Are pressed plates legal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
After much conflicting information online I thought I would ask this question here..

After seeing the pressed plates some members on here (mainly David :bannana:) have I am really interested in getting a set..

These are the ones I am looking at METAL HYDRAULICALLY PRESSED EMBOSSED CAR NUMBER PLATES (REG PLATE) WITH GB LOGO | eBay

They claim to be DVLA approved, have all the required info printed on them such as manufacturer postcode... and most importantly be 'retro-reflective'

Their sales pitch:

100% FULLY APPROVED, DIN CERTIFIFIED RETROREFLECTIVE LEGAL PLATES

MANUFACTURED ON HYDRAULIC PRESS

EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY

HIGHLY DURABLE PLATES

3M MATERIALS

CONFORMS TO BS AU 145d STANDARDS (LEGAL REQUIREMENT)

CONFORMS TO ISO7591 STANDARDS (SOME OTHERS SELLERS DO NOT HAVE THIS)

CONFORMS TO DIN74069 (SOME OTHER SELLERS DO NOT HAVE THIS)

THE LEGALLY REQUIRED POSTCODE AND BS CODE ARE LASERED (AS OPPOSED TO PRINTED) AND LESS INTRUSIVE

WILL NOT PEEL OR BUBBLE AND CAN EVEN WITHSTAND JETWASH CLEANING!

MACHINERY, RAW MATERIALS & PLATES FROM GERMANY AND WITH FULL REGULATORY CONTROL

NO PRESS MARKS OR TOOL SILHOUETTES ON PLATES

Opinions?

There's been a lot about these on this board over the years. One policeman came on and said no, as metal isn't reflective.
But these people say WE ARE A DVLA APPROVED AND AUTHORISED MANUFACTURER OF NUMBER PLATES (RNPS 48951)
So take your chances!

They can't be a legal supplier - otherwise you would have to provide both proof of identity and proof of entitlement (for the registration number) in order to buy plates from them. This is required by law.

It looks like they will supply plates with any registration you give them in the 'note to seller' box.

They can't be a legal supplier - otherwise you would have to provide both proof of identity and proof of entitlement (for the registration number) in order to buy plates from them. This is required by law.

It looks like they will supply plates with any registration you give them in the 'note to seller' box.

The popular Platesforcars.co.uk website doesn't ask for proof either.

Unfortunately different policemen have different views on metal number plates. If you're looking for something extra smart I suggest you have a look at Platesforcars' raised gel 3D plates. Perfectly legal provided you opt for the UK-legal display (name of manufacturer etc). I've had them for years and never a problem.

The popular Platesforcars.co.uk website doesn't ask for proof either.

As mentioned legal suppliers are obliged to ask for this.

2. One example of an identity document and one example of an entitlement document should be provided. The preferred documents are a current photocard driving licence and a V5 and the supplier should accept alternatives only if these are unavailable. The type of document provided should be indicated on the form.

https://www.bnma.org/legislation.html

Reading between the lines, it seems like as long as the character spacing is correct, and the plates are the correct colour(s) and retroreflective, then they can be pressed.

These days it's more important what the ANPR camera says than an individual policeman; most wouldn't look twice unless the camera flags it as unreadable.

I considered the metal pressed plates, but ended up buying the 3D gel plates and glad I did as they look great.

The main reason being that the pressed plates are not glossy/shiny when compared to the gel plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought pressed metal plates years ago, passes every MOT no problem.

Russ

Pressed plates for me, no MOT failures, I have even got picked up for speeding.

So works for me, they have been on the car for about 2 years.

I've just ordered a pair for the 190 , just the plain number with no badges or symbols .

I was needing plates for the trailer and cycle carrier , so thought I may as well get new ones for the car , so I ordered a pair of metal ones and an odd plastic rear one , which together with the rear one coming off the car , will be all I need .

Since all this retroreflective and BS AU malarky was introduced after my car was made , and you don't have to update older plates , anyone would have a challenge PROVING that my plates hadn't been on my car since before the regulations changed .

Oh , and as for the requirement to show documents , last time I checked that was only in England & Wales ; it hadn't been adopted into Scots Law , even though some English based companies like Halfords ask for them , there are other places which don't .

My plates are coming from Ireland .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom