’t need to tax the car if it’s sitting in stock, they have arrangements to cover that for test drives etc.

In terms of negotiation, the advertised price should include 2 years warranty (as per all approved used AMGs, ignore what it says on the link for now). Not sure how that works when it’s still got a year and half of factory warranty though? Maybe you could try and see if they’re willing to come to an arrangement over that as you wouldn’t be using any extended warranty if you’re in Cyprus? Regards the discount generally - MB Chelsea are part of the MB Retail Group - owned by MB themselves. They seen relatively firm on price but usually the cars are quite fairly priced to begin with and for UK buyers the additional warranty and approved used status offers some value and peace of mind compared to non-franchise dealers or private sales etc.

I guess the question is, have you seen nicer cars for less money? No idea on how good value that one is, but it has low mileage and obviously has you keen :)

because I am nosey, what are the practicalities and costs for importing to Cyprus?

Got the service report send to me by the dealer. One service performed on November 2019. Oil change at 4000 miles as well as the rear diff oil change.
It seems that the diff oil change was not done at 1800 miles as required by their OWN service requirements.... :wallbash::rolleyes:
Hopefully this doesn't greatly affect the diff life or the remainder of the factory warranty.

My dealer never informed me of the diff service, luckily I actually read the manual and contacted them instead. Poor show! You should insist it’s done if you do go for it.

because I am nosey, what are the practicalities and costs for importing to Cyprus?
Pretty straightforward procedure actually...
Shipping the car costs circa £1500 and it takes around 3 weeks for the car to arrive.
Then another £150 for the registration of the car and you're ready to go! :D

The road tax is a different story though.... Its gonna cost me around £900 per year o_O

My dealer never informed me of the diff service, luckily I actually read the manual and contacted them instead. Poor show! You should insist it’s done if you do go for it.

It seems that they did actually perform the diff oil change, but have done it at 4000 miles instead of 1800...

It seems that they did actually perform the diff oil change, but have done it at 4000 miles instead of 1800...

Sorry, skim read your previous post. That'll be fine then!

Before finding this out, i have heard 2 different stories about the past of this car. One that the car is an ex-demonstrator and the second was that the car is an ex MB-Management car.

both stories will be true, car most likely driven around by the dealer principle or high up manager. Declared as a demo car for tax reasons (think if the car is kept 90 days as a demo car there are large tax savings) and might have been used for the occasional demo. That’s why when you try to buy a demo car, you can’t have it until 90 days old - but dealer will want it gone by day 91

By the way - 4000 miles seem to be the boiler plate entry for cars that are pre-reg and currently driven by staff (I was told by staff myself). Def. ask for up to date mileage too. Of course it could just be correct and coincidence ;)

That would be my view, given the number i am buzzed by on my regular commute past MB HQ....

100% ... Although in my case I got an email forwarded from my sales guy where he didn't remove the comms between him and the director - and I don't think he faked it to the point where he shows me his mobile number (ok, could be fake too I guess) - was too .. elaborate for a sales monkey lol ... But 100% agree.

Last recorded mileage, on its last service, was 4049 miles. I'm expecting a video presentation of the car on Wednesday afternoon, the day they will have the car on their premises, so we'll definitely know the final mileage then.
Should i be losing any sleep that they changed the diff oil at 4000 miles instead of 1800?
I really appreciate your input guys :)

Now you made me wonder ... It seems the AMG supplement states after break in period of 2000 miles - obviously I didn't even know about it when I bought it as I don't think many people read the full manual before purchasing the vehicle.

Anyway, I tried to find out if my e63s had the oil change done and I cannot find any records of it anywhere - I tried to check online under online service record - but no record can be found.

Will need to check with the garage tomorrow but in your case if you DO have a record of the late change then I would think you are off the hook from a liability stand point of view. But I would certainly ask them to explain that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom