Are you happy with your Broadband mob? I wasn't!

Are you happy with the customer service/back office at your ADSL provider?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
Long story, but I have hand enough of the crap customer service at Pipex.

Really loved their broadband, but in my experience (3 connections, 3.5 years) their phone based customer service is not as good as it could be. Helpful people working within a hopeless infrastructure.

All I wanted to do in Sep/Oct was move house. Simple enough. Same building, but different floor (rented flat). Simple enough. Keep the same telephone number. This is where the problems begin.

Seems easy to me - cancel at the first address, and reorder on the same number at the second address. With me? Easy? HELL NO! It's the END OF THE WORLD!

Yesterday was the 5th time in three weeks (yes 5th time) that I have had to call Pipex, because their online system will not accept an order from me, because they have not completely cutoff the account at the previous address.

Yet again I was told, that it would be ok "this time" and that I am free to re-order. I explained the fact that I had been screwed around and that my patience was running out. I was trying to be one of their customers, and they were making extremely difficult for me!

To add insult to injury, every time I re-ordered on the same number their system would tell me "hey thanks for your order, we'll update you soon on the progress of your valued order, blah, blah". Never happened. As it turns out - their system will accept an order from just about anyone but will NOT tell them if the order has failed for the reasons that affected me.

:) I have a load of accepted orders, and nothing more. GRR!

Anyway - long story short. I took a look around the PlusNet site and spoke with them on the phone a few times to see what they were like. Called their tech support number and they answered very quickly. Website looked good, including their mountain of free member services.

Ordered a 2MB service from them, and have had loads of useful emails from them updating me on the status, etc. Looks like it may have been a reasonable decision.

Anyone else with Plusnet? Anyone else unhappy with the customer service of their provider?

I'm very pleased with my NTL broadband, I'm on the 1.5Mb service. Its 99% reliable and very fast, and only very rarely goes offline. But when it does or there is a problem NTL customer service really is crap. I can't believe Pipex is any worse!

Very pleased with Freeserve, BUT I am led to believe that new customers actually have a down load limit. That is WRONG.

John

Ooops Wanadoo sorry Freeserve no longer exists

Last edited:
trtied BT - not happy. mate with nthell hates it. freeserve/wanadoo oversubscribed.

so i use eclipse.. basic good service, not well known. two IT directors i know use it

adslguide.org.uk (google it...) try the compare isp thing.

I think I was rather tolerant with Pipex, and the performance of the link was very good. Just couldn't take it any more.

we are with Tiscali - great provider but if you ever need it the customer service is an Indian call centre so not the best.

Andy

I am on Blueyonder telewest 1.5 mb.
I use a wireless system at home with 2 laptops and a desktop connecting to it.
No problems. :D

Joe

best adsl deal at the moment is the demon 500 home service for £20 buckswww.demon.net

I fell out with Demon a long time ago. Their service (which at the time was quite expensive) was covered by so many clauses and prohibitive rules and was at best unreliable.

At one stage they closed down access to all the bulletin boards without any warning for people who's posts had broken the BBS etiquette which they chose to publish then backdate enforcement of.

I wouldn't use Demon again if they were the last isp on the planet

(just my personal opinion of course)

Andy

I'm with EasyNet. 2MB synchronous service so no problems uploading or downloading. Very very very reliable. Very very good support on the two occasions in the last year I've had to call them. It aint cheap at £199 per month but its worth it!

I've known other with BT who've had lots of problems. sounds like Pipex arn't too good either.

andy_k said:
I wouldn't use Demon again if they were the last isp on the planet

Andy

working for them ......

when it works , its amasing .. when its broken , its really broken...

:) on the comments from Tiscali. My current boss used to be the Operations Director at Tiscali. He tells me funny stories about that place. Quite a clever network actually.

I have got Wanadoo Broadband in the last month. I am very happy with it and wonder how I lived without it.
Its a bargain at 17.99 a month for 1 MB. They say there is a download limit but when I challenged the customer service they say this isn t restricted as they dont have monitoring of usage at the moment. Bought the Broadband in a box which includes the kit. They said it would be up in 10 working days and was pleased when full fuctioning on the fourth day. The box cost 34.95 which included 2 month free sub.IMHO of course.

Cheers
Ian
Oh you may find this link helpful it has a free speed test.
www.adslguide.org

Last edited:
I have the 750kbs from ntl and I have just been gobsmacked when testing the d/l speeds through Limewire. Just been getting 533kbs from an ethernet peer :bannana: scarily fast :crazy:

Generally happy with ntl. Been suffering a lot of outages of late which has been getting annoying - but seems a bit better today and with those speeds I am indeed very happy :bannana: :bannana:

PS that narna is rocking in time with Ultrabeat :D

I would say that if you can get cable to go for it , but if not ... ADSL is a good alternitive.

Cable very rarely goes down TBH . Once in 5 years now ... :eek:

Maybe its me thats special :)

I am with Nildram, the service is good and price is reasonable. Not the cheapest but is reliable. Wanted to go with Zen again but the connection fee was quite high at the time.

Last edited:
Well I am now over a month without broadband, and I am getting very excited about it being reconnected next week.

Going stir crazy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom