Are either of these number plates legal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

I need a new pair of plates due to water damage maning them look a bit naff..

The sellers claim the 3D ones (not rasied) are legal.

Are these legal and due I need the stupid euro badge?

3dplate2.jpg

3drasied.jpg

Yes, the 3D non-raised ones are legal. Go into you local Halfords and you will see them for sale. And no you don't need the euro badge if you don't want it.

I have some pressed metal plates on my car. They look quite nice I think. Worth a thought.

Pressed metal plates are not legal although IMHO they should be! Howcome the rest of Europe gets away with them?

Reflectivity is the issue I think.

I never realised they were not legal. Me bad. The fonts, spacing and colour all look legal.
As you say Shude, I guess they are not reflective. I've never thought of that before.

pressed metal plates ARE legal i bought some off ebay came with bs no and a document guaranting they are road legal

Very simply, you can't buy road-legal plates in England without showing the supplier original documents proving (a) your identity and (b) your entitlement to the registration.

How to get a number plate made up : Directgov - Motoring

Without those basic checks you can ask for plates showing any registration you like. All suppliers of legal plates are registered - you can check by company name here:

Search register of number plate suppliers by town or post code.

Plenty of websites in Ireland making any plates you like - some 20 font styles available and only one is called 'UK Legal' :eek: - next day delivery to UK by post, no questions asked (other than your credit card details and delivery address of course).

Last edited:
the ones i bought are pressed metal with the reflective background glued onto the metal plate only the numbers and letters are pressed

As I understand it as long as the text looks solid and black from 20m and is the prescribed typeface and spacings it'll pass an MOT. No background is acceptable. If the plate was produced in the UK it must have the identity (usually the postcode) of the plate maker.

The second plate in that picture isn't legal - there's a limited number of things you can have in the country bar on the side... and a merc badge on carbon isnt :p

Yes - I think you can have England / Welsh / Scottish flags (e.g. St. George) or UK (Union Jack) or bugger all and not a lot else.

I'm not after any merc badge / GB / euro flag or anything....Just the front and rear plate.

So are pressed ones legal? anyone a picture of theirs?

The 'standard' 3D ones look to be ok as these are available at halfords.

I do quite like the 3D raised ones but I guess these are not legal.

I will read BTB500's links

^ I bought a UK front holder and found a UK rear panal at a breakers for my Eunos roadster looks 100% better imho :)

Thanks though, and your right its not the best picture

But I get the idea :)

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom