Are you bothered about where your car ends up?

Do you care where your car ends up after you've sold it?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

Reading another thread I found myself thinking how much people really care about where their car ends up when they sell it... So I thought I'd open it up...

I see both sides to the argument, on the one hand it's just a lump of metal and yet on the other it's maybe given you some great memories on some great journeys.

I suppose my ultimate point would be that if it meant that much to you, you wouldn't be selling it but then again sometimes circumstances dictate otherwise.

Once sold (or more to the point, paid for) generally don't give a toss.

I might think differently about my coupe, but once you decide to sell, it's over.

Used to but past 5/10'years no !!! The cars mine to enjoy then I don't really care where it ends up now ,,,

The chap that sold "his" ML to me had refused to part exchange it (as did not want it going to "some unloved home") and also to a potential previous purchaser as did not like his "attitude".

We had agreed to meet in car park - he turned up and complimented me on the way that my E Class was really clean and the fact that I was already a MB owner.

He sold it to me on the condition that I call him if ever sell it.

Also have an open offer to drive his new Q7 V12.

There are owners who are selective over where their P&J ends up. Credit to them and the chap with the E63 ;)

As previously stated, I was very pleased when an enthusiast on here bought my E320 - future of car known.

I was also very pleased with the deal I got from a main dealer when part ex'ing my E63 6.2 for my current E63 5.5 - future of car unknown.

So, that's a bit of both for me I guess.

I think if you analysed the cars in question you'd find that those that are that bit more special in their owners eyes (a whole new debate) would tick yes and those for whom it's just metal would probably tick no.

Last edited:
In the past I have been unable to afford the luxury of the time it takes to sell privately and then start looking for a new car so I have part-exchanged and not cared what happened to it. In fact, by the time I come to sell, I'm glad to see the back of it.

I suppose it comes down to how you feel about the car emotionally, I feel nothing for my day-to-day cars. However, I have a 1973 MG in the garage which has been family owned since new. I will be selling it as I need the room but I would prefer that it went to an enthusiast (it will have to really as it needs LOADS of work).

It depends on the car.

I've had cars I cared about, and cars that I didn't.

I once chosen one of two buyers of a car as she was a newly passed driver and it'd be her first car.
While chances she'd crash it are obviously higher, those are just chances, but what was a given, is that she'd love the car, post a picture of it on FB with "EEK my baby <3" and remember it the rest of her life, so I sold it to her for less money than the bloke who wanted a cheap runaround offered me.

As above - with any of my cherished cars , I want them to go to someone who will continue to look after them .

On the other hand , some cars I have broken myself , sold for parts or just given away and don't really care what happens to them .

Would rather not sell mine,but unfortunately I'm neither rich nor an owner of a very large barn,so regretfully I have to pass them along eventually.
:-(

Last edited:
Not really, as much as I would love to think it was going to a good home, I would also feel awful if there was a problem with it a few weeks down the road.
I worry about that sort of thing too much, therefore I would rest easier if I didn't sell it on to a private individual.

Couldn't care less. Once I've made the decision to sell then any emotional attachment I had ends there and then.

Because this is a car forum, I'm quite surprised that its roughly 75% no - 25% yes at the minute.

I was a bit upset when I saw who bought my old C-class.

But the cheque helped me get over it. :rolleyes:

The chap that bought my last car was over the moon with it considering the price he paid.

I was just glad to get shot of it, so both happy :)

I put all my effort into maintaining my cars 100%, Mechanically and Cleanless. I get so attached it s unreal.

I like all of my cars to be cared for the same way after i sell them, But usually i doubt they do. I think its better off no knowing what happens after they have gone :(

Gutted when I sold my c230 as needed bigger boot now e320cdi. Loved my c class and really didn't like anyone driving her and it also wanted for nothing BUT there is a line to draw as now have a 16 month old boy and new born baby girl so really don't have the now to lavish like I did on my c class w202 by the way which needed looking after bodywork wise as we all know so now galvanized e is better for me. In the end my young brother had it cheap as he's family plus lives round the corner so can see her anytime which is good and bad as he scratched her almost immediately doh. Anyway he says I own him now as he knows how mad I'd be if he didn't look after it :) .

I also think it depends on the car.

A large percentage of the cars I've had I couldn't care less what happens to them.

Indeed, the owner of one of my previous cars, which was great, got in contact with me and I found out it wasn't quite so well looked after once I'd sold it on (albeit 17 years old so not bad considering).

However, that owner sold it to a racing team so god know what will happen to it...

Do I care? No.

But, if I were to sell my E55 now, I would want it to go to a good home and be looked after.

I'm sure in time, I won't give a monkey's.

So I guess there is some sort of emotional attachment to cars you really like... :dk:

I also think it depends on the car.

But, if I were to sell my E55 now, I would want it to go to a good home and be looked after.

I'm sure in time, I won't give a monkey's.

So I guess there is some sort of emotional attachment to cars you really like... :dk:

This more or less mirrors my feelings too.

Because this is a car forum, I'm quite surprised that its roughly 75% no - 25% yes at the minute.

It depends on the car perhaps.

If I could answer the question for every car we've had it would probably be 75% no - 25% yes.

My W211 was in the 'yes' category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom