Approved Used Standards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ian1676

Car
2008 CLS320 CDi Obsidian Black/Basalt Grey Leather/Silk Burr Walnut
Am I being picky or are Stealer Approved Used cars not prepared as well as they should be?

I've just got my second approved used MB - first car 3 years ago had 2 scuffs on the bumpers when collected and a piece of trim hanging off inside by the rear screen. Current one (6 years old 71,000 miles) has wear on drivers seat bolster (colour missing), ashtray lid stuck open, front passenger window squeals REALLY loudly when lowering, red pen on the headlining in several places, chrome handle missing from the bin in front of the front central arm rest and the n/s wing mirror indicator doesn't work (despite just having passed the MOT?!?).

All WILL be sorted on Wednesday - that's why I buy approved used - but I shouldn't really have to take the car back as surely these things should be dealt with before sale (particularly given that I bought the car 3 weeks before delivery as they had to take a private plate off it!). My 8 year old W211 with 172,000 miles on it was immaculate when I part ex'd it so I'm a little disappointed!

So, am I just too picky?? :dk:

Current one (6 years old 71,000 miles) has wear on drivers seat bolster (colour missing), ashtray lid stuck open, front passenger window squeals REALLY loudly when lowering, red pen on the headlining in several places, chrome handle missing from the bin in front of the front central arm rest and the n/s wing mirror indicator doesn't work (despite just having passed the MOT?!?).

Why did you buy it??

I suspect that at this age there is a real risk that the car won't sell at Dealer price and will be sold to an auction house to make space for fresh stock.

Under these circumstances the dealer is probably reluctant to spend the time and money unless there is a buyer at hand.

I bought the car from a dealer 300 miles away and had it delivered to me so I couldn't look at it in detail until it arrived! The price was good, I wanted black and spec is good (Xenons, memory seats, parktronic and several other bits that aren't standard fit). I was assured the car would be prepared properly and thought the point of going to a dealer was that they had the best cars - I wouldn't have bought a car unseen from any retailer - I was relying on a main dealer's reputation. Also figured that if any problems did slip through the net, the warranty should sort them.

Whilst the have said they'll sort all of the issues when I'm passing on business next week, many of the faults I listed aren't really warranty issues so I can't really call into a local dealer and ask them to get the pen off the headlining!! I just thought that these basic issues should have been picked up by any second hand car dealer, let alone one that claims to know the car better than anyone else!! I would have expected it more from a cheapy car supermarket or a dodgy back street garage/man in a pub!!

The car is amazing and I will get it sorted soon - just a bit surprised really!!

They don't seem to check things over as I had a used approved and basically when I looked at it I and they made a list of things to fix before I picked it up. Still took a month to get a missing manual and despite me telling them about a engine recall which they assured didn't apply in fact did and I had to get the work done at my local dealer!

You do realise that they are just like every other second-hand car dealers don't you?
In other words they do as little as possible to the cars and try and get away with as much as possible. There is nothing 'special' about them being 'approved used' . It is simply a marketing handle and certainly doesn't mean they are up and above all other traders, simply because they are MB traders.

It always makes me laugh when people come on here and whine(and this is not aimed at the OP)that their secondhand car is ropey, when they never actually looked at or let alone had their car inspected. What do you expect?

stwat said:
You do realise that they are just like every other second-hand car dealers don't you? In other words they do as little as possible to the cars and try and get away with as much as possible. There is nothing 'special' about them being 'approved used' . It is simply a marketing handle and certainly doesn't mean they are up and above all other traders, simply because they are MB traders. It always makes me laugh when people come on here and whine(and this is not aimed at the OP)that their secondhand car is ropey, when they never actually looked at or let alone had their car inspected. What do you expect?

So are your comments aimed at me as I did check the car and made a list of things to be done on it which they did. My comment was around the fact, as the OP stated, that the most basic of checks (i.e. recalls) are not even checked!

In other words they do as little as possible to the cars and try and get away with as much as possible.

Agreed , when i went to look at my CLS that was nice and shiney and ready for sale on their forecourt which i would assume had received their multi point check i still found a few things that had to be rectified before i would take the car.

I find most car salesmen are "chancers" (professional liers would be too strong a statement) and until they realise that you are no "mug" they will continue with the B/S. My salesman said he would throw in a set of mats as part of the deal , "like the ones already in the boot" i said. He replied that he didnt know they were there , just like the ipod connecting cables that he was going to throw in as he was such a great guy , that were also in the boot - under the mats :fail

Maybe i am just getting less tolerant towards ****holes in my old age but i cannot be bothered with some sharp suited "boy" trying to mug me off thinking i am wet behind the ears.

Kenny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom