Are motor parts warranties passed on to a second owner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
My newly acquired MX5 has coilover suspension that is 6 months old, as fitted by the previous owner.

I noticed yesterday that there is quite a bit of rust on the spring adjustment thread.

So I contacted the previous owner who told me where he bought the parts from.

The reply from the trader was: The rust is only surface rust and will easily come off with a WD40 and a wire brush. Also that the warranty provided is only for the original buyer. The trader seems pleasant enough and has offered further help should I need it, but he's not offering me a replacement or to clean the parts himself, so I'm not sure what help he's really offering me.

Do I need to just take this on the chin and get cleaning or is there another course of action?

Thanks.

Photo of the rust:
Zi6_0180.JPG

Usually warranties and guarantees are for the original owner purchaser only.
If it is transferable, then this would be specified in the documentation quite clearly.
I think its going to be a case of take it on the chin.

its all in the small print. some of the warranties you buy will transfer if you follow the procedure the companies set out so worth asking the questions when you buy the car. Afraid I have learnt from bitter experience!

I doubt the warranty would transfer on parts bought, but irrespective, is rust even covered in the warranty?

It's looking like this will be another lesson learnt.

So next question, any top tips for cleaning the threads but leaving the suspension in situ?

WD40, Wire wool, coat with Dinitrol?

That's probably as good as anything as it will leave the threads operational, unlike paint which won't.

I'm not an expert but happen to be studying a law module for an exam. Maybe a law expert may be able to comment?

I think the manufacturer has a duty to look after the end user no matter who he/she is?

Case law: Donaghue vs Stephenson?

In other words, if the part became defective and injured the end user, the manufacture would be liable in the eyes of the law..

wemorgan: You may want to contact the manufacture direct to see if they will assist.

I've heard back from HSD, the parts manufacturer and they will not replace the parts. They speculate that the parts were damaged whilst fitting and that the protective coating was broken.

I obviously don't agree with this so now have a long w/e ahead of me, stripping, cleaning and waxing the parts. It seems this will be a bi-annual task for me as long as I own the car. I never knew such parts were high maintenance. Live and learn.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom