Are my engine mounts gone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tristand

Car
E250 CDI Coupe(C207) Year 2009 & 500 SEC(C126.044)
Hi,

Been doing a bit of googling to try and work out why the car is vibrating first thing in the morning.

Here are the symptoms-
* Car starts fine
* Engage Drive, the car vibrates and I hear a bit of squeaking sound from up front in time with the vibration
* Engage Reverse, the vibration is more pronounced as is the squeaking sound
* Put it into Neutral or Park and the vibration and squeaking sound disappears
* Drive for about a mile or two(5-7 minutes) and when in Drive (Stopped in Traffic) the vibration significantly reduced, to the level where it is barely perceivable. The Squeaking sound disappears as well.

I've tried the procedure outlined here How to check for bad engine mounts on a Mercedes Benz - Mercedes Medic

There is movement from the engine both in Drive and Reverse, but not to the extent as seen in the video.

I'm hoping that is is the engine mounts and replacement will solve the vibration and noise issues. Gear changes are smooth.

If it is the engine mounts, how much would replacements(3) cost, between £50-£100 each?
What amount of labour should I expect, about 3 hours or so?

Car is a 2006 CLK 200 with 78K miles on the clock.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tristan

check the cooling fan, if its central in the shroud, you mounts will be okay, if not, the mounts will be shot.

Do you have a manual or automatic box? If automatic I would suspect a problem with the torque convertor--- Have you checked the gearbox fluid for level or contamination? It might be the valeo radiator problem where the automatic transmission fluid gets contaminated by coolant from corrosion in the radiator heat exchanger coil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom