Are C55's supposed to be this noisy on cold startup?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grovsie31

Car
2009 335i DCT
Ive read a lot about cold start whining noise, which mine has, but it doesn't seem normal to me.

First vid is from cold start, second vid is warmed up after 40 min drive.

View My Video

View My Video

Last edited:
I don't recall mine being that whiny on start up, but then I was sitting in it at the time. 2nd video sounds ok.

The AC compressors tend to whine when they are warm.

Take the belt off and start it.

Ok thanks, after looking this morning, it seems most make the same noise. Ah well its going to the garage I got it from in the morning just to check, see what he says.....

The best videos are ...when the camera does not move.

Just saying.

I would say perfectly normal - bearing in mind with bonnet shut that noise will be muted quite substantially

Mine whines for about ten seconds when I first start it, but it quickly fades away. I was worried, and took the drivebelt off and it disappears, so definitely on the ancilliary drive. It sounds like the nearside of the bay, so is either the power steering pump or the AC compressor. I put the belt back on and haven't worried about it. It hasn't got any worse during my ownership. If it does I might investigate further.

all the same, mine dose this also... only last around 10/15 seconds -

Cheers guys, yeh it would seem they all do it, plenty on you tube making the same noise. Shame because it ruins the cold start of the V8, hehe.

Grovsie31 said:
Cheers guys, yeh it would seem they all do it, plenty on you tube making the same noise. Shame because it ruins the cold start of the V8, hehe.

De-cat it. The exhaust note will take over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom