Are you insane trading an S500 for a Honda Accord Tourer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s500surrey

Somehow it makes perfect sense (running costs, reliability, service, tourer=family space, spec etc)

But on the other I'm losing a S500 AMG wheels, 0-60 in just over 6 seconds...

Need a reality check before its too late!

s500surrey said:
Somehow it makes perfect sense (running costs, reliability, service, tourer=family space, spec etc)

But on the other I'm losing a S500 AMG wheels, 0-60 in just over 6 seconds...

Need a reality check before its too late!
If you want to reap maximum value you could always buy some stock S500 rims off ebay and sell the AMGs separately, might net you £300 or something ;)

You're insane.

You're swapping a car with gravitas, presence, history, peerless engineering, and excellent dynamic abilities (and AMG wheels) for a bland, ubiquitous rep wagon.

Hondas are okay cars of course blah blah, but its like swapping your plate of fillet steak served on a bed of panchetta with fois gras for a pizza takeaway.

Rose Chap said:
but its like swapping your plate of fillet steak served on a bed of panchetta with fois gras for a pizza takeaway.

Mmmmm - hungry now

Yes, but if the waiter kept taking the fillet steak away halfway through, or it was cold, the vegetables were boiled to death etc etc, you'd get rather hacked off with it, and eventually want the pizza because it was warm, reasonably edible, but always there when you needed it.

fuzzer said:
hmm , if its starting to cost you dude , then dump it ..

Agree with you on that. But it's the choice of replacement car that is questionable. Nothing against Honda Accords particularly but it's driving in a different league.

Mind you all car purchases are personal choices so just because I think he's mad it doesn't make it so.

Give it a week or so and youll know if youve made a mistake or not.

Merc to accord ?? hmmmmm, eek:

DieselE said:
But it's the choice of replacement car that is questionable..... Mind you all car purchases are personal choices so just because I think he's mad it doesn't make it so.

Deisel E or C Class estate ?

Just a thought. Check out the B class. I bought one when it first came out and did 5000 trouble-free miles before stupidly driving an S and falling in love. But I tell you this; the B class is a fine car. Revolutionary in many ways. Which magazine have just made it the safest family car. It has more legroom front and rear than an Accord or than an R class Mercedes. Back seat is wider than E class. Front seats are bigger than those in the ML. Boot is BIGGER than an S class (over 500 litres with seats in place). Hatchback (useful-really an estate). The diesels are lovely. B200cdi is the best of the bunch (0-60 in 9.6 for the auto, which is good enough for normal use) and something incredible like 47 mpg combined figure. We got 50 on a run easily. Collected from factory in Germany and watched them being built. Really interesting.

Then again there is a B200Turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honda CRV (4x4 soft-roader) isn't at all bad and depreciates far less than Accord. I had one for two years. Good family car. But the B is better and great deals around.

In terms of space it is an S class you can park.

That seems quite an insane choice. Different league of car. It seems it has to be more down to affordability. E class estate as already mentioned?

I am going to stick my neck out and ask a question here... Why the lack of Honda love?

In Australia, the Hondas are straight out of Japan and they are excellent. Held in extremely high regard. Incredible build quality and servicing. Honda Accord Euro is the 2005 Australia's Best Cars winner in the Best Mid-size car over $28,000 category.

I had heard that the many of the UK Hondas are made locally. Are they that bad?

Last edited:
OK yes the S is a great car and looks fantastic, but it's build quality is pretty poor. £80k car new that rusts? The Accord is bland, but it will work and will probably do 100k before the first cracks appear. I think if we had this conversation 10 years ago it would be near-insane, but Mercs just aint doing it these days and since Daimler got involved it's gone pear-shaped.

OK so the Honda will be very reliable and will cost very little and will probably cover 200k miles without problems, but it doesn't have "soul" whatever that is.

Will it give you that feeling of satisfaction when you get into it and drive off? will you find that you bond with it at all?

It's "car as disposable consumer item" versus "car as character"

That's why we put up with cars which aren't perhaps as cheap to run as the ubiquitious japanese econo-box - they say something more about us then merely "My life has reached the point where my choice of car is both economical and reliable yet totally dull and devoid of any character"

scotth_uk said:
I am going to stick my neck out and ask a question here... Why the lack of Honda love?

I had heard that the many of the UK Hondas are made locally. Are they that bad?

No they are very good,some models are exported back for the Japanese market.
I think here in the UK Accord pricing is close to BMW whereas in the States and perhaps Australia BMW is seen as far more upmarket and expensive.I'm often amazed how expensive older used BMW's are in the States...sometimes a 7-series is 3 times what it would fetch here.

adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom