Are the dampers on the back of an Airmatic 211 estate conventional ones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Hi, been looking into my options for refreshing the dampers on my 211 and wondered if someone can confirm that the rear dampers are definitely conventional, non-electric ones.

When I bought I read all about the air suspension and variable damping but having dug a bit more it might be that the variable damper part only applies to the front struts and that at the rear it has air springs but conventional dampers.

Can anyone confirm that I have this right?

Thanks

Yes they are - but they have additional reserves that make it look like a double damper. So as the car goes up and down in height to level itself the dampers are always able to maintain the same damping bound and rebound rates

Yes they are - but they have additional reserves that make it look like a double damper. So as the car goes up and down in height to level itself the dampers are always able to maintain the same damping bound and rebound rates

Thanks FBAMG

Afaik it has air suspension but variable valve [ level?] hydraulic dampers.
There's a useful thread here W211 Airmatic to Coilover Conversion - DONE! - MBWorld.org Forums

Thanks Grober - I have seen the photo of one with the secondary external reservoir and the cable.

Armed with this I went back to the GSF site and compared it to the ECP offerings.

Looks like the GSF one is not and airmatic one, the ECP one is.

The other difference is price - £90 vs £390 per side. B**ger.

Oh well, back to getting the Airmatic problem diagnosed tomorrow - will put the (rear) damper refresh plan on hold for a while.

Earlier in the day I idly Googled this topic and to my horror I found a thread started here by me just over two years ago asking the exact same question. What's even worse I'd worked out the answer myself.

I'll get my coat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom