Are you an employer ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveK

Banned
Car
ML270
Seems that a lot of members on here are at the top of the tree and are either bosses or business owners. So what do you make of this

'The right to request flexible working is to be extended to about 4.5 million parents of children aged up to 16.
Under the current rules the opportunity is limited to parents whose children are under six or disabled.
Following the recommendations of an independent review, Business Secretary John Hutton said the move would give a "big boost" to busy parents.
Leaders of small businesses have criticised the step and said it could be damaging to firms.

I can see the sticker on a business's door now

'We are open when ever our staff decide they want to be ":confused:

yeah it gives a headache sometimes, but we try to encourage working from home wherever possible. It mostly affects our production arm as the office staff tend to be more reliable. but i fear for little businesses like cafes and retail shop outlets

I can see it being a nightmare for some small firms as staff chop and change their hours at will depending on which family crisis is underway at the time.

I would imagine a small business with few staff would remain unaffected as your relationship with your staff is a very close one and people tend to work together for the common interest in my experience.

Depends how small the business is and the employer's relationship with the employees.

I think the work culture in this country is damaging to family life, but on the other hand I am acutely aware of the cost burden of this sort of legislation.

There is I understand, a right for the employer for refusal.

What defines a small business - turnover or staff?

Ade

I think those workers with out families get a rougher deal than those with . They don't seem to cause their employers as many problems ie, sudden days off to cope with sick kids, trips to dentist, out of school activities. Then there is the scramble to all get the same time off for school hols.

I think those workers with out families get a rougher deal than those with . They don't seem to cause their employers as many problems ie, sudden days off to cope with sick kids, trips to dentist, out of school activities. Then there is the scramble to all get the same time off for school hols.

Downer....

As a small business employer with a young family, I think that things need to be kept in perspective - work should support family, not the other way round. (although it does a fair bit in my case...)

Ade

My Staff already have flexi hours, as long as the work is done I dont mind. Saying that I am in a business that can support that, I feel for those who need rigid hours for their staff though

Many small firms need to employ over a certain number of staff before these things apply, was it 16

It's low 20's I think....somewhere around 21-23, won't effect me I'll only ever have 4-5 max as I sub contract everything I can, it's just so much cheaper and less hassle than employing people.

My understanding is that if a business needs rigid hours they can refuse a request reasonably, as now if the child is under 6. I guess the difficult thing is that person may then leave to work more flexiblily elsewhere, if it is an option.

My own view of the red tape is that it is all crazy. I work on my own, and intend to do so for the forseeable future. It gets a bit crazy without admin support, but I prefer the lack of red tape and doing my own typing!

David

Local butty shop got one of those sandwich vans to serve the area and took on a woman to do the daily run around local business's. Guess what ! It didn't turn up round my way for a couple of days and the reason - the woman doing the run can't work lunch time any more as she is having to pick her kids from school at lunch times.

The government definition of a small business is 250 employees or less.

Pretty big then :D

The media company my brother works for has about 60 staff and turns over millions, it would be still classed as a small business. They can certainly afford a few concessions, although my brother (who manages a team of about 15 or so) is constantly struggling with staff issues.

Puts things into perspective.

I guess the difference lies in the types of employees. Mine are qualified graduates and work very closely with me under supervision - I wouldn't get the sandwich shop scenario..

Having said that, sandwich man needs to address that issue or he will soon have no business.

Ade

Employ people only on a "self employed" basis paying them an hourly rate. That circumvents most of these silly restrictions. Also, people paid this way tend to take less time off sick and less holidays. It may seem a more expensive way to pay people but overall its the best system for all concerned.

It's low 20's I think....somewhere around 21-23, won't effect me I'll only ever have 4-5 max as I sub contract everything I can, it's just so much cheaper and less hassle than employing people.

Sub contracting is the only way my business would work. We have four employees, directors, and family members, and then use between thirty and fifty subcontractors.

Employ people only on a "self employed" basis paying them an hourly rate. That circumvents most of these silly restrictions. Also, people paid this way tend to take less time off sick and less holidays. It may seem a more expensive way to pay people but overall its the best system for all concerned.

That's the best way of finding yourelf in not only an employment tribunal but the wrong end of the Inland Revenue. Employment status is determined by your working relationship not by how you pay or what you've agreed.

My apprentice works when I tell him he is going to work :devil::D 8 days a week if possible.

Now voting for the 36 hour day

I read the full document today and there is a list of acceptable reasons to refuse, most of them aimed at the small business. Should be ok.

That's the best way of finding yourelf in not only an employment tribunal but the wrong end of the Inland Revenue. Employment status is determined by your working relationship not by how you pay or what you've agreed.

Nothing in that post that will get you in an employment tribunal, there is nothing wrong with employing contractors or using agency workers.

Kind of important to get the contract and tax right in the first place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom