Are any of your former cars still alive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Do you know the whereabouts of, or what happened to any of your previously owned cars?

I've had a look on the MOT history page LINK and entered some of my former reg numbers.

The oldest of my previously owned cars that is apparently still breathing is my 1988 Sierra estate, F217 RRE.
I sold it to a family friend in around 1994/95.

What have you?

Last edited:
My son in law still uses my 2/2/02 reg Rover 75 for his daily 40 mile round trip commute. Currently on 271k + miles

My previous car 2006 Mondeo and my wife's previous car 2004 Rav4 both alive and kicking.

Looks like my previous E500 changed hands last summer.

Both of my C43's seem to be in some sort of semi-retirement doing 1,000-1,500 miles a year. Both having had some serious rust on the underside at various points in the last decade. I presume the estate one had a full bare metal respray at some point because it wouldn't have lasted this long without that.

Presumably, they're made it through the dodgy middle-aged period and are being cherished now as values begin to climb.

The car I had before my first C43, a modded Nissan 200SX (S14a) died quite a few years ago. Or was turned into a drifter.

That takes me back to around 1996 and I can't remember any reg nums before that.

Anyway, of the four cars I owned over that 21 year period, three survive and they're all Mercs. Despite the rust woes of the 202's. Says something.

The only thing I can find about my previous is my Hyundai Lantra sold in 2004, whose MOT expired in 2008 all the other records come up blank so presumably gone to that big scrapheap in the sky

Found my old 986 on eBay the other day, great fun car but cost me the same in maintenance as it cost to buy the car and I only had it a year

I also had an old 190e that I sold several years ago. She’s still MOTD and on the toad, was immaculate inside but the paintwork look liked someone had washed it with a Brillo pad close up. 513E4C22-D858-4939-BDE7-B3598BB986C7.png

My 1989 190e is still on the road but it must have had some structural repairs judging from the MOT history. It was getting in a bad way when I sold it 5 years ago.

My old C270cdi is still running, though it hasn't passed an MoT first time since I px'd it. Now on 215k miles..

Do you know the whereabouts of, or what happened to any of your previously owned cars?

I've had a look on the MOT history page LINK and entered some of my former reg numbers.

The oldest of my previously owned cars that is apparently still breathing is my 1988 Sierra estate, F217 RRE.
I sold it to a family friend in around 1994/95.

What have you?
My first car is either a goner, or has a personalised registration number. However in 1995 my second car was a then-new Vauxhall Corsa SRi 16v, which I sold in 1997. The MOT expired in March 2018, so it’s not looking good for that either.

Unfortunately a combination of terrible memory and using personalised registration numbers mean that I can‘t really remember registration numbers of previous cars. Sad really.

My 1966 Triumph Herald Convertible which I sold about 20 years ago as a restoration project, body of the chassis when sold, has an MOT until September 2020.

Reactions: 190
There is only one of our old cars that might still be around. A 1981 MGB LE Roadster. Last taxed and MOTd a couple of years ago. It was a truly terrible car even when we had it when it was new. First name terms with the recovery drivers! The others are all long since dead, possibly a result of keeping them ourselves a very long time. Current fleet is 17 years, 15 years - both bought new - and 25 years old which we acquired 11 years ago.

Most of my 16 previous cars appear to be untaxed / MOT expired.

Only the e36 328i Sport is SORN and I knew my old E36 M3 was with a racing team in West Sussex I think (could be dead or alive now) and my last two Mercs are still going I believe.

Can't check my E55 as it seems the Reg has been changed.
My last E280 was still running until the MOT expired in Feb 2020
Previous one scrapped
I have difficulty in remembering a lot of the Reg marks so without photos I have no idea.

Well, I actually sat down and compiled a list of cars I've owned over the last 25 years (as far back as I can remember). I was surprised to find there was 20 on the list - more than I thought. The totals are as follows:

No record (presume scrapped) 4
Exported 2 (I know this, it's not on the website)
MOT expired 6
MOT'd/not due 8

Some snippets:

Highest mileage: Citroen ZX 210669, last on the road in 2006. Non-turbo diesel, a terrible car but I was skint as I'd just bought a house and it was £500.
Oldest still going: 1993 Fiat Panda, still only got 37K on the clock. It had about 25K when I sold it in 2011. I loved that little car and nearly bought it back a couple of years ago. Glad to see it's still going.
Most of the same type: Subaru Impreza Turbo, 3 (only 1's still going). In fact, the only car I've ever bought more than one of. Love 'em.

Cheers,

Gaz

My old mini copper s (reg Number SAC 608G) is still going...when I had it in 1976..... It was white with a black roof...sliding widows twin tanks etc a genuine 1275 cooper S proper old school...its now blue and somehow has only under 10k miles...must have been rebuilt

Too many to remember but those I do seem mostly to still be on the road.

As a side issue - and because it’s a Sunday night and I can’t ask until tomorrow - I sold an ML about 4/5 year ago to a friend of a friend that had a private plate on that I wanted to keep, this - for multiple different reasons - didn’t happen then the last I heard he’d fell on hard times and had the car taken off him for either no insurance or tax or something like that; does anyone know who I’d see to get it back or have I got next to no chance? It’s showing as no MOT or tax since 2016?

Too many to remember but those I do seem mostly to still be on the road.

As a side issue - and because it’s a Sunday night and I can’t ask until tomorrow - I sold an ML about 4/5 year ago to a friend of a friend that had a private plate on that I wanted to keep, this - for multiple different reasons - didn’t happen then the last I heard he’d fell on hard times and had the car taken off him for either no insurance or tax or something like that; does anyone know who I’d see to get it back or have I got next to no chance? It’s showing as no MOT or tax since 2016?

If the cops uplifted it due to no insurance etc then I'm sure the owner has 7 days to produce or it gets crushed. Not sure if still the case or if they go to police auctions?

If the cops uplifted it due to no insurance etc then I'm sure the owner has 7 days to produce or it gets crushed. Not sure if still the case or if they go to police auctions?
It’s possible I can find which police county took it so I’ll try chasing that route I think.

There's a pre facelift W124 260TE that my father owned but as he can't remember the reg is there any way of using the owners name to find out it's current state?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom