Are SClass lighting circuits intelligent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJayUK

Car
ML320 W163, E320 W210 & Jaguar X300-XJR6
Hi everyone...

I posted a little while ago about changing some of the interior lights in my W220 with LED's as they had stopped working. So I bought some rather nice 12v blue led's from my local Halfords which I installed into the existing front & rear footwell lamp units. The LED's are purpose built and need no resistor so claim to be a simple job of connecting to 12V. After a few days of seeming to work ok, they have started to exhibit an odd behavior. Basically if I switch the headlights on with ignition on but the engine off, the led lights come on for a second or two and then switch off. If I start the engine first and then switch the lights on they work fine.

It looks like there is some form of over or under voltage detection going on or a processor module is getting confused. This all seems rather strange as the original lamps were LED's and the new ones I fitted are only rated at 20ma each which is nothing.

Does anybody know whether the lighting circuits have some form of voltage or current detection?

Damn sneaky these Germans, setting the car to self destruct if the electrics are tampered with! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom