Are you brave enough - chrome wrap ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How much does it cost to do that anyway?

Tongue in cheek on - Well you already have an RX8, not garish enough for you? - Tongue in cheek off.

£2,000 and a 5 year life ............. I'd be happy with a 12 month life .......

I found a bigger picture of my avatar:

Attachments

• Chrome E class.jpg
    Chrome E class.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 407
There's the additional cost of having your sons instructed in the correct way to clean and detail chrome, as I'm sure they'll insist on looking after it :thumb:;).

We spent 2 weeks in Monaco this summer and Matt Black is definately in.

We saw a Lambo; Phantom; CLS and new Nissan GTR in matt black - they attracted a great deal of attention because they are unusual, but I guess if you have never been a student trying to keep a car on the road where a Matt Black spray can @ £1.99 is a regular purchase to keep the car looking straight (this was the 80's) then you will think it is unusual.

20 years ago I had 2 cars that were Matt black. Takes a few cans but its cheap and hides the rust.

Things are gladly different for me today.

Last edited:
Chrome-based finishes like that are actually illegal in the UK... in case anyone's tempted!

Night time glare from other headlights?

Now this cant be said any other way...............

NO, NO AND NO AGAIN.

It just might be acceptable for a young(ish) filthy rich playboy on the Rivera with his Lambo or SLR.
Or even by the son of an oil rich Arab in Dubai on his Enzo..................
But not for a Mr average in the UK - even on an E55.
Its not a case of how BRAVE you are - but how foolish.................
IMHO. Sorry.

Last edited:
For the person without taste.....or sight (Think the emperor's new cloths) :doh:

dont spoil a perfectly good E55 ...

Really? Any idea of the legistlation behind that one?

Night time glare from other headlights?

Asked and answered! At least the technical intention of it.

Whilst I have not viewed it personally, I'm led to believe there is something in the Construction & Use regs. that prohibits this type of finish. A guy on one of the BMW sites looked into doing this a few years ago and decided not to for this reason.

I guess even worse would be the sun on a nice day ...

I seem to remember that when Audi did the first aluminium car ( A8 ) they had it unfinished in polished aluminium and it was deemed illegal in the UK .

I saw a (or that, there can't be many) chrome SLR in Clapham (London) a month or so ago, two things struck me....

1. It's a big car in the flesh
2. It looks increadably tacky in chrome, it was just hideous.

Any ideas where you can get parts chromed like this in the Uk?, im thinking its be a good for My motorbike tank and various of bits..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom