Are OE MB supplied batteries different from the retail versions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't use the autofold. It WILL lead to mirrors failing - can be folding, can be power up/down etc - sooner than they would otherwise. When I got it, my second E500 had problems on both sides; and the wiring was a real rat's nest behind the covers.

Apropos the batteries, I bought a new one from MB for not much more than the online price of that Varta - about £20 or so. I was in a hurry, and they had one in stock.
Good point on the autofold. Obvious when you think about it.

I always turn auto fold off in winter, thinking I should do it all year round now !?!

I have noticed that the W211 320CDi has sometimes taken longer to start, especially when not used for a number of days.

Sometimes it is almost instant, other times it may take 2 seconds or so before it fires up.

The glow plug light extinguishes quickly, the fuel pump can be heard to prime the fuel system so I am leaning towards a battery that needs replacing, and having just checked the battery voltage I saw 12.14V.

The car has however not been used since Friday when it covered around 15 miles and has not been used much for the last 10 days.

I tried to look at the date stamp on the negative post but it is unreadable, there is a label on the battery which is an MB-supplied part but am unsure if this number also relates to any manufacturing date?

The label reads A 005 541 10 01 as per the attached picture.

The battery is a fairly standard 019 type of 95AH and 850CCA, I am unsure if it is an AGM or not but the car does not have Stop/Start but I think AGM or conventional Lead plate type are both suitable. I have found several retailers online selling what seems to be the identical Varta battery (AGM ) for £175 which is reasonable.

My question is are OE MB batteries any different from the retail versions apart from the MB Logo? I intend to give the car a run tomorrow and see what the voltage is overnight but I feel a replacement is due anyway.

Same battery -

Thank you for that, it looks like a good piece of kit. I had a CTEK but it failed quite quickly.

Do you leave the car battery connected in the car when trickle charging with this unit?

It's been reliable for a year so far and I've used the 7423 constantly and the 7428 a good 20 to 30 times so far and it has been very good.

Yes, I leave my main battery connected in the Merc with the 7423 connected and it's connected through the positive and ground under the bonnet (I close the bonnet onto the latch).

I've had a Ctek for about fve years and have had no problems with it. If I ever need to charge a badly discharged battery quickly, I also have an old (30 years-ish) 10 amp Halfords charger which still does the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom