Are you proud of your scars (assuming you have some)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My only scar is one on my lower leg that I got when I fell asleep in front of a gas fire when very drunk, and woke up with 3rd degree burns. Obviously, when people ask about it, I acquired it when gallantly saving children from a blazing school bus, with no thoughts for my own safety etc.

I've scars galore, years ago my then young Daughters were doing the "what's this one from" bit, we counted over 30.

Surgical scars (2 of) from 8 years old,
numerous from motorcycle aah splats (me being a slow learner kept going back for more),
more recently from paragliding.
Then the trips, falls, head on railings, glass in foot, nail through foot.... the list is longer than I can remember now.

Most scars are discreet but not all. If some clown had a problem seeing it / them I would suggest that they do have a problem.
I think those days of finding a less fortunate soul in a wheel chair, or navigating awkwardly on sticks, or just looking less attractive for any reason, as distasteful and better hidden are long gone.

I had a friend like you. - he was eventually banned from a couple of clubs & organisations (sky-diving, hangliding, micro-light) because he was giving the sports a bad name with all his accidents. AS a kid he was always blowing things up and doing crazy stuff. I was amazed that he was still alive when I bumped int him 20 years later.

I had a friend like you. - he was eventually banned from a couple of clubs & organisations (sky-diving, hangliding, micro-light) because he was giving the sports a bad name with all his accidents. AS a kid he was always blowing things up and doing crazy stuff. I was amazed that he was still alive when I bumped int him 20 years later.
Jumping to conclusions there with only part of my story.

Jumping to conclusions there with only part of my story.

Steady on old chap, it was very much a tongue in cheek comment.....

I’ve got quite a few on my knees and shins that came from BMX crashes when I was younger and loads on my palms and backs on hands from many years in the building trade.

Talking points are 30-40mm scars on the inside of each wrist where I slipped with a Stanley knife whilst installing lead panels on two separate occasions with about 8 years in between. Both required stitches and they did look as though it was self inflicted.

In 2015 in our bar I was using the tin opener to remove the lid from a catering sized tin of beans. The opener snapped so I decided to wrench off the lid by hand. Almost 20 stitches and a tetanus in my bum cheek I was back pulling
Mythos. The nurse was pretty fit though.

I've got a scar on my neck where I had my thyroid removed when I was in my 20s (thankfully the surgeon who did my op was good at leaving neat scars, unlike a lady I met who had the same op but the scar wouldn't have looked out of place on Frankenstein's monster!).

Also got several scars on my leg from another motorbike accident, tried to cross a VERY slippery ford and lost control of the bike which fell on me and broke my tibia and fibia. I did get to ride in an air ambulance though! I had a hairy moment when the paramedics were carrying me across a verge to the helicopter but one of them didn't see a ditch and tripped down it - almost tipping me out of the stretcher :confused:.

Can't compete with your scar Bruce (which is quite awesome) and I'd rather look at that than some self inflicted cosmetic enhancements that seem to be all the rage these days o_O

I've had many a broken bone but at 45 I've only one scar. its on the knuckle of my left hand about 1" long. I'm ashamed to say I got it as a result of di*king about at collage whilst attending a plastering course when I was 16. I was messing around with a mate, he said something I didn't like so I sent a punch his way. He instinctively raised his hand to block my punch. Unfortunately for me the hand he raised was holding his plastering trowel and my knuckle slid smoothly along the leading edge. Lucky for me that the knuckle stopped the blade going any deeper.

A quick rinse under the cold water tap (wound flapping) then off to Manchester Royal Hospital for stitches. It certainly taught me a lesson on d*cking about in a working environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bruce, wear them proudly, they can tell a story, of courage and fortitude.:rock:

Ps forget the small minded pillock who would say anything so crass and offensive. :wallbash:

Talking points are 30-40mm scars on the inside of each wrist where I slipped with a Stanley knife whilst installing lead panels on two separate occasions with about 8 years in between. Both required stitches and they did look as though it was self inflicted.
As apprentices with sheet leadwork, the first thing we were told, and it was drummed into us was, " When using your lead knife to cut sheetlead use a straight edge, and ALWAYS keep your free hand, ie. The one not doing the cutting, BEHIND the BLADE, and when holding down the straightedge with your knee, don't cut your leg off."
Happy days.

I have one on the back of my left hand from around the age of 7 messing around with hot tar on bonfire night. A few on both arms and legs from various building site minor accidents although most of them went hand in hand with the job. Bruce should be very proud of his. A testament to him and his surgeon.

I'm very proud of the scar from my penis reduction op;)

I was cutting out a little recess in the under cloak of a welt so that the secret copper clip didn’t bulge through. I used to cut them out freehand with one hand holding a Stanley and the other hand holding the front edge of the panel with the underside of my wrist pretty much exposed to the blade..... one slip and ‘ouch’!!

I since bought a curved mini pair of snips to do it.

I've a nice long scar down my sternum from heart bypass surgery but well hidden by chest hair (too much info?). More impressive is the one on my left leg almost from groin to ankle where the vein was removed to provide the plumbing for the bypass.

Had a "Carry-On Doctor" moment with a couple of my many scars..

It was the 70's and the fashion was for tight-fitting suede jackets. Mine was painful every time I bent my right arm. It turned out the titanium rod that had been inserted 10-years earlier was starting to come out of my elbow, so down to the local hospital I went.

On the day before the operation to remove the titanium rod, the consultant approached me whilst being followed by at least 20 fawning medical students. He was the classic James Robertson Justice type - big beard , bigger ego. He picked up my right arm, looked at the scars from the original operation and announced to the students "those scars are a bloody mess, who did that to you ?".

Having read his name-badge earlier, it was amazingly satisfying to say "you did!".

My son started a medical degree many years later and apparently Consultants are still the same...

Just the usual coming off bikes as a kid scars on my knees and lower abdomen, as well as the usual slips with Stanley knives until you've learnt the hard way.

Bruce, that shark bite scar is very impressive.

My own surgery left me looking like I lost our in a fight with a Great White Shark. Going swimming led to another adult complaining about my new look and I was asked to “cover up”

I do despair of some people, I really do :mad:

When I was a kid there were still many Great War veterans alive who had suffered significant disfigurement, missing limbs, etc., and also WW2 survivors - both military and civilian - who were also physically scarred. It was much more commonplace and society as a whole was not so obsessed with the airbrushed "perfection" that we see today, so it attracted less attention and comment although I'm sure some did suffer unthinking remarks.

I find the whole remarking thing most irritating and I would not be able to stop myself from responding for my sins.

However, I'm pleased to see the BBC have a weather presenter missing a forearm as well as at least two disabled reporters from what I can see.

The more society can do to normalise this "first world problem" (from the perspective of ignorant people), the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom