Are all Becker Map Pilot's the same?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kilham5

Car
C220 Sport Estate
Just replace my 2010 W204 Sport estate with a new facelift Sport estate.
Was pondering a new W205, but at the price for the old model it would have been rude not to.

It has the slot for the Becker map pilot.

Questions:
1. Is it any good? worth getting?
I don't use them that often, and I have a perfectly adequate TomTom for occasional use.

2. Are they all the same? 4GB, 8GB so what, do they all fit and do they all work?

3. If I bought one on fleabay, can I register and update maps etc?

4. Is the safety camera database download any good?

Any other useful tips would be appreciated

Regards

Hello

Is the Becker so bad, no one bothers
Or is this on the wrong forum?

I thought the new W205 used a Garmin system?
The Becker map pilot is fine. It's main advantage is its integrated into the cars media and diplay system. It's main disadvantage is it has infrequent updates so can be slightly out of date for some areas. Buying on amazon or Ebay means you get a fully functional unit with free registration updates etc [ time limited] so no disadvantage. Early units were 4GB but all new ones are 8GB.

Last edited:
The Becker is the worst satnav I have encountered.

You MUST ensure you buy the 8gb version or you will not be able to put all your maps on.
The thing was built for the German market, and then translated into english, but without caring about the pronunciation, so if the device is reading out road names etc you will suffer a considerable amount of errors. Some times funny but mostly just bloody annoying.

Using the thing there are rather a lot of errors (around SE London) where the road layout has changed but the mapping has not been properly checked. You will notice this where the map warns you to turn one way, in a certain distance ahead, then the road turns the other way because the road layout changed some 10 - 15 years ago. Becker have managed to put in the turn left (or right) correctly, but they failed on the advanced warnings.

Driving abroad you must ensure that you put in the full complete name of the road or town written in full, You will really notice this in France! If you don't get it right the thing will not work at all, but without warning...

Another thing Becker are very bad at sending you down roads which (don't) lead into supermarkets, only the road has changed but not Becker.

They are also far too expensive compared with a proper satnav like TomTom or Garmin. And only one alternative voice, which is something stupid and 'comedic'.

Mine fails to start up (maybe) every tenth time, in winter when it is cold, they should have made the connectors properly too...

P.

Mmmm

Cheers guys

Have 4Gb one for three years and it is fine. Don't need European maps so no problem. It has very rarely gone wrong and I rely on it all the time

Very happy with mine, 8Gb one. Maps are clear, and I like how it's all integrated as opposed to having something stuck to your windscreen or hanging on off a bracket with unsightly wires sticking out of it.

My son is using the latest 8gb version with no issues so far. Using the PC interface, it is easy to remove regions/countries that you don't want (can be reinstalled later) which frees up space.
It is a different interface than Garmin, TomTom etc but it seems to work well and it is handy having it on the central screen, he says.
Got his via Amazon with next day delivery for £200 less than the dealer.

Great

Just bought one off ebay for £130

Providing it at least works, don't mind if it is a bit flaky.

Not intending using outside UK so don't mind if it turns out to be a 4Gb

Thanks for the comments

Well £130 Becker Map Pilot arrived off ebay.

8Gb, works perfect, updated to latest firmware faultlessly, job done.

Yes interface is not as clean as a TomTom, and less adjustability.
But it does the job, in an integrated kind of way.
Can't believe the voice activation even works more often than not.

£130 well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom