Are my elecric windows linked to the ABS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
About once a month my ABS warning light comes on. The next time I drive the car is isn't on and as it only occurs so infrequently I haven't done anything about it except clean the front ABS sensors. Today I noticed that whilst the ABS light was on, the one touch 'down' feature on the front windows doesn't work, although they operate ok up and down without using one touch. Got home, turned engine off, re-started and hey presto, ABS light off and one touch working..Any ideas? Surely they must be linked somehow? Maybe a common fuse? connection?

No your windows are not linked to ABS, and there must be 2 faults here.

At first thought a loose connection came to mind, but that cant be the case as the windows would have lost their memory,not easy

Umm...strange one. I must admit it is the first time I have tried the one touch on the windows whilst the ABS light has been on. It just seems almost too coincidental that as soon as the ABS light is not on then the one touch works??? Bizzare, eh?

I would say that if you have a OVP relay on your car then do check this out for dry joints as this can randomly turn off the ABS and could upset the windows.

128 in the link

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=717.465&CT=F&cat=45H&SID=54&SGR=045&SGN=05

You will also notice that this fuse box has 2 lids, there are modified lids and seals now for these boxes as water can get in and this could give problems with the front SAM, do check for any moisture under the SAM

Slightly related I guess - but won't fix your problem...

...on recent models, windows automatically close in an emergency stop situation. I forget what what it's called now, but it's something like WACIAESS:

Windows-Automatically-Close-In-An-Emergency-Stop-Situation-atronic.

I would say that if you have a OVP relay on your car then do check this out for dry joints as this can randomly turn off the ABS and could upset the windows.

128 in the link

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=717.465&CT=F&cat=45H&SID=54&SGR=045&SGN=05

You will also notice that this fuse box has 2 lids, there are modified lids and seals now for these boxes as water can get in and this could give problems with the front SAM, do check for any moisture under the SAM

I see the SAM (whatever that is) is item 53 on the link page, and the item 128 (OVP Relay, what ever OVP is) but the diagram doesn't show exactly where I would find them..Any ideas?

I cant say exactly, but the OVP relay has a fuse on top.

If any moisture gets into this box it can cause odd faults

The modified covers are part number A 202 545 14 03 (small ) and A 208 545 0305 (large)

reflexboy

If your car is not used frequently, or only for short journeys, then the battery will be low on power and that will put the ABS light on.

The ABS function will not work, but the brakes themselves will work.

I cant say exactly, but the OVP relay has a fuse on top.

If any moisture gets into this box it can cause odd faults

The modified covers are part number A 202 545 14 03 (small ) and A 208 545 0305 (large)

Thanks Malcolm-I will have a snoop around under the bonnet when I get my next day off. Thank you for your help.-Jim.

Re low batteries and ABS it the battery has a bad cell taking down the voltage, the what we call a starting blip can occur at the start. If however the lamp is not on at the start then it is not the battery

Well, I drove to the shops then went shopping and when I re-started the car the lamp was on. In the past it normally comes on at random times when I am driving. It has never really bothered me as it is so infrequent, but I was just curious today when I also realised the one touch was affected as well.

Well, I drove to the shops then went shopping and when I re-started the car the lamp was on. In the past it normally comes on at random times when I am driving. It has never really bothered me as it is so infrequent, but I was just curious today when I also realised the one touch was affected as well.

I do not think that you have a battery problem, even for the ABS unless the standing voltage was under 11.5v but this could put it on when driving if the running voltage was low as well, I just do not think that is the problem here.

With all electric faults start with basic and be sur the you have 12.5 volt before you start in the morning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom