Are Hybrids Over-hyped?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hawk20

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
ARE HYBRIDS OVER-HYPED?

There is an interesting review of the LexusLS600h L in the New York Times. Not only is it not as fast as the 460 straight petrol model but it is not really any better on economy. Set me wondering if this hybrid hype is being greatly overdone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/au...ws/15AUTO.html

Amongst other comments I liked this one: -

For more than a year, Lexus has suggested that the LS 600h L — as tested, a $121,000 hybrid version of its LS 460 L flagship sedan — would set a new standard for four-door luxury automobiles. Its pitch was that the car would perform like a V-12 super-sedan while whipping V-8 rivals on fuel economy. Instead, the hybrid may have set a new standard for automotive hyperbole.
Behind its green Teflon shield, the Lexus proved to be just another overstuffed sedan that can barely top 20 miles a gallon — less, if you actually tap into all that power. If that’s saving the planet, Jor-El had better prepare the escape pod before it’s too late.
Before the enviro-brigade readies the guillotine, I hasten to add that this isn’t about hating hybrids. Electric propulsion is looking more and more like a winning technology. Companies from Toyota to General Motors are working to develop affordable lithium-ion batteries, which could deliver clean, efficient, renewable power in plug-in hybrids or purely electric vehicles.
I can’t believe that adding a cupful of electric juice to a fat barrel of V-8 muscle is what environmentalists have in mind.
On the performance front, forget about the Lexus hanging with V-12 sedans like the Mercedes S600. Turns out that the Lexus can’t even outrun its own non-hybrid version, the LS 460 L.

They will not have to pay congestion charge as well. What injustice, whereas a diesel lupo has to.
I think the best will be to attach a little AAA battery to the engine of your ML and you can call it an electric hybrid so exempt from charges.

I think they are overhyped for their current purpose / capabilities - but often overlooked is the 'development aspect'. i.e. the early adoptors of these cars are helping the manufacturers test and develop their future products. They're effectively buying long term test mules.

I think in 10 years time (possibly less) they will be a real, viable and economic prospect.

Although the person who started putting 'environmentally friendly' hybrid engines in large 4x4/saloons etc with relatively large engines has a wicked sense of humour.

I think this is where physics and politics collide.
I have great respect for a bloke called Newton and his laws of motion. I never managed to prove him wrong in all my automotive development.
If we want cars to use less energy they must be lighter and maybe have really appalling brakes so we can not turn our momentum into heat so easily.
This, of course, does not sit well with legistation (and our own) demands for increased safety. The current Golf for examlpe is twice as heavy and twice as powerfull as the original, but safer. Technology has made it almost as economical, but I can't believe that producing twice as much car can be see a green. The same argument applies to hybrids. Which lobby will shout loudest, saftey or greens?:devil:

Definitely overhyped.

There was an interesting article in the Saturday Telegraph Motoring section a few weeks back which exposed them for what they are. Made very good reading.

Also an engineer guy wrote in and worked out how much power those little G-(s)Wizzz electric cars use. (Bear in mind they only go for 40 miles at 35 mph max!). He worked it out that the power they use having charged up overnight is the equivalent of circa 117gCO2/km. - i.e. worse than many small diesels that are infiniteky more practicle and don't fold up like paper in a crash!

But still the fashion victims buy them!!

Definitely overhyped.

There was an interesting article in the Saturday Telegraph Motoring section a few weeks back which exposed them for what they are. Made very good reading.

Also an engineer guy wrote in and worked out how much power those little G-(s)Wizzz electric cars use. (Bear in mind they only go for 40 miles at 35 mph max!). He worked it out that the power they use having charged up overnight is the equivalent of circa 117gCO2/km. - i.e. worse than many small diesels that are infiniteky more practicle and don't fold up like paper in a crash!

But still the fashion victims buy them!!

Hard to see how the public can ever get really informed when there are no serious motoring programmes on TV. Apart from on forums like this, the many interesting topics around motoring, and the future ways forward for cars, get very litle airing.

But every argument for is currently based on the Government revenue generation formula

carbon = bad = tax

Doesn't make any sense to give releif for vehicles which in their whole life cycle generate more polution than conventional ones , and also contain vastly more harder to get rid of polutants in their battery technology.

Unless of course it is a way to make everybody else pay more tax because we are dirty........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom