Are these any good or just a gimmick?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Anker® Compact Car Jump Starter and Portable Charger Power Bank with 400A Peak Current, Advanced Safety Protection and Built-In LED Flashlight

I saw this a few days ago and it has popped up again on Amazon but at a cheaper price for a few hours. I was thinking of buying a portable power pack for the phone etc and this seemed like a good idea, although it's not powerful enough for my oil burner but may be handy for our other vehicles.

Anker are reputable so have concerns over the brand/quality and their 18 month warranty is excellent from my experience.

Anker® Compact Car Jump Starter and Portable Charger: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

61jvE8Z1dFL._SL1000_.jpg

Probably ok for a small engine, but if you buy one, make sure to plug in first THEN attach the Croc Clips. The connector will vapourise otherwise.

Snag with all these things, you have to roemeber to keep it charged.. Otherwwise, when you need it, it's not there.

Don't pay more than about £27...

Glad you raised this post Bob as I have been thinking about getting one of these for my E55. I seem to have a small power drain which I will have looked at early next year at service time, but I want a booster in case I am let down at any time with a low battery.

Anyone have an idea what output I'd need to turn over an E55 V8 engine with a flat/low battery?
Any recommendations for a brand/model?

Probably ok for a small engine, but if you buy one, make sure to plug in first THEN attach the Croc Clips. The connector will vapourise otherwise.

Snag with all these things, you have to roemeber to keep it charged.. Otherwwise, when you need it, it's not there.

Don't pay more than about £27...

I have seen some cheaper alternatives but not too sure on their quality. I trust Anker as any problems and they will refund in the 18 months, and most of the time do not want the failed unit back either. I recently had a 5 port USB charger with one port fail after 20 months. Not the end of the world but they gave me 20% off my next purchase.

@AMGeed

I guess I too am waiting for someone who has one (not necessarily the Anker one) to give a valid review

Glad you raised this post Bob as I have been thinking about getting one of these for my E55. I seem to have a small power drain which I will have looked at early next year at service time, but I want a booster in case I am let down at any time with a low battery.

Anyone have an idea what output I'd need to turn over an E55 V8 engine with a flat/low battery?
Any recommendations for a brand/model?

This one claims to jump start up to 6.0L petrols

NOCO Genius Boost UltraSafe GB30 Jump Starter 12 V Lithium: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

I have a Genius unit and it does indeed jump start anything, repeatedly. Wouldn't have believed it if it hadn't done it myself. BMW 330d started with a totally dead battery multiple times, and it wasn't getting any slower each time either.

Anyone have an idea what output I'd need to turn over an E55 V8 engine with a flat/low battery? Any recommendations for a brand/model?

There you go. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I got given that exact one as a birthday pressie earlier in the year !
Wouldn't start mine from flat I'm afraid, and that was after a near 24 hr charge. I gave it to my daughter for her 1.8 diesel golf and it works fine, so in my experience I would go for a larger version.
Meanwhile I'll use good old jump leads if need be.

I bought one of these type of starters at the start of the year of the after it was discussed on the forum and recommended by other members.At the time I had a drain on 500sl and even after it was stood for three weeks with completely flat battery it worked straight away no voltage spikes problems.

Turnigy Jump Start Mobile Power Station.

It has been very good and been borrowed by family and friends and started everything from a mercedes ml to a transit van but I know you need the 12000mah for bigger engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom