Are there any fellow aircraft enthusiasts in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought this today. Looking forward to getting stuck into it.
54d21e99651d53b38f8ea900fed3815a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the subject of rare aircraft, there are more and more 'proper' BF109s now in airworthy condition. I have a particular affinity with the Messerschmitt Stiftung's G-10, I have a model I made of it in my cabinet (see earlier posting images)
They sound phenomenal with their massive (for the size of the aircraft) Daimler Benz DB605 engines with that distinctive supercharger whine....
At the end of the war they were getti g 2000hp out of these engines with stuff like Nitrous Oxide etc.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As an addendum to my last post, I meant proper 109s and not the licence built Hispano Merlin powered 109s. (not that I'm dissing the mighty Merlin though!!) thid is a Benz forum after all! ;)

Last edited:
On the subject of rare aircraft, there are more and more 'proper' BF109s now in airworthy condition. I have a particular affinity with the Messerschmitt Stiftung's G-10

You know this aircraft is reportedly a re-engined HA-1112, and not actually a proper (original) Bf 109?

FalkeEins - the Luftwaffe blog: Hans Dittes ex-Hispano Bf 109 G-10 (G-6/AS) 'Black 2' and the aircraft of wilde Sau ace Friedrich-Karl Müller of NJGr. 10 and NJG 11

AFAIK there are only 2 or 3 airworthy Bf 109s worldwide, although I think there are a couple more HA-1112s that have had the Merlin replaced with a DB 602.

You know this aircraft is reportedly a re-engined HA-1112, and not actually a proper (original) Bf 109?

FalkeEins - the Luftwaffe blog: Hans Dittes ex-Hispano Bf 109 G-10 (G-6/AS) 'Black 2' and the aircraft of wilde Sau ace Friedrich-Karl Müller of NJGr. 10 and NJG 11

AFAIK there are only 2 or 3 airworthy Bf 109s worldwide, although I think there are a couple more HA-1112s that have had the Merlin replaced with a DB 602.
Yep it was.
I had to do extensive research on it before building the kit. I have a book on it.
I guess what I should have written was - 109s with the proper DB motors in the front. :)

I have (im that sad) an extensive archive and collection of books on my favourite aircraft, the Spitfire. One of them is a modelling book. The Spitfire in that article is featured in it, along with images. I did contemplate building a model of it as its not really a difficult conversion - but it just didn't seem right to put German markings onto such an iconic aircraft.
(even if history documents it happened!!) :)

One for @baxlin really. A friend of mine has a fairly long history with aircraft of various sorts, and a few years back, he enlisted my help with a project. He’d somehow acquired ownership of the Hunter Gate Guardian at Credenhill. I wasn’t able to be there for the whole exercise, but did help with getting it off the pedestals, dragging it onto a nearby hard standing and begin the process of stripping it down to bits small enough to move. He moved to France a few years back and took all his toys with him. Last time we spoke, he tells me the Hunter is back in one piece.

I’ll try and find some of the pictures.

Similarly a pal of mine owns the Inverness Air Museum. He too has a lovely little Hunter, albeit in primer just now.
He also has a JP T5 sat in his garden!! Quite novel helping put it back together when it arrived in bits on the back of a flatbed.
IMG_20181202_163723.jpg
FB_IMG_1448832251524.jpg Oh yes and a flying example that he keeps at Perth Aerodrome.

That trumps my mate I think! He’s got a Chipmunk and some flavour of micro-plane that are both airworthy, plus a Druid Turbulent hanging in the barn.

He does have his own airstrip though, which is handy I suppose. A bonus of having a humongous sunflower farm.

That trumps my mate I think! He’s got a Chipmunk and some flavour of micro-plane that are both airworthy, plus a Druid Turbulent hanging in the barn.

He does have his own airstrip though, which is handy I suppose. A bonus of having a humongous sunflower farm.
My mate just works offshore driving an ROV for a living - stupid money!
Im not jealous or anything!! ;)

Prompted by this conversation, I tried to find some pictures. Failed so far, I suspect I never scanned them so will have to manually search photo albums(!), but I did find the registration of the Hunter and discovered it was 1994 we moved if from Credenhill - good grief.......time does fly.

I also discovered that either Credenhill had two different Hunters as gate guards in it's history, or someone has got their records mixed up. WT651 (possibly?), and XG252 which I know for a fact was there as I helped remove it.

Which reminds me, I also still have a rear view mirror from a Hunter kicking about and a practice round from the Aden cannon. My mate purchased several tons of Hunter spares from RAF surplus at one point as well so I got a gift. I did ask for a seat, but not surprisingly, the only one he had was in the plane itself and he wasn't giving that away ;)

I know the memory can play tricks, but I'm pretty certain XG252 had the guns in when we got it. It certainly had residual fluids in it as we got very messy. Of the bits I did, it mostly came apart really nicely without too many stuck screws. Shame I wasn't able to stick around for the entire job really.

On more prosaic topics, I did the whole Airfix/balsawood/RC thing too. Started with free flight gliders and Jetex stuff (which invariably ended in a small pile of burning balsa and doped tissue), then on to control line and then the heady heights of R/C at the age of 12. I kept up an interest in R/C off & on until about 6 years ago. I was moving house and decided to just offload the entire lot onto a lad over the road who was interested. He got quite a collection of stuff including a rather nice R/C helicopter. I think he appreciated it.

My dear and sadly departed friend - Gordon Levett - has amongst his many distinctions the place in history of shooting down a Spitfire whilst flying a 109. Somewhat remarkable as he was an ex RAF WWII Spitfire pilot.

You can buy his book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Under-Two-Flags-Independence/dp/0714641022&tag=amazon0e9db-21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A remarkable story indeed.

I think though he was actually flying a Czechoslovakian Avia S-199 at the time, which was a Messerschmitt BF-109G clone built after the War (and using a different engine as the original MB engine was no longer available).

....and he even has a Wikipedia page:

Gordon Levett - Wikipedia

'Levett joined [Israel Air Force] Squadron 101 in November 1948... In that unlikely dogfight, Israeli pilots flying Nazi-designed Avias downed several English-made Spitfires flown by the Egyptians.'

Last edited:
Did the R C heli for a few years, built a scale Alouette with a turbine but was too scared to ever fly it as i was a bit of a crasher. Like to fly the full motion simulators now, going for 4 hours to Sywell on the 23rd

A remarkable story indeed.

I think though he was actually flying a Czechoslovakian Avia S-199 at the time, which was a Messerschmitt BF-109G clone built after the War (and using a different engine as the original MB engine was no longer available).

You can still get them from ECP (with 30% off using code 12OCLOCKHIGH if you wait until Bank Holiday Monday).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom