Are MLs that bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AdamBoyse

Car
Defected to Porsche but still love mercs. Last car W202, C200 sport.
It's about time for me to change my C200. Because of all the kid's junk and numerous times when I need to shift lots of gear around I've been looking at getting a larger car.

I'm not an estate person so another option would be an ML.

I've been on this forum for a few years now and whenever the ML is mentioned it's often followed by comments about quality problems.
Also, from reading the honestjohn website it seems that he agrees with talk of poor build quality.

I've been really happy with my C class, it's run perfectly from new and it's certainly made me feel good about the Merc brand.

Are there any ML drivers out there who can give me a true opinion? Is it that bad?

Thanks!

I know nothing about ML's, but your question will probably give you the response you are not looking for. Those who have ML's that have given little or no problems will say they are the best thing since sliced bread. Those who have had problems will give the opposite, leaving you in the same position as you are now. If it were me, I would look at buying an ML, but only with full service history, which I know can be doctored with items left out etc, but you can then contact the dealer who carried out the servicing and ask them. Hope this helps, best of luck in your searching.

I've had my ML 270 cdi now for 2 years and its ok. but only OK. I like it because it is very versatile and allows my wife to drive confidently if she has to go out in snowfall. as it never goes off road those capabilities have never been put to the test. The build quality is not very good compaerd to other Mercs mainly due its american origins and especially the pre facelift ones. The facelift are better but still very plasticy inside. Trim can break /fall off . AS long as you have a ful service history and at least 1 year dealer waranty if buying a used car you should be ok. I'd avoid high mileage ones as well. We are going to keep ours another year or two as its just 3 years old and on 34k miles - but I wouldnt buy another - I do like to change and 3-4 years is a long time for me to keep a car . hope this helps.

Mine was awful, build quality was terrible, handled like a barge in a storm, problems electrics, wear and tear that wasn't in line with a 42k vehicle and certainly not a Mercedes. Having said that it did swallow lots of kids stuff, it was comfortable (only so long as you drove it slowly!) and did give a good view of the road. Having just had a ride in an X5 this weekend I now realise how poor the ML really is.

I know you said you didn't like estates, to me the best option would be an estate rather than a 4wd.

Why not wait for the new B class which is supposed to have all the quality issues sorted in Mercedes drive to get their famed quality back. Then you get one of the first ones and be the first to Mod it!

Or buy a new X5, run it for a year then sell it for more that it cost ;)

or is that an R class?? Smaller one is a B class

Dont know what people on here think of BMW's (i.e. what Ford drivers think about vauxhall's) but the X5 if definitely a better machine in my view.

Old post about MLs

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7276&highlight=ml430

Before buying the ML I tested a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a couple of X5s all 2nd hand.

The X5s drive amazingly, great interior, but expensive, ride is really stiff , the rear seats are a little small and the boot too is about 1/2 the size of ML and Jeep.

As above I would consider an E class/5 series estate due to the handling and comfort.

liammc said:
Dont know what people on here think of BMW's (i.e. what Ford drivers think about vauxhall's) but the X5 if definitely a better machine in my view.

We looked at the ML and had a demonstrator for a week. My wife was very surprised and disappointed) at the LACK of room. There is very little room in the rear (we have a soppy German Shepherd) and only adequate room for rear seat passengers. (our two teenage children are on the 'tall side') No doubt it is perfectly acceptable for the average height person. If you are intent on buying an ML, please make sure to have a practical test drive of one. Think what you plan to carry and where you would stow everything.

The latest X5 with the 3.0 diesel is an excellent combination and I hate to say it, "in my opinion a better choice" :(

Sorry to appear slightly negative, but good luck with your choice. (I have made no comment on what you have "ruled out" ;)

Regards,
John

Test drove an M class for a while and like others here not that impressed. It is not a bad vehicle, but it terms of drive, fit, finish & general feelgood factor it left me flat which was NBG as I intended to keep it for some time.

So I bought an E320 Cdi Class Estate (S211 model) and that is great. Very different car of course, but it absolutely knocks spots off the M class in every way. Superb long distance load hauling machine.

But it is not a 4x4 and for local stuff we increasingly needed one for getting around on wet, muddy & unmade roads. Also a ford on one of our critical routes and that was not much fun last winter.

So after my wife got used to the fact that a RAV 4 would never be seen on the driveway, having trawled through the proper 4x4 market for that and nothing else and after more serious thought we had to reject the M Class. Again.

Not really a great deal of internal space for the size of vehicle, quite expensive and long term reliability worries. BMW X5 much too pretty, Lexus only came in petrol and Nissan/Mitsubushi's not up to scratch.

Ended up with a Toyota Land Cruiser. Certainly not a performance machine, circumspection required in terms of speed, corners, etc, design and construction cues taken from a brick outbuilding, will not appeal to all but a real decent sized tough 4x4, very comfortable, loads of room, reliable and the best all rounder.

Maybe the new M class will be better

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I'll get a test drive and perhaps start saving for the R Class!

Handy test info just follow links

X5
Interior
Front Head Room: 39.9 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 58 in.
Rear Head Room: 38.5 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 57.2 in.
Front Leg Room: 39.3 in.
Rear Leg Room: 35.4 in
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/bmw/x5/100344159/specs.html?tid=edmunds.n.review.review..5.BMW*
Boot space (min ltr) 465
Boot space (max ltr) 1550 (bmw figs)

ML
Front headroom 39.8 in/1,010 mm
Rear headroom 39.7 in/1,008 mm
Front legroom 40.3 in/1,024 mm
Rear legroom 38.0 in/966 mm
Front hiproom 55.0 in/1,398 mm
Rear hiproom 54.7 in/1,388 mm
Front shoulder room 58.2 in/1,478 mm
Rear shoulder room 57.8 in/1,468 mm
Cabin Capacity 146.0 cu ft/4,134 liters
34.7 cu ft/982 liters (2nd-row seats in use), 81.2 cu ft/2,300 liters (2nd-row seats lowered).
http://www.ml500.com/modules.php?name=M_Models

I had an '03 ML270cdi and only did 10,000 miles and kept it for 5 months, I really didn't like it, it felt like a transit van to drive.
If you need a practical vehicle to put the kids bikes in the back etc. then it is great but as others have said the X5 is a completely different beast.
There are also some stupid deals on X3s at the moment if you consider personal contract hire?
This morning I was offered a Brand new 2.5i sport auto, Tiatanium silver, black leather, steptronic, aluminium trim and running boards, professional radio and bluetooth for £399 a month, that is for 10k miles a year or add £15 a month for 15k miles a year.
That is with 3 months down then keep the car for 12, 24 or 36 months.
The X3 apparently has more boot space than the X5 too.

I bought a 6month old 03 ML270 last December, the ride was appalling. Bootlid opens just below head height = banged head every time. Paintwork dreadful, even though I spent £500 on the Starshield protection, it still looked like it had been polished with a "brillo pad" MB must be using poster paints now to cut even more costs ! Folding rear seats very fiddly to work out. Each time dog jumps in back = more damage to paint with claws.
Removeable towbar is £650 but cant use it without £17 EU to UK wiring adaptor. Panel fit poor, internal materials and trim look and feel cheap, interior squeeks, groans and chirps at you whilst driving. Heater will not work on cold mornings.
Eventually managed to get MB to buy it back but at trade price after 6months of ownership. I had been trying to get them to buy it back from my second month of owning it and had contacted them many times, neither MB direct nor their dealers were interested, they didnt bother returning my calls. It was only my persistance with their HO that they eventually agreed to make an offer for it.
Both myself and my wife have had various MBs since 1990 but its going to be a while until we buy another

Chrisk said:
I bought a 6month old 03 ML270 last December, the ride was appalling. Bootlid opens just below head height = banged head every time. Paintwork dreadful, even though I spent £500 on the Starshield protection, it still looked like it had been polished with a "brillo pad" MB must be using poster paints now to cut even more costs ! Folding rear seats very fiddly to work out. Each time dog jumps in back = more damage to paint with claws.
Removeable towbar is £650 but cant use it without £17 EU to UK wiring adaptor. Panel fit poor, internal materials and trim look and feel cheap, interior squeeks, groans and chirps at you whilst driving. Heater will not work on cold mornings.

Okay, BUT what did you REALLY think about it. :rolleyes: ;) ;) :D

It's sad that here on a Mercedes-Benz forum there are so many complaints about this particular range/model. Some members, myself included would recommend the X5 rather than the ML.

Regards,
John

I have an ML and its good. Build quality is good, no problems so far. Of course it doesnt handle like a car but it is safe to drive, swallows loads of luggage and people. It does its job very very well. Dont listen to those on this forum who harp on about banning 4x4's. Get the tool to do the job.

Good luck.

Alfie said:
I have an ML and its good. Build quality is good, no problems so far. .

:) :) You always get one!!! :)

Nice to hear about your experience. I note in your signature you state your ML is a 320AMG. I don't doubt you for an instant, but I thought our neighbours was an ML55AMG. Did they make two AMG's?

They no longer offer the AMG in ML spec.

Regards,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom