Are Kleemann tuning boxes any good

Discussion in 'Engine' started by MarriedBlonde, Mar 7, 2011.

1. MarriedBlonde

MarriedBlonde Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 AMG Coupe/ML350 Cdi Sport/69 vw Bus
    As the title, thinking of getting a tuning box for my 350 cdi, the Kleemann one seems quite reasonably priced.

Has anyone used one? If so can they comment?

I would normally go for a proper remap but cars new and I dont like the thought of the ECU being butchered.

Thanks,

J.

2. Dr-Nab

Dr-Nab Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    B8.5 S5 Coupe 430hp/520nm
    They do give pretty good gains from what I've heard from people who've gone down that route very similar to the figures quoted for Brabus but it's a plug in box in the same way that the Brabus D6 box plugs in so your dealer will know it's been fitted and will void your warranty engine wise.

I looked in to it but didn't want to lose the warranty so forking out for the Brabus box.

3. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    What about taking the box off before it goes to the dealer :doh: then no one is any wiser :thumb:

Most high end boxes all come from the same German supplier as does one UK box so it's £999 for the Brabus Box or £375 for the UK box only difference is warranty with the Brabus box

4. d w124

d w124 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    w124 3.6AMG styling E320 S124 Lorinser styling
    Talk to Acid (brabusk8) member here as he does both Kleemann & Brabus

5. OP
    OP
    MarriedBlonde

MarriedBlonde Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 AMG Coupe/ML350 Cdi Sport/69 vw Bus
    Is the kleemann considered high end? I am struggling to get anydecent reviews on them!

J.

6. Dr-Nab

Car:
    Having looked at the wiring guide/diagram for a D6(III) kit I'd rather not have the hassle of taking it out and putting it back in every time.

Plus on mine there are no boxes available at the minute Brabus are still testing it so wouldn't trust anything else at the minute, just have to wait which is a tad frustrating!

7. euler

euler Member

Why is your 350cdi special? Brabus has a kit D6 for the 350cdi and 300cdi of 231ps and a kit D6S for the 350cdi of 265ps... Why can't you find a kit for your 350cdi? Is your coupe the 350cdi of 265ps?....

There are many good kits in the market for the 350cdi for those who don't care with warranty. Nowadays even the chepear Racechip and Tuningkit offer a kit that connects to rail and booster, providing more gains. DTUK offers a similar kit. Speedbuster, DTE Systems and TMC motorsport offer a kit with another connection to the rpm sensor. The TMC is indeed the Speedbuster kit but at a nicer price. Some of these brands offers TUV certification as Kleemann offers, but the KD.box only connects to rail...
    My choice would be the Racechip or Tuningkit because that's a fair price and because i know that they tested their kit specifically on the Mercedes Blue Efficiency...
    Racechip:230 euros
    Tuningkit:200 euros
    TMC: 290£
    DTUK: 350£
    Diesel Power: 550 euros
    SpeedBuster: 700 euros
    DTE Systems: 750 euros
    Kitpower: 750 euros
    Tuningbox: 750 euros
    Ptronic: 850 euros
    KWSystems: 900 euros

Ptronic and KW-Systems connects directly to injectors...
    Brabus kit is the most complex kit because it connects to several sensors, but the D6S is simplier because it obtains info from CANbus, like the new kits from ABT or ACSchnitzer...
    Carlsson is anothe important name of MB tuning and i think their kit connects directly to injectors...

8. Dr-Nab

Car:

It's not a 265ps model no, it's the 231ps.. but there are different versions of the 231ps OM642 engine, mine is the newer one with a different management system so the kit that exists for the 231ps which you'll see on the Brabus website isn't compatible.

There are two kits on the internal MB parts list according to my service manager but the one they ordered for my car - the new kit, hasn't finished testing yet so isn't available. They ordered the new kit and got sent the old kit - since it was the only one there, tried to fit it and couldn't after enquiring why a guy from MB head office at Milton Keynes told them that they would have a job fitting it since it's not been released yet and he's not finished making the wiring diagrams for fitting, this was confirmed a few days later by Brabus - all of this I was told yesterday when I went to book my car in for some other bits I want doing.

Since the issues with the Brabus kit on my car the other (newer) D6 (III) box for the 231ps engine has been removed for ordering on the internal parts list and will only be available once Brabus release it to the dealerships.

The warranty is VERY important to me considering my car is brand new and given that other people have had issues with their engines/injectors etc I don't want to do something for MB to turn around and say no getting things repaired.

2 people like this.
  9. euler

euler Member

Ok:) I think you will receive a kit of the new generation! These connect to CANbus to receive a lot of information so the tuning is more safe. See the flyer of the D6S...