Are most road humps illegal ? ? ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They should make the area around EVERY school 15MPH with timed speed cameras.

Even at 3am on a Suday in August?

I do believe speed humps have there place (i.e. near schools etc), but it is just getting silly with them just being placed anywhere and everywhere when not necessery :dk:

I don't find the bumps themselves to be a problem , since my 'luxo-barge' can float over them at 30 mph without any I'll effect ( in fact it can straddle the speed cushion type without touching them ).

What annoys me is the people in front who needlessly slow almost to a standstill to negotiate these things : this is normally drivers of cheap 'pacific rim' automobiles which might fall apart at the slightest bump , or boy racers in souped-up abominations with thin rubber band tyres and one inch of ground clearance . If the road conditions permit , I usually pass them at 30 on the opposite side and give them a friendly 'toot' as I do so .

They put ridiculously sized speed bumps outside my street years ago in Newton Mearns, my integrale donned with Eibach suspension would scrape the undercarriage everytime going over one to my disgrace. They also put a bollard on the pavement so I couldn't avoid them at all. The Range Rovers and X5's just cruised over them.
I complained to my local councillor. Highlighted the point that it was fine if you have a car which can handle them. I was told they were designed for Lorries originally but they would not be removed.
I bought an ML500.
I now live in a rural country farming village so have no need for a 4x4!!!

I have driven across London today rather than my Norman synchronised 'darts' from the m25.

Astonished at how many speed bumps there were on main roads rather than back streets.

Dieselman likes speed humps. he collects photo's of them as well.

They are just a menace. and then you have idiots who swerve into you lane to avoid them.

I suspect Ambulance drivers love them too :doh:

A lot of speed humps in the UK are certainly illegal under the statutory instrument responsible for controlling their construction and deployment.

The Highways (Road Humps) Regulations, 1999 (Statutory Instrument 1999 No. 1025) are the current regulations setting out provisions for road humps in England and Wales. They allow local authorities to install humps (including speed cushions) on roads with a speed limit of 30 mph or less, without the need for special authorisation, provided the humps are between 25 and 100 mm high, at least 900 mm long in the direction of travel, and have no vertical face greater than 6 mm. These regulations also remove certain provisions for road humps within 20 mph zones.

You might find THIS a very interesting read on the subject as well as THIS

If they don't comply with the guidelines then politely point that out to your local council and await their response on why they think they do comply. Then it's down to you if you are prepared to go after the council in court which could be very costly if you lost which is what most councils actually rely on. If action is initiated against a council on a roads issue then in the majority of cases they settle out of court unless they are obviously in the right and the argument is petty.

1 speed hump versus car with with 5 people in newish passat in the rain at night on a blind corner doing 7 mph,speed hump won with result of £250 worth of damage to front suspension control arms,hump was also unmarked ie no white lines.

Dieselman likes speed humps. he collects photo's of them as well.

Who says I like them? As most people do, I loath them but would prefer the discussions on here to be at least factual, not just pathetic rants.

In London they're a nightmare. Add to that a lot have sunken (leading to odd exit angles) and you have to go over them a literally 2 or 3 mph or the front suspension will compress upon exit resulting in you dumping your front bumper onto the tarmac.

This is with standard suspension on the SL, and infact with standard suspension on my previous 3 BMW's.

They're way over the top and some councils are worse than others. Greenwich seem to be one of the worst with a ridiculous number. In most places in London now you find them on every side street. In short, a bloody nightmare. :wallbash:

Mind you, saves the Darwinism taking effect on the local hoodies so they can burn the city instead! :ban:

the crackerjacks use the main roads for racing and playing god i wouldnt mind but very many are a total liability make everyone drive a standard c180 w202 and you would half the road fatalitys as it has only the power of an egg whisk

ask clarkson

Incidentally... road humps work because they interfere with the car's springs at the right resonance for a certain speed. Drive over a hump either slower or faster than the resonance speed, and the car will stay composed... and yes it does work, but do not try this at home!

the crackerjacks use the main roads for racing and playing god i wouldnt mind but very many are a total liability make everyone drive a standard c180 w202 and you would half the road fatalitys as it has only the power of an egg whisk

ask clarkson

:D put a comma or full stop somewhere in that :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom