Are Ipod's / iPhones banned on the 2012 B Class ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AJKOK1

Car
Mercedes B200
Hi folks, i am hoping for some advice ( or clarification if i am bing a numpty :doh: :)

Our car is a new 2012 Mercedes B200 D delivered July 2012.

The vehicle is fitted with the new Media Interface. It was unable to recognise our existing iPod Touch ( 4 gb gen 2) , or iPhone 16Gb 4S, and after suggestions by our dealer that it may have been an issue with the wiring in the car, it has now been suggested that the system is only compatible with larger capacity iPod devices.

At their recommendation, we have purchased a new iPod Nano ( generation 6) with 16 GB capacity.

We have checked the compatibility list published by Mercedes, at Mercedes-Benz Bluetooth Connectivity (it lists models for the media interface as well as the bluetooth compatibility) which lists device compatibility for all features, and it confirms it now needs the higher capacity versions for most models. Anyway for the iPod Nano it requires :

A 16Gb iPod Nano 6th Generation, running firmware version 1.2 and using accessory cable A002872104. We can confirm this is the exact specification we have.

On connecting the iPod to the Media interface ( RHS Driver) connector in the centre glovebox, using the one of three supplied cables, the system advises the device is not compatible and to connect to the left hand side regular USB socket. Connecting on this side advises the device is not compatible.

We have tried using a range of iPod devices we have at home ( nano, Touch and iPhone) that worked on our previous (2009) mercedes B class, but all are deemed incompatible (although as most are the smaller capacity models) none match the new requirements published by Mercedes. (Amazingly my wifes new iPhone 4S 16gb is not sufficient specification to connect to her new car, yet on our previous B class, a humble Gen 2 iPod nano worked fine).

There clearly is an issue here, as a customer we should not be left to attempt to resolve this ourselves. The garage seem to be lacking in any ideas, and i can't believe that somehow Mercedes have gone backwards and ceased supporting most of the mainstream iPod and iPhone models. A 16GB iPhone 4S isn't acceptable ? ( I don't want to purchase a 64Gb version just to find out like the iPod nano advice, it too doesn't work).

Having purchased a brand new B Class I believe we are justified in expecting our dealership to be able to advise and assist in ensuring we are able to use the features we purchased with the car, ( a £ 2,100 option for command online with media interface)...so far all they have advised was to buy a new iPod, stupidly we did, and it still doesn't work.

I would appreciate anyones advice on things we could check, or to politely point out what we are doing wrong !!

Last edited:
Something wrong on several levels here.

I am not familiar with your car but I have not heard of Apple Devices being shut out of Mercs. I would also doubt that they could be. Why would they want to do this.

Bigger and more importantly. Your dealer should be doing all they can to help you out with this. Tell them that you are not at all happy and want help. If you have complied with the instructions in your book and now bought a new device with no result they should be bending over backwards to help you out.

Who is your dealer?

Where are you?

If within sensible distance of Lightwater (near Woking) in Surrey I'd recommend giving Comand (sponsors here) a call, they of all people should be able to help.

The system is simply faulty.

Take it back and get them to sort it out.

Thanks for the feedback folks. Mercedes publish a list of Apple devices supported by the latest system, disappointingly it is basically the largest capacity offering for each model ( so allegedly only the 16gb Nano, the 32gb iPhone, etc). So i'm fairly confident they do support the iOS devices. I say allegedly, as it doesn't work with the 16gb Nano either.

Clearly in our case, it wouldn't work with the older iPOD, we've gone out and got the latest one and still no joy. ( my wife was in the dealership and they didn't seem to have any ideas....apparently none were familiar with the latest system.

Initially they said it was probably a problem with the witring in the car, we waited a couple of weeks for that, then they advised, no, you just need a better model iPod.

I will certainly speak to Command, can't believe nobody else has encountered the same issue.

thanks again for your suggestions.

Last edited:
We are based in Peterborough. The manual has a section for the media interface and i am sure we are doing exactly as advised ( to be honest little scope for idiot factor)...connect iPod to supplied Media interface cable that has ipod connector on it, plug it in and on the system, select your input ( DVD, USB, Media Interface etc).

Al.

Take it back and get them to demonstrate that it works with an appropriate apple device.

I can't see how the storage capacity of a device can make a difference, version i do understand.

Have you used the proper Mercedes cable?

Can your iPhone 16Gb 4S phone connect via Bluetooth? May be irrelevant but worth a try as temporary work around?

gbjeppm's idea is a good one.:thumb:

Yes, the car came with a set of 3 cables ( one for iPod, one for a USB vable and one for headphone type jack). the ipod connector cable has a serial number on it that matches the one listed by Mercedes as needed.

iPhone can connect on Bluetooth, but of course won't then charge and offers less functionality.

According the MB website for the media interface supported devices, it works with a 16GB Iphone 3S, but for a 4S, the minimum is 32Gb, similarly works on a 4gb nano from Gen 4...but for latest one needs 16Gb. Can't see any logic as to why ?

Can't believe the capacity should have anything to do with compatibility.

According the MB website for the media interface supported devices, it works with a 16GB Iphone 3S, but for a 4S, the minimum is 32Gb, similarly works on a 4gb nano from Gen 4...but for latest one needs 16Gb. Can't see any logic as to why ?

Link??

I just don't believe the size difference would make a difference.

The error you describe is the one I got when I used the wrong cable with my iPod. I dont think size will make a difference as it will interface the same just not have as many tracks. I use a very old iPod classic with my 2012 C350 and just plugged it in, select media interface from the audio menu and thats it. I would insist they get it working and not have you doing the leg work.

old cable

I know this is a late posting to this thread but I have had the same issue and thought what we found could help others in a similar situation. Our Iphone 4s and Ipod worked fine with the cables provided by mercedes in our 2009 e class however when moving to our 2012 m class they appeared as incompatible with the cables that came with the new car. Luckily we kept the cables from the e class and this seems to work on our Iphone/Ipod in the m class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom