Are early MLs a disaster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oli

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
I'm posting this for a friend who's wanting to buy an ML, his budget is £3500 give or take and he wants a diesel so it will leave it being a higher mileage one, I've always heard they have a few problems but if it's serviced regularly and hasn't rusted away are they more or less ok?, anything specific to look out for on them?, lastly I think some were built in the US which arn't as good and some were built in Germany, is there any easy way to tell where they are built?.

Not a complete disaster... but will be costly to run and fix these days. I'd go Japanese for that budget. When I sold my 2000 ML320 six years ago it already has rust on the front wings and the suspension was tired at 80k.

Eyes wide open I'm afraid.

mmm, early examples were not up to scratch generally - although plenty on here have had good experiences with them, the facelifted (post 2001) versions are a better bet - still plenty to watch out for. Heavy car punished the ball joints and tyres for example.

I'd go for a more reliable workhorse from Japan at that money too.

I think a Japanese 4x4 would probably be a better bet too, just I think he liked the look of the ML more which I can understand as it does look more modern than other 4x4s of the era, I did think of getting one myself a while back but thought better of it plus their hardly economical on diesel, I will advise him something like a LandCruiser would be his best bet.

For that money he could get a fantastic Musso, with the merc 2.9 engine (or turbo option). Good value for money and come with the fancy interior, CC, AC etc

For that money he could get a fantastic Musso, with the merc 2.9 engine (or turbo option). Good value for money and come with the fancy interior, CC, AC etc

But he'd be driving around in a Ssangyong and would feel a bit of a Gareth Hunt.

We Hired a Ssangyong whilst in Malta and it was awful to drive everything was cheap and plasticy. My wife who does not normally comment on cars (except for their colour) even said what a horrible uncomfortable car. Not somthing I would consider buying.But thats only my opinion :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom