Are some people incapable of dealing with 50mph limits in narrow lanes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mack100

Car
E 220
I live in Camberley and enter the London bound M3 at J3. Due to road widening schemes its 50mph average speed checks all the way to J2 which is the M25 junction.

This week and last week I have seen the recent aftermath of 2 incidents involving multiple vehicles. The one last night had all 3 emergency services attending and 1 vehicle looked to be burned out. Both incidents obviously closed the east bound carriageway.

I'm at a loss to understand this behaviour, it seems that people are mesmerised by the concrete barrier next to lane 3 and simply collide with it.
Rant over:D but I may just find a safer route for a while.

I have driven through these road works twice recently, both early morning (circa 7am and 6am on the way to Gatwick or Heathrow) on both occasions people were drifting across the lane markings and one had to swerve to avoid the barrier.

I have driven through these road works twice recently, both early morning (circa 7am and 6am on the way to Gatwick or Heathrow) on both occasions people were drifting across the lane markings and one had to swerve to avoid the barrier.

Probably still asleep, or suffering from the after effects of the previous evenings sleeping tablets ;)

Driving skills have reached such a low I am surprised if I make it home without being hit by something.

Silly people are worried they will hit the barriers. So they look at them, you then naturally steer slightly towards what your looking at and it all ends badly.

+1 I too live in Camberley....fed up of roadworks everywhere....

We saw a major smash there in the M25-bound carriageway last weekend. Fortunately we were going the other way.

Silly people are worried they will hit the barriers. So they look at them, you then naturally steer slightly towards what your looking at and it all ends badly.

Very true, Millbrook And Nardo's procedure was always if your on the high speed bowl in the outer lane, never stare at the barrier....always directly at the lane 100/200 yards ahead.......follow the barrier and that's what you will hit! :D

We saw a major smash there in the M25-bound carriageway last weekend. Fortunately we were going the other way.

were you rubber necking? :D

I know that stretch of road well, before it was the westward side that had roadworks for over two years... and interestingly the 50mph was kept in perpetuum for some reason.

Of course the driver is responsible, but... roads can be 'forgiving' or 'punishing' in relation to driver's error. Whoever designed the temporary lane layout for the roadworks should review their work.

Last edited:
I think that it also may be the case of drivers continually checking their speedometers so as to not exceed the Average Speed Camera 50 mph limit, taking their eyes off the road and accidentally colliding with other vehicles/barriers in close quarters.

I think that it also may be the case of drivers continually checking their speedometers so as to not exceed the Average Speed Camera 50 mph limit, taking their eyes off the road and accidentally colliding with other vehicles/barriers in close quarters.

AKA driving too close to the vehicle in front.

Rant over:D but I may just find a safer route for a while.

You can guarantee that you'll have a long wait at the Sunningdale level crossing on the A30 every day!

Why do drivers sit alongside other vehicles for interminable periods? Is it a comfort thing? Perfectly okay when in very slow, congested conditions but otherwise just exhibits lack of awareness and planning.

narrow lanes you say?

Looks like a German Autobahn compared to the "road" leading up to my son's house. I always chicken out and leave my car at the bottom of the road then phone him (after getting out of the car!) to come and collect me in his old and very battered Land Cruiser.

That stretch of road is lovely.

The funniest crash I have seen in the 50 section was a cop car that had stopped, been rear ended and then 10 other vehicles had rear ended them. Is it so difficult to look down the road and not crash into people?

Why do drivers sit alongside other vehicles for interminable periods? Is it a comfort thing? Perfectly okay when in very slow, congested conditions but otherwise just exhibits lack of awareness and planning.

I often wonder why people often sit in someone's rear 3/4 blind spot for interminable periods : I so often make a shoulder check when thinking of changing lane further ahead , only to find someone sitting level with my back wheel in an adjacent lane and making no attempt to pass , even though nothing is preventing them doing so .

I'm sure it isn't that they're admiring my car .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom