Are you proud of your scars (assuming you have some)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
This week I noticed that the National News picked up on Princess Eugenie’s wedding dress as, she designed it to “show off her surgical scars”.

It did the trick for publicity & me, as I read the story that I would not normally have done.

My own surgery left me looking like I lost our in a fight with a Great White Shark. Going swimming led to another adult complaining about my new look and I was asked to “cover up”

I thought at the time of how I wished my complainer knew both myself and my family went through to get to that point (being alive).

But I am proud of my scarring and immensely proud of my Surgeon, the fabulously talented Mr James Gossage. They have helped me to help others about to undergo the same Cancer Surgery I did.

This was 4 years ago. Now the scarring is reduced to pencil lines with a wonderfully romantic and very attractive “Pirates Sword Scar” on my Knick. This I am happy to invent any tales of bravado about.

So any other “proud scar” recipients care to share their stories (true or otherwise)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those scars look serious and make mine pale into insignificance.

I have scars on my head where I had over 30 stitches when a couple of drugged up low life’s decided to bend their snooker cues over my head, but my hair hides most.

I also have a neat scar where I had a inguinal hernia operated on.

Robin.

Most of my scars are from moments when my ambition as a motorcycle rider overcame the talent available to fulfil those ambitions.

I was lucky to survive one particular incident and the scars on my arm from that encounter attract curious glances now and again so my answer is 'yes' I am sort of proud of my scars I earned them and they are uniquely mine, I did not walk into a tattoo parlour and pick them out of a catalogue to help me become more of an individual.

Going swimming led to another adult complaining about my new look and I was asked to “cover up”

I thought at the time of how I wished my complainer knew both myself and my family went through to get to that point (being alive).
I do despair of some people, I really do :mad:

When I was a kid there were still many Great War veterans alive who had suffered significant disfigurement, missing limbs, etc., and also WW2 survivors - both military and civilian - who were also physically scarred. It was much more commonplace and society as a whole was not so obsessed with the airbrushed "perfection" that we see today, so it attracted less attention and comment although I'm sure some did suffer unthinking remarks.

As for me, I have a 4-inch scar on my hip and another the full length of my thigh resulting from surgery to insert a K-Nail when I busted my femur in a motorcycle crash 40+ years ago. My legs tend not to draw much attention - admiring or otherwise - so I don't tend to think much about them, but they are part of "me", so in that sense I suppose I am proud of them.

There's a bit of a theme developing here....
I have several scars ranging from 10" to 1" on my left arm also following a motorcycle accident in 1998.
Lost my wrist and gained a mechano set in the process. :rolleyes:

Glad I never rode a motorbike it seems!

Been fairly lucky so far. Had 4 stitches above my left eye after heading my teammates head instead of the football when I was about 14. A few in my left thumb after nearly slicing it off with a Stanley knife.....I learnt my lesson with Stanley knives for the rest of my days and am very careful now [emoji6]

Picked up a few on my travels, a mixture of bravery and stupidity. At least they remind me I didn't stay home in front of the telly all the time..

Cheers,

Gaz

I've scars galore, years ago my then young Daughters were doing the "what's this one from" bit, we counted over 30.

Surgical scars (2 of) from 8 years old,
numerous from motorcycle aah splats (me being a slow learner kept going back for more),
more recently from paragliding.
Then the trips, falls, head on railings, glass in foot, nail through foot.... the list is longer than I can remember now.

Most scars are discreet but not all. If some clown had a problem seeing it / them I would suggest that they do have a problem.
I think those days of finding a less fortunate soul in a wheel chair, or navigating awkwardly on sticks, or just looking less attractive for any reason, as distasteful and better hidden are long gone.

Well Bruce Scars show toughness, that you have been through it and you are still standing,apart from that you are one sexy beast:eek:

I'm feeling a real wimp, having ridden motorcycles for 48 years and no scars to show for it. I suppose there is still time.

I'm feeling a real wimp, having ridden motorcycles for 48 years and no scars to show for it. I suppose there is still time.

Well everybody knows you are supposed to fall off motorbikes,so be told you have been doing it wrong for years:p

Oh I've fallen off a couple of times, just don't have any lasting scars to show for it. I T boned a U turning taxi and did a graceful somersault over the bonnet, then got up and pushed the bike home. It must of hurt but I don't remember how much and at 17 you bounce back quickly.

Having been lucky enough to go through life without serious injury or need for surgery, the only scars I have are very minor and are also reminders of me being less than clever. So more a matter of resigned to, than proud of.

Longest one I've had (longest time) is a nick on one of my upper eyelids, I can't remember which one because I don't really see it. This was the result of bouncing a steel pipe on our concrete back yard when I was a nipper, could have lost an eye.

A few years later whilst still in short pants,, I ripped open both knees having been ejected from the base/chassis of an old pushchair being towed behind my mates bike around a tightish left-hander.

I have a very faint one on my right thumb, the result of opening King Crab legs in a restaurant in Virginia in '86 and more recently (last year) a small scar on my forehead as a result of head butting the end of an aluminium loft ladder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom