Are my alloys knackered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgurk

Car
2002 C270 CDI Estate Auto
I'm the proud owner of my first M-B, C270CDI Estate (Avantgarde, Auto, Leather) and the car is a joy. What's slightly less of a joy, and something I probably should have noticed before agreeing the purchase, is the state of the alloys. They're quite badly bubbled (looks odd - thought at first it was chewing gum stuck to the wheels!) and in one place fingernail pressure caused the coating to lift/split in a small area. Will post a close-up photo, but wondered if it was worth having the wheels refurbed or are they corroded and knacked? They're standard (from what I can see) 16s, taking a 205/55 tyre. Here's a pic showing the car and wheels - if anyone can tell me what type these wheels are I'd be grateful.

Am I right in thinking that my car is S203?

Attachments

• 794c.jpg
    794c.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 141
You have the shiny diamond cut finish on them. It doesn't last long as the lacquer doesn't adhere well to the metal.

Best bet is have then refurbished but in a painted finish instead as this will last considerably longer.

Take them to a proper refurb company and they'll look like new again.

Yes as above. You can get Chrome paints now that last very well and look good. That blue is so nice do not go for a black chrome,, they would be too dark in my veiw.

Welcome to the forum, and the car does look good

Yes an S203

You could try you MB dealer and see if they would exchange the wheels under warranty/good will.

My dealer quoted £65 per rim for a refurb..

I'm the proud owner of my first M-B, C270CDI Estate (Avantgarde, Auto, Leather) and the car is a joy. What's slightly less of a joy, and something I probably should have noticed before agreeing the purchase, is the state of the alloys. They're quite badly bubbled (looks odd - thought at first it was chewing gum stuck to the wheels!) and in one place fingernail pressure caused the coating to lift/split in a small area. Will post a close-up photo, but wondered if it was worth having the wheels refurbed or are they corroded and knacked? They're standard (from what I can see) 16s, taking a 205/55 tyre. Here's a pic showing the car and wheels - if anyone can tell me what type these wheels are I'd be grateful.

Am I right in thinking that my car is S203?

You should be able to get them refurbished for under £200, and to answer your question, they might be here ,http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/mercedes_alloy_wheels/c_class_estate_s203_alloys, hard to tell from your photo, do they have AMG on them? Possibly these AMG I ALLOYS but they are 17" http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/mercedes_alloy_wheels/c_class_estate_s203_alloys/17_amg_i_wheel_185

Last edited:
for some reason I can never type
a v a n t g u a r d e on this forum, it always disappears

Those are the standard pre facelift Avantgarde alloys for the W/S203. If you are going to get them refurbished as mentioned above go for a painted finesh instead.

for some reason I can never type
a v a n t g u a r d e on this forum, it always disappears

Its because you are spelling it incorrectly should be spelt Avantgarde.

test post

**********e

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom