Are modern (late 90s/early 00s) performance MB/AMG vehicles distinctly unique?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
Without wanting to take anything away from these great cars, I wonder if they'll be future classics?

I guess I'm looking at the W202/208/210 AMGs mainly.

Only reason I wonder is that I ask myself what makes these cars notably different from the mainstream models - in terms of equipment, styling (exterior/interior) or technology?

I own a CLK55 and it's a great car to drive on decent roads - smooth, powerful, luxurious etc. But in terms of styling, if I'm honest it looks very similar to a facelift 208 CLK with AMG wheels (lots of them about :)) and is probably 80% similar to drive to a 430 V8 Avantgarde in the real world - auto gearbox, similar steering feel etc. Likewise, the same comparison could be made between a W210 E430 with AMG kit/wheels/nappa leather etc.

The C43 is obvously the only W202 with a V8 (bar the C55) and scores a few points there :thumb:

Going back to the 80s/early 90s there used to be a much greater divide between the regular MB models and the performance cars. Eg:

The 190E 2.3/2.5-16
The old-school AMG cars - eg the W124 'hammer'

Whereas the C43/CLK55/E55 used a slightly larger M113 that was already offered in the 208/210 and other MB production cars it was technically very similar and the power gains weren't huge. Eg the AMG 4.3 V8 was only around 10% more powerful than the standard 4.3 M113. Even the 5.4 litre AMG '55 engine is of broadly similar design and makes a similar hp/litre figure to the standard M113 V8.

Going back to the older cars, the engines were much more bepoke - eg the 2.3-16 had a unique cylinder head specifically designed for motorsport with twin camshafts, 16 valves and had a signifcant power increase - very different in character to the regular M102. And the AMG quad-cam V8 was again very much different in design and power output compared to the regular V8 engines.

Aside from the engine - cars like the 2.3-16 had many technological/design differences - eg, a limited slip differential, a Getrag manual transmission with a unique shift pattern and close ratio gears, an oil cooler, oil temperature gauge, less turns lock-to-lock on the steering box etc.

I can't help but think of my CLK55 as a posh CLK with a bit more power, it doesn't seem have that many unique components or major differences to the normal ones? :eek:

What I do think makes them a bit more special is that they only sold something like 200 of them during the production run in the UK. Was this due to availability or price/demand etc? Perhaps the regular models were sufficient for many people's needs?

Sorry if this sounds at all negative - it's not meant to be :doh: it's just me thinking aloud and wondering what makes these AMG models unique compared to the more mainstream models. I do love my CLK55 but I think of it as more of a modern/powerful 'GT cruiser' than a sporty/potential classic type car.

Discuss! :D

Will

Not negative at all Will.

Because of areodymanics and Euro Emmisions I understand why a lot of cars look alike, perform alike and a lot a styling has become samey with a hint of retro.

I'm not a new car buyer but what does pig me off is sales reps (whoops sorry, Key Account Managers) floating about in a brand new car which I could not afford. It brings it all home to me that a new C Class is used as a repmobile. Has it always been like this - I dont know is the answer to that.

I love my Mercs but do I aspire to anything beyond a 202. Nope. Is it because they are not "special" any more. Well - yes.

Something else aswell. I did go shopping for a new A Class when they first came out but was treated with complete distain by the sales staff. So that put me off for a while, TG I did not buy a new A Class when they first came out.

Would I love an AMG 202, darn tootin and they are in my price bracket at the mo. Would I love an AMG anything else. Nope. Oh an ML should my numbers come up on Saturday.

A well put together thread Will. I shall now sit back and prepare to be flamed.

But this is just my opinion.

Worth adding a poll to this thread maybe?

As mentioned in another thread the W202/208 make for great Q-cars. For me that's ideal, as I rather have technology under the skin than flares outside.

I will however say that often the interior of these cars also looks a bit mainstream and can lack that finishing touch to make the driver feel special. My experiences are limited to museum cars, so maybe my opinions are misplaced.

So AMG to me, simply means a high technology powertrain.

I'd like to see more weight saving within the body structure. I think this is done on the CLK Black, but AMG should be doing more across the range.

Whether it's just marketing, but I think Renault have been quite strong in this respect in recent years.

The CLK black actually weighs more than the normal CLK63 AMG!

Ah yes I now remember this being the case. But weight saving materials are still used I believe. Is the extra mass because of the powertrain or extra chassis stiffening?

These cars you just talked about Will, were the last ones hand made in Affalterbach in their entirety not like the new ones that only the engine is hand build. Different production line alltogether. That makes them special and of course with a good colour combination.

The new AMG cars though still comand a lot of respect. After the c63 and with the traction control off off they are highly respected in the BMW M forums. They are on the right track for improving even more. More driver focused increasingly. I know what you say about our cars but still fun to drive. They are distinguished though in their own subtle way. Me e240 for example is fully amg kitted from factory but a picture from behind next to my 55 you can see the difference. The 55 looks significantly wider. I am sure its not just the tyres and the bumper as the rear wings seem a touch wider. You know which one means business.

Will, in terms of your 'future classic' comment, I'll just say mine is insured as a 'modern classic'. Which surprised me as my feelings towards the model are similar.

Someone thinks it could be a classic though. Although that may apply to the whole range as far as that insurer is concerned :)

Will, in terms of your 'future classic' comment, I'll just say mine is insured as a 'modern classic'. Which surprised me as my feelings towards the model are similar.

Someone thinks it could be a classic though. Although that may apply to the whole range as far as that insurer is concerned :)

Likewise, I did this also when I bought my '55 last summer :)

But - I think 'classic' in terms of insurance could apply to any MB of a certain age or over - a CLK200 could probably be insured in this way.

Will

IMO the main problem with the modern car's is a cost aspect.

Although to me an AMG car is just a tuned Mercedes, the 16v was a homologation car, I guess the closest thing we had of late was the CLK GTR!

I guess a lack of motorsport heritage and the halo effect that confers may explain partially the lower classic potential. However, with the prolonged economic downturn, and ever stringent enviromental constraints, it wouldnt surprise me that these type of cars, big V8's in small cars, will become rarer and very much 'of their time'. Its hard to predict what people will feel nostalgic for in 10-20 years time, but maybe, just maybe, these cars will be it. For now however, they represent great value for money, a touch of the high-life for sub-modeo money.

Thing is - big V8s in small cars have been around for a while and still are.

AMG made the original hammer W124 :rock:, then we had the 500E/E500, the W210 E55, W211 E55, W211 E63 and now the current W212 E63.

W202 had the C43 (and uber-rare C55!), then the W203 C55 (and previous C32K six), now the W204 C63.

The CLK55 was the first of it's size as a performance V8 coupe (the 126/140/215 are much bigger?), but then the 209 CLK55 and then CLK63 emerged.

I guess I'm thinking - what makes the late 90s/early 00s examples better/significantly different to the ones that followed?

I'm obviously biased but I slightly prefer the body shape and interior of the 208 to the 209 models (IMHO later 209s are a bit nicer inside), but I don't think that's enough to make them uniquely appealing.

The motorsport heritage isn't just a tag :) - it's about developments that filter through to the production cars. If MB hadn't decided to make a motorsport W201, we'd never had got the 2.3-16 and all the technology/development that went into it :cool:

Like I said, not bashing these cars - they are great value for money and certainly nice cars regardless, but I'm just thinking aloud for how we'll look back at them in years to come.

Will

Surely any AMG W210/W202/W208 which is still around in 20 years that hasnt been killed by rust is a classic :D

Surely any AMG W210/W202/W208 which is still around in 20 years that hasnt been killed by rust is a classic :D

Mercedes certainly seem to agree, if my conversations about Goodwill are anything to go by. They're quite happy to stuff their museums with customer-donated examples but try and talk to them about some help keeping one of their halo products on the road after just 12 years...

As for the OP, yes, yes they are :D

Once upon a time a real AMG modified car was something truly special & rare; rarer (& probably more expensive for the full monty) than any Ferrari or Lambo or Porsche. Each one was unique, special ordered & built to the customer's specification, breathtakingly expensive & worth crossing the road to oggle & investigate.

Now? A bit commonplace, a bit ho-hum, a bit of a branding exercise that's lost so much of it's cache & 'specialness' through over exposure.

Once upon a time a real AMG modified car was something truly special & rare; rarer (& probably more expensive for the full monty) than any Ferrari or Lambo or Porsche. Each one was unique, special ordered & built to the customer's specification, breathtakingly expensive & worth crossing the road to oggle & investigate.

Now? A bit commonplace, a bit ho-hum, a bit of a branding exercise that's lost so much of it's cache & 'specialness' through over exposure.

How very dare you!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom