Are 2011-2012 SLK any good ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reggie-rock

Car
2015 E Class coupe 220 diesel bluetec, 2009 Mitsubishi Colt 1.3
Following the disappointing response with my previous thread can any SLK owners advise me if these cars are worth buying and what to look out for please.
Many thanks

Which SLK were you thinking of getting? The R172 comes with various engines,from 1.8's to 4.2's, and also diesels

What is your budget? That will determine which version (R170 / R172 / R172) you might be looking at.

What will the car be used for? A daily driver or a weekend and funds car?

What mileage might you do? That may determine petrol or diesel.

As with any car, you should be looking for a full service history, with invoices to back up the work. I don’t rely on just a “stamped service book” as these can easily be faked.

Check out the MoT history - have any advisoires been dealt with promptly, backed up with invoice.

Do the tyres match - ideally all round but at least on the same axle.

Do all the gadgets work - depending on spec, this could include electric, heated seats, air con, air scarf, say nav (are the maps up to date? They are v expensive to update)

When you find a contender, try a long (30 minute plus) test drive - make sure you can get comfortable. I struggle to get comfortable in my R172 350.

What is your budget? That will determine which version (R170 / R172 / R172) you might be looking at.

What will the car be used for? A daily driver or a weekend and funds car?

What mileage might you do? That may determine petrol or diesel.

The SLK will be just for pleasure mostly at weekends with around 5,000 miles a year so petrol and my budget is around £12,000 - £13,000.

Which SLK were you thinking of getting? The R172 comes with various engines,from 1.8's to 4.2's, and also diesels

Which is the most reliable ? I think the 4.2 would OTT for me although I am used to a powerful car as it will replace my Jag XK 4.2 but soon get tired of using all the gee gees and drive at a sedate pace most of the time.

The 200 petrol is adequate, my Mrs has a 250 petrol and for a 1.8 it is pretty swift. The engine is a bit noisy, not in a good way, it seems alright on fuel economy as far as I can tell - she uses it so rarely the fuel is probably evaporating faster than she is burning it.

The roof has some form for leaking and her's is no exception, MB seem clueless as to where the leak stems from.

Cool options (in my view) are the magic sky roof and the analogue clock on top of the dash.

Nearly everyone will say that the AMG sport models are the ones to go for, I'm unconvinced, the ride is compromised and I don't particularly like the appearance, the front corner has the look of a 1980s MR2 in my opinion.

For your budget you could get a nicely spec’d R171 350 (would be a 2010 car), or a 4-pot R172.

Both models are good, but the R172 has a better interior and a better ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you go for a four-pot engine version, I strongly suggest getting one with a six-speed manual box. We had a facelift SLK200 (R171) manual for seven-years and enjoyed it a lot. My only regret is not getting one with sport pack (bigger brakes, lowered, plus a few other bits and bobs). When the R172 came out, we took up the offer of a test drive in a 250AMG Sport with 7G-tronic plus. It was a very nice car, but the auto box just killed it for me as a sports car.

Best version I've driven was a 2010 SLK350 (R171) with manual box and sport pack. Had a romp around the track at Brooklands. Proper hoot getting a drift on flat in third around the big right hand sweeper. :)

Thanks so far for the replies so far. I do favour an auto-box for as it's a change from my other little hatchback which is a manual. The leaky folding roofs worry me most of all and wonder where the common areas they leak and is it a matter of just renewing some rubber seals?

I've had three since 2013 (if you include the new SLC as one lol) and have not had a leaking roof on any of them. Even during car washes!

Mine have been (is) the 250d version with auto (9 speed in the new one) and have been faultless.

I agree the AMG Sport (Line now) do ride a bit harder than the standard Sport models, but not annoyingly so to me. Personally I like the looks in fact maybe more than the SLC which has more the look of the old Sport model to me except for the front splitter of course!

In my opinion the SLK makes a great toy, but it's no sports car - a special feeling roadster that is quite quick and good handling is how I'd best describe it :)

I've got the SLC300 which has the 9 speed auto, if you keep the revs down it is surprisinlgy economical to run. I've managed up to 47mpg on a long run, usually still around 38mpg at m/way speeds. And if the mood takes you, 245bhp isn't too bad in a small car.

Thanks so far for the replies so far. I do favour an auto-box for as it's a change from my other little hatchback which is a manual. The leaky folding roofs worry me most of all and wonder where the common areas they leak and is it a matter of just renewing some rubber seals?
MB replaced the seals in ours to me effect.
They have resealed the roof which has made a difference.

We have a 58 plate SLK 280 (3 litre v6) with sport pack. It’s quite “heavy” to drive compared to our previous 13 plate SLK 250 diesel.
Minor leak on a window/roof seal just above drivers door mirror.
Most journeys 4 to 10 miles and it does high 20’s mpg. Took it out for a good blast cross country to the coast & back earlier in the summer. SWMBO gripping the sides of the seat & trying to press an imaginary brake pedal. Still returned high 20’s

If opting for a car equipped with the M271 engine (1.8L 4-cyl petrol), get the timing gear checked.

In my opinion the SLK makes a great toy, but it's no sports car - a special feeling roadster that is quite quick and good handling is how I'd best describe it :)
That sounds a bit like damning with faint praise - which I suspect wasn’t your intention.

My wife is on her second SLK. The first was a 2009 R171 SLK350 with Sport Pack which she had for 7 years, and she’s currently in a 2015 R172 SLK55. Do they drive like a Boxster? No, they don’t, but they aren’t that far behind in driving dynamics and they make a very good “mini GT” car that’s great for longer touring trips.

Neither have suffered any roof leaks, and both required just routine servicing and both did/do a pretty good impression of a proper sports car ;)

A couple of cautionary notes. If you’re tall you may find it impossible to get comfortable in the car, so try it out properly. Second point is that spec makes a huge difference to them. Things like airscarf, memory pack (if two of you drive it), full climate control rather than manual air-con, dimming mirrors, auto wipers and so forth make the car much nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No! Certainly wasn't my intention! :) The car drives very well, but to me isn't as "sporty" as it looks, but that's not an issue for me, I like it as it is, hence I've had three of them! :)

I agree with the space issue. I'm 6'2 and "just" fit in, with the seat right back 'till it almost touches the firewall (going all the way back 'till it touches the sidewall and you'll get squeaks and knocks anytime the road gets a bit rough! :D )

Overall, it's a fabulous toy and I'm sad that it's apparently for the chop in the next year or so.

Mercedes SLC Roadster Could Soon Be Scrapped

Mine goes in next week for the 'roof leak' to be cured, seems to be leaking where the glass 'pano' roof seals against the metal frame - rubber seals round the whole roof are OK

Overall, it's a fabulous toy and I'm sad that it's apparently for the chop in the next year or so.

Mercedes SLC Roadster Could Soon Be Scrapped
The SLK/SLC is almost unique in that it can be a lot of fun with the top down on the twisty stuff and yet be smooth and refined with the tin roof closed cruising down the motorway. It has real class and doesn't look out of place anywhere whether you're in jeans or a suit. Excellent car. May get another one in the future, though I'm enjoying the MX-5 right now. I hope they carry on building them, but would understand why they might not.

Mine goes in next week for the 'roof leak' to be cured, seems to be leaking where the glass 'pano' roof seals against the metal frame - rubber seals round the whole roof are OK
That's what was done to mine, they mastic around the 4 corners.

It still leaks a little in the car wash but heavy rain has not penetrated since.

I was shocked in the Spring, neither of us had used the car for a few weeks and the seats were covered in white mould, the car absolutely stank and the carpet was soaked.

The dealer denied a warranty claim as roof seals are not covered, they actually are but the service woman still wouldn't admit it.
We did have to pay for the mastic sealing when the new seals made no difference but the dealer contributed towards this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom