Are we normalising terrorism?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would normally just skip past something like this but you are right, it is odd that it is included into news.

I always suspected the BBC are prone to put everything up and allow interest to dictate precedence. But that can't be right as nobody cares who runs the blood crazed brotherhood of chip on the shoulder.

Relax dear - it's only a replacement for the world's most hated man.

Give it another 10 years, and the US forces might locate him.

Hint to the CIA..... try his house first.

Because the BBC likes to give lots of credibility (at our expense) to unworthy people.

We really really need decent non-leftie non-handwringing news and media channel that asks proper questions, tells it as it is and sets its priorities appropriately - and snorts with derision at scum, terrorists, politicians and B/S'ers.

Instead we have the BBC cosying up with the politicians and meekly - but self righteously - saying everything's actually OK except when it comes to the media religion of climate change because on that they have to reiterate that we're all going to die.

I want a news channel with attitude.

:eek: Dryce - I want a news channel with attitude.

I am not sure why, (we all have one of our own anyway). No attitude at all would suit me better.

BBC News - Ayman al-Zawahiri appointed as al-Qaeda leader

BBC News top story - above everything else that is actually affecting this country.

Its normalising the whole issue of terrorism - using language like 'he's been appointed leader'.

Why is it the top story????

I think it's the top story so that the Pakistani Government have a picture of him, so when they get on the bus they might recognise the worlds most wanted man sitting next to them:D:D Assuming we have sent this to Pakistan of course:D:D

Not really a BBC thing - Times, Telegraph, Independent websites also feature this story prominently. I'd say it's worth featuring as it shows the group's intent on continuing terrorist activity following Bin Laden's death. Chances are, they'll be looking to make a statement to prove their potency by attempting a large attack.

Chances are, they'll be looking to make a statement to prove their potency by attempting a large attack.

Yawn. Or then again not because a public failure is damaging.

They just want to be noticed. And sadly our compliant media is acting as their PR. I wonder what the equivalent value is compared with political or business advertising costs.

I've found this to be about the most unbiased:

AJE - Al Jazeera English

I'll agree that I like Al Jazeera as a general news channel - much prefer it to BBC's world news service or CNN when travelling. But it comes with other baggage and a different agenda of omission.

Russia Today is a bit of a hoot though.

Are we normalising terrorism? No...its been normal for decades. Everywhere.

Not really. The fear of it might be normal. But actual terrorism? Very unusual in most areas.

Compared with the Indonesian and Japanese tsunamis? Negligible. Even disruption - compared with the Icelandic volcano last year? Again negligible.

Even with aircraft one of the reasons that terrorism stands out is that flying is so safe. If accident statistics were equivalent to those of 40 years ago then we'd see more crashes per month and regular acts of terrorism would be inconsequential. But because accidents are rare acts of terrorism stand out.

Yawn. Or then again not because a public failure is damaging.

They just want to be noticed. And sadly our compliant media is acting as their PR. I wonder what the equivalent value is compared with political or business advertising costs.

Yawn? Nice response. They are more than noticed by the people they attack and by the relatives who are left behind dealing with the consequences of their actions. This isn't a bloody advertising campaign for Katie Price's latest perfume. Still, let's sweep that under the carpet.

Why we give terrorism the oxygen of publicity baffles me.

The more exposure they get the more the media is doing their job for them.

If we didn't mention them maybe they'd just be ostricised...

Not really. The fear of it might be normal. But actual terrorism? Very unusual in most areas.

Compared with the Indonesian and Japanese tsunamis? Negligible. Even disruption - compared with the Icelandic volcano last year? Again negligible.

Even with aircraft one of the reasons that terrorism stands out is that flying is so safe. If accident statistics were equivalent to those of 40 years ago then we'd see more crashes per month and regular acts of terrorism would be inconsequential. But because accidents are rare acts of terrorism stand out.

Of course its normal. If I miss the news, I just say hey ho, probably just the same old normal stuff. There is a terrorist act somewhere in the world every day of the year. It doesn't get any more normal than that.

Blaming the press is facile. The Chinese control the output of their press...does that stop dissent and terrorism?

Our lead story on the local news last night was a baby had survived after being born at 25 weeks. We just thought,low news day...give us the normal interesting stuff please.

Terrorism, as war, is the norm in the world today. Pity we don't address why, rather than try to fight it. The US populace are amazed that anyone would wish to harm them...the fools.

Yawn? Nice response. They are more than noticed by the people they attack and by the relatives who are left behind dealing with the consequences of their actions. This isn't a bloody advertising campaign for Katie Price's latest perfume. Still, let's sweep that under the carpet.

You can put them on a pedestal.

I'll treat them as a disease.

I don't care which particular bacterium is now in charge of the strain. I just want the government and authorities to implement hygiene measures along with the public and get on with it. And I don't want everybody publicising one strain of bacterium as a threat while other more significant problems are being ignored.

Terrorism, as war, is the norm in the world today. Pity we don't address why, rather than try to fight it. The US populace are amazed that anyone would wish to harm them...the fools.

It's *totally* insignificant outside a few countries.

It's a disease - taking passive measures deals with most of the risk and some active measures to preempt the odd potential outbreak.

However it feeds off publicity. Unlike smallpox or polio or influenza it needs credibility. And it gets too much of that from our cringing supplicant media.

The US populace are amazed that anyone would wish to harm them...the fools.

I'm still amazed we haven't had a pop at them after all the "help" they gave us with the IRA. We could of course just take our bat and ball home and refuse to "play out" with them anymore.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom